blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6662
If you're looking for a better job, you'd better fake it -- your resume, that is.

That's the word from southern California-based resume expert Derek Johnson, who runs fakeresume.com.

He says human resources types are looking for the slightest excuse to throw your resume in the trash, but a little embellishing can convince them to give it a second look.

As he puts it, "Human resources staffers don't hire people, they hire problem solvers," so he recommends peppering your resume with bogus statistics like "instituted a policy that reduced spending by 28 percent."

The stats may not be true, but Johnson says they're "hard to prove, especially if you worked for a private company." Plus, he adds, they're more eye-catching than generic terms like "goal oriented" or "self starter."

But resume lying can only go so far. Johnson says it's okay to claim experience in various types of computer software to get the job but "you better run out and buy a "For Dummies" book if you want to keep it."

http://www.dailycognition.com/index.php … thing.html
kingofkolt
+17|6240|Boston, MA, USA
Hm.
Kylau
+9|6722|Washington
Or you could actually have knowledge in said programs. There are so many stupid people in the workplace its not hard to beat them out.
pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6599|MANCHESTERRR
Walking into your dream job and then realising you dont have a fucking clue what to do would be fantastic.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+685|6307|Washington St.
your integrity comes into question as well.
jsnipy
+3,276|6539|...

I call people on the skills they list on their resumes (my favorite is when they have xml). Last month we had a round of interviews and I actually got a confession that someone put something on their resume "because it looked good". I get the impression that some people think they have the skills to do something if they sat near someone long enough who did it.

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-08-08 20:02:11)

blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6662

jsnipy wrote:

I call people on the skills they list on their resumes (my favorite is when they have xml). Last month we had a round of interviews and I actually got a confession that someone put something on their resume "because it looked good". I get the impression that some people think they have the skills to do something if they sat near someone long enough who did it.
I know I totally agree with that "I get the impression that some people think they have the skills to do something if they sat near someone long enough who did it."

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard