GorillaTicTacs
+231|6383|Kyiv, Ukraine

usmarine2005 wrote:

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

Someone else kept trying out the "liberal fascist brownshirts" saying.  I saw him try it two or three times here until one of the adults gently corrected him, was it lowing or DavidP, or someone else?
That was that Comrade dude....and people jumped on him for it.  Hence my point.
Double-check your history on that.  I know I let it slide several times.  Sometimes the Coulter/O'Really talking points are so completely ridiculous you can't counter them without sounding like an idiot yourself, which is I think the point.  It feeds into Hitler's "Great Lie" theory that the modern pro-fascist pundits use to such great effect:

Hitler wrote:

In this they proceeded on the sound principle that the magnitude of a lie always contains a certain factor of credibility, since the great masses of the people in the very bottom of their hearts tend to be corrupted rather than consciously and purposely evil, and that, therefore, in view of the primitive simplicity of their minds they more easily fall a victim to a big lie than to a little one, since they themselves lie in little things, but would be ashamed of lies that were too big. Such a falsehood will never enter their heads and they will not be able to believe in the possibility of such monstrous effrontery and infamous misrepresentation in others; yes, even when enlightened on the subject, they will long doubt and waver, and continue to accept at least one of these causes as true. Therefore, something of even the most insolent lie will always remain and stick - a fact which all the great lie-virtuosi and lying-clubs in this world know only too well and also make the most treacherous use of.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

I know I let it slide several times.
not the point
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

m3thod wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

Someone else kept trying out the "liberal fascist brownshirts" saying.  I saw him try it two or three times here until one of the adults gently corrected him, was it lowing or DavidP, or someone else?
That was that Comrade dude....and people jumped on him for it.  Hence my point.
pssstttt

tis Ikar.....
4 realz?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6420|'Murka

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

You're assuming the scope of the entire theatre will be restricted to Iraq in the near future, I'm not so sure.

98G/AD?
MNF-I isn't the entire theater...it's only Iraq. The entire theater is being run by a sailor. I was only talking about Petraeus' position, which is CG MNF-I.

Don't know what 98G/AD is...I'm active duty AF.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6299|Éire
PLEASE, ENOUGH WITH THE LIBERAL/CONSERVATIVE LABELING BULLSHIT.

As GorillaTicTacs has already pointed out in this thread, 'the left' does not consist of a neat bunch of people who all espouse the same beliefs and feel exactly the same regarding every issue. I don't deny that the hypothetical people described in that blog in the OP probably exist but to even attempt to describe the entire 'left' in those terms is utter nonsense. Anyone who would welcome negative news regarding their own country simply to validate their own views is a selfish scumbag.

A citizen is fully entitled to criticise their country's leader if s/he has made decisions that have resulted in negative outcomes. It is the job of our leaders to run our countries as well as possible, it is our responsibility to get on their case if they do not do this properly. It is not our responsibility  to lick their ass whenever they do their job properly, we show our approval at the polls; if they want their ass kissed they are in the wrong profession, they should have went into show business.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6710

usmarine2005 wrote:

Spark wrote:

Heil neocon?
^^^^^^^

So if I said liberal there, you people would shit your pants and their would be like four fucking angry responses within like two minutes of each other.  But this is acceptable?

Roger that.

Liberals Fail.

Liberalism is a disease.
The difference? I know Spark isn't seriously comparing anyone to Hitler. He quoted Cameron's exaggerated comparison to what the OP said and then further exxageratingly compared that quote to something naziesque. I have seen many of Spark's posts and it is my opinion that he is one of the more intelligent people in this section. I cannot say the same for you.

I get the feeling Lowing was serious, and that he does, in fact, harbor a belief that 'liberals' want terrorists to attack again, or for soldiers to die or for the president to look bad solely so that they can make themselves look better. I get the feeling that you were not being facetious when you say that "liberalism is a disease" and that you believe that people you define as liberals hold opinions that are not worth considering, which is ironic considering that in your former (and Lowing's current) profession you were, in part, tasked with upholding everyones right to believe whatever they feel like. I can assure you that I have never met a left-leaning person that has ever intimated that they would like anything bad happen to either the United States as a whole or to any one or more of its citizens. Neither have I met any right-leaning people with similar wishes.

I was, in fact, about to begin writing a rebuttal to Gorillatactic's post in agreement with my own, pointing out that he was, in fact, doing something akin to what Lowing had done, only in reverse, but I then realized it was 5 A.M and my time would be better spent sleeping. Sparks post wasn't worth rebutting since it wasn't serious, though you can be assured if Spark had said something along the lines of "It is my belief that the conservatives secretly harbor a desire for another terrorist attack on the Unites States so their agenda will be bolstered by public support," I would not have sat idly by.

I have the sinking feeling that the message of this post will be entirely lost on its intended audience, however. The conservative/liberal divide is entirely unbeneficial to the country as a whole, and I have little respect for anyone who forms generalized opinions about large groups of people based solely on a single word that they are associated with.
HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6289

Skruples wrote:

Sparks post wasn't worth rebutting since it wasn't serious, though you can be assured if Spark had said something along the lines of "It is my belief that the conservatives secretly harbor a desire for another terrorist attack on the Unites States so their agenda will be bolstered by public support," I would not have sat idly by.
Only reason Sparks would be wrong in that respect is due to the fact that it's not a secret desire. I have honestly lost track of how often I have seen the desire expressed by right wingers for another attack to occur, whether it's out of hoping that next time it'll be mostly "liberals" that are killed or so the American people will finally be convinced to give the government free rein to do whatever they want in the name of fighting terrorism. I have yet to see such a widespread hope for another terrorist attack on American soil expressed so often by those on my side of the fence. Sorry guys, when it comes to people actually openly expressing the desire that their fellow Americans come to harm through terrorism, clean up your own fucking yard first before you cast aspersions our way.

But I imagine it's a lot like how the supposed lovers of freedom and liberty keep endlessly repeating how people like us would get out heads cut off if the Islamists had their way, always in a fashion that sounds less like a warning out of concern and more like a wish they desperately want granted.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6850|Cologne, Germany

from what I can tell, political parties will be the downfall of democracy one day. Often enough, party interests override decisions that would be best for the situation at hand. Because come election time, politicians only care about getting re-elected. Moreover, as has already been pointed out, party views tend to "simplify" the process, by suggesting there is only the "liberal" approach or the "conservative" approach to any given situation.

This situation, although plainly obvious in any modern democracy, is particularly unfortunate in the US, due to the two-party-system.
It makes it easier for both parties to paint everything black and white, and ignore the fact reality is mostly grey...

The situation is mostly the same here in germany, and party politics often override the interests of the electorate, but also different, as we have more than two political parties, and a total of 5 are currently represented in the parliament. This tends to help make the process of decision-making more diverse.

The question is, what are political parties willing to do to get re-elected ? Are the democrats willing to jeopardize any sort of progress in iraq, to make the republican president look bad and better their chances at the presidency ? Are the republicans willing to get "ugly" to ensure they stay on top ? rethorical questions, of course....

Political parties used to be about representation. Now they are all about power, how to get it, and how to keep it.

/rant
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6383|Kyiv, Ukraine

B.Schuss wrote:

The question is, what are political parties willing to do to get re-elected ? Are the democrats willing to jeopardize any sort of progress in iraq, to make the republican president look bad and better their chances at the presidency ? Are the republicans willing to get "ugly" to ensure they stay on top ? rethorical questions, of course....

Political parties used to be about representation. Now they are all about power, how to get it, and how to keep it.
The democrats in our congress *mostly* are looking only towards the '08 elections and are rubberstamping every stupid thing Bush can come up with, business as usual.  They think that if they keep giving Rove/Cheney enough rope, they'll hang themselves, and it will make for a Democratic landslide victory.  Unfortunately, its not working that way, the people voting them into office looking for a piece of justice or a quick end to an expensive occupation see them as pussies, giving "Congress in general" an even lower approval rating than Bush himself.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

Skruples wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Spark wrote:

Heil neocon?
^^^^^^^

So if I said liberal there, you people would shit your pants and their would be like four fucking angry responses within like two minutes of each other.  But this is acceptable?

Roger that.

Liberals Fail.

Liberalism is a disease.
The difference? I know Spark isn't seriously comparing anyone to Hitler. He quoted Cameron's exaggerated comparison to what the OP said and then further exxageratingly compared that quote to something naziesque. I have seen many of Spark's posts and it is my opinion that he is one of the more intelligent people in this section. I cannot say the same for you.

I get the feeling Lowing was serious, and that he does, in fact, harbor a belief that 'liberals' want terrorists to attack again, or for soldiers to die or for the president to look bad solely so that they can make themselves look better. I get the feeling that you were not being facetious when you say that "liberalism is a disease" and that you believe that people you define as liberals hold opinions that are not worth considering, which is ironic considering that in your former (and Lowing's current) profession you were, in part, tasked with upholding everyones right to believe whatever they feel like. I can assure you that I have never met a left-leaning person that has ever intimated that they would like anything bad happen to either the United States as a whole or to any one or more of its citizens. Neither have I met any right-leaning people with similar wishes.

I was, in fact, about to begin writing a rebuttal to Gorillatactic's post in agreement with my own, pointing out that he was, in fact, doing something akin to what Lowing had done, only in reverse, but I then realized it was 5 A.M and my time would be better spent sleeping. Sparks post wasn't worth rebutting since it wasn't serious, though you can be assured if Spark had said something along the lines of "It is my belief that the conservatives secretly harbor a desire for another terrorist attack on the Unites States so their agenda will be bolstered by public support," I would not have sat idly by.

I have the sinking feeling that the message of this post will be entirely lost on its intended audience, however. The conservative/liberal divide is entirely unbeneficial to the country as a whole, and I have little respect for anyone who forms generalized opinions about large groups of people based solely on a single word that they are associated with.
Not sure what your point is, or what it has to do with me.  If I had just typed the world liberal, some of you have a stroke and start typing walls of text.  But the use of neocon is just fine and nobody jumps on it......wonder why.  If you cannot see that then you need to spend more time in this section.
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6383|Kyiv, Ukraine

usmarine2005 wrote:

Skruples wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

^^^^^^^

Roger that.

Liberals Fail.

Liberalism is a disease.

Not sure what your point is, or what it has to do with me.  If I had just typed the world liberal, some of you have a stroke and start typing walls of text.  But the use of neocon is just fine and nobody jumps on it......wonder why.  If you cannot see that then you need to spend more time in this section.
Because neocon is a very specific set of values, based on the musings of William Kristol et al.  The neoconservative officers are currently a majority in the top positions of our government.  They have a very well-defined agenda and are not adverse to admitting it.  It can be summed up as "Might makes right, and America is the mightiest".  Neo-con values, fusing corporatism, militarism, media control, and nationalism also run very paralell to the same agenda espoused by European fascist movements in the 1920-'40s Spain, Argentina, Germany, Italy, and yes, even the US at the time (though they did most honestly call it "fascism").

Most believers in the neo-conservative movement are either ideological leaders OR authoritarian followers.

Read "It Can't Happen Here" written in 1937 for a glimpse into that time period in American history.

We can also specifically target "Bushies", which combine neo-conservative ideas with a belief in the "unitary executive".

We can target "fundies", which are religiously oriented right-wingers.

Right-wingers are an amalgamation of the right, a coalition that has been in the works since the 1970's that has fused Libertarian businessmen, fundamentalist Christians, and militant nationalists into a tight coalition and voting block.

Authoritarian followers, of which many can be found here, are almost entirely "conservative" in nature, having a victim complex (the liberal media is out to smear XXX!, the liberals want to take away our right to XXX!), generally can't get past their own thought divides ("Can't abort babies, must kill all muslims!", "Gays are bad, blow me for a quarter?"), and tend to take an unreasonably paranoid look at things without actual cause ("The Latino muslims are coming!"), meanwhile ignoring factual causes.  Everything can be defined as good (our side) or evil (everyone else) in an arguement.  Faith/belief > evidence/procdure.  Truth > Fact.

"Liberal" is a very very broad term, and used in a derogatory manner by the various groups on the right to basically mean "anyone that isn't them".  Now, if you would be so kind as to specifically target which liberals you refer to, it wouldn't be seen as entirely retarded.  Personally, I'd like to be a civil libertarian or anarcho-syndicalist if you don't mind.  The propoganda wing of the right continuously tries to channel liberals into narrow views and set up strawmen.  "The liberals think this..." and "The liberals are like this..." and "The liberals support this..."  when in fact there is no "quintissential liberal", it does not exist.  Whereas you can enter an evangelical church and find fundies that will agree with each other on everything, you won't find the same at say, a DailyKos rally.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

^^ That is why I say neoliberal.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6641|949

usmarine2005 wrote:

Neoliberalism is more describing an economic viewpoint than a political one.  Free trade, privatization, etc.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Neoliberalism is more describing an economic viewpoint than a political one.  Free trade, privatization, etc.
You people and you fucking labels.  What is more surprising is that there are definitions for these labels.  But, I see how it is.  Liberal doesn't fit but neocon fits very well in most situations.  Ya....roger that.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6641|949

usmarine2005 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

You people and you fucking labels.  What is more surprising is that there are definitions for these labels.  But, I see how it is.  Liberal doesn't fit but neocon fits very well in most situations.  Ya....roger that.
Well, when you (USMarine) just throw out labels like liberal in response to certian posts, what do you expect?  Maybe you should read about the definitions of the labels you throw out, then maybe you will use them in the appropriate situations.

I think it is amusing when someone posts something and you pull out the liberal label, because most of the time it makes you look like an idiot (in my eyes).

PS - Who are "you people"?

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2007-08-09 11:18:47)

GorillaTicTacs
+231|6383|Kyiv, Ukraine

usmarine2005 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Know thine enemy man.  If your knowledge of your enemy is based entirely on outright false assumptions and jingoism, you will get pimp-slapped in a a real intellectual debate.

Personally, I love to debate real conservatives that actually know their shit, they make for some of the best drinking buddies.  The ones that can just regurgitate talking points get boring pretty quick.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6653
I dont think marine is a conservative
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Well, when you (USMarine) just throw out labels like liberal in response to certian posts, what do you expect?  Maybe you should read about the definitions of the labels you throw out, then maybe you will use them in the appropriate situations.

I think it is amusing when someone posts something and you pull out the liberal label, because most of the time it makes you look like an idiot (in my eyes).

I do it for pure entertainment and to point out the obvious hypocritical attitude towards it.  You can say neocon, but not liberal.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

I dont think marine is a conservative
correct as usual.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6641|949

usmarine2005 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Well, when you (USMarine) just throw out labels like liberal in response to certain posts, what do you expect?  Maybe you should read about the definitions of the labels you throw out, then maybe you will use them in the appropriate situations.

I do it for pure entertainment and to point out the obvious hypocritical attitude towards it.  You can say neocon, but not liberal.
I know you do.  To be honest, it makes me laugh too.  Neoconservatism is a definable agenda.  Liberal, not so much. 

Example -

The Bush Administration prioritizing defense industry and interventionism = neocon agenda

Media providing often negative coverage of the War in Iraq/Bush Administration = not liberal

Media providing (and promoting/safekeeping) a medium for the "Neocon" agenda = not liberal

Discussing human rights violations and social justice issues = liberal and conservative

In my opinion, both "conservative" and "liberal" have been hijacked by the American Mainstream Media and Public/Politicians.  That's one reason I refuse to label myself as either.  Mostly though, its because I am open minded enough to understand that my views will undoubtedly change from subject to subject.

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2007-08-09 13:19:57)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina
Whoever this "gut" guy is, he should write for Fox News.  It's right up his alley.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6710

usmarine2005 wrote:

Of course I see them. Gorillatactics has posted several times in this thread with blatant examples of what I was talking about. In the post just after mine he intimated that large segments of conservatives want terrorists to attack to make them look justified, and, while I'm sure there are a few people on both sides of the proverbial isle who want such an occurance, I hardly think its a dominant desire among either political leaning.

If you missed the point in my previous post, I'll reiterate it. The liberal/conservative labels are pointless and self-defeating. The 'conservative' side encompasses a large array of views, ranging from the religious right (no abortion, no gay marriage, no sex outside of marriage, prayer and creationism in school, no contraception, etc...) to the just plain right leaning political beliefs. To refer to someone as conservative for the simple reason that one of their beliefs lines up with the perceived conservative belief system is to automatically assume that they will agree with every other thing that system espouses. You could make the argument that 'conservative' values are somewhat more cohesive than their liberal counterparts, if for no other reason than the right side of the political spectrum has more clearly defined leaders at the moment, but that is still a far cry from saying 'everyone I perceive to be a conservative believes in X Y and Z.'

The same is true for 'liberals'. You wrote earlier that liberals fail and that liberalism is a disease. Could you explain that clearly if you had to? Are you referring to a set of beliefs that is set in stone and in which vast groups of Americans subscribe to? Or are you simply lashing out at the perceived unfairness of one person saying 'heil neocon' while people get upset when the word liberal is used in a pejorative fashion? Obviously people get upset at variations of conservative being used in a similar fashion, or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

So I ask you; what makes a person a liberal? Where does the disease start and the healthy belief stop? Does believing the war in Iraq was a mistake make you a liberal? What about global warming? Or abortion? Or Intelligent Design? Or campaign finance reform? Or any one of dozens if not hundreds of other important issues that float around the political sphere? Does belief in one of the perceived liberal values make you a liberal? Does the belief that life begins at conception make you a conservative? Is it possible, just maybe, that you can share one belief with the 'liberal' or 'conservative' core-beliefs, but disagree on many others? I'm not talking about politicians here, but about regular people.

The only point I'm trying to make is that assigning someone to either the liberal or conservative camp is entirely pointless and serves no purpose in discussion. You can say that one side is evil or malignant or 'diseased' all you like, but in the end you're insulting an idea that is fluid and it is far more constructive to say that your opponent is simply mistaken on his or her viewpoint, and then explain why that is the case. That's become increasingly rare, because its far easier to lump your opponent in with a belief system and then argue against it instead.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

^^ Liberal - Anything the US does is bad.  Anything anyone else does we can blame on the US.
Reciprocity
+721|6590|the dank(super) side of Oregon

usmarine2005 wrote:

^^ Liberal - Anything the US does is bad.  Anything anyone else does we can blame on the US.
if being and logical, rational human being, capable of recognizing and acknowledging short-sighted decisions, mistakes, and general fuck-ups, makes me a liberal, then guilty as charged.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

Reciprocity wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

if being and logical, rational human being, capable of recognizing and acknowledging short-sighted decisions, mistakes, and general fuck-ups, makes me a liberal, then guilty as charged.
Ahh yes......well only if a Repub is in office.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard