Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)
Another option for old computer parts is charity - here in Cambridgeshire (in the UK), there's a charity called Red2Green and one of there projects, called Reboot takes unwanted PCs, refurbishes, and then resells them at ridiculously low prices - 'WinXP PCs' from £99 or 'Vista PCs' from £149 (inc. 3month warranty, 17" CRT, keyboard, mouse, speakers and printer).

I'm even thinking of going there first, when I consider my next upgrade, myself.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6202|Winland

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Another option for old computer parts is charity - here in Cambridgeshire (in the UK), there's a charity called Red2Green and one of there projects, called Reboot takes unwanted PCs, refurbishes, and then resells them at ridiculously low prices - 'WinXP PCs' from £99 or 'Vista PCs' from £149 (inc. 3month warranty, 17" CRT, keyboard, mouse, speakers and printer).

I'm even thinking of going there first, when I consider my next upgrade, myself.
I wish there was something like that here... Oh wait, there is! It's me!

But nothing official
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6137|Carnoustie, Scotland

ghettoperson wrote:

Some pretty cool ideas there. Even if those photos take 56 years to load.
Upload as a smaller picture format

If you've got photoshop, open them with that and click file -> save for web. Makes the file tiny whilst keeping the quality rather great.
If not, paint.exe does a great job making them smaller than what you have just now.

Great guide, even though some of it was slightly too high tech for me ^^

This leetkyle, I think you should let him on the TT, as he baffled me

+1

Yet another Sticky request!

Last edited by Funky_Finny (2007-08-06 14:23:39)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6202|Winland

Funky_Finny wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Some pretty cool ideas there. Even if those photos take 56 years to load.
Upload as a smaller picture format

If you've got photoshop, open them with that and click file -> save for web. Makes the file tiny whilst keeping the quality rather great.
If not, paint.exe does a great job making them smaller than what you have just now.

Great guide, even though some of it was slightly too high tech for me ^^

This leetkyle, I think you should let him on the TT, as he baffled me

+1

Yet another Sticky request!
Yay! TT request! And I wrote in the guide that I on the future pics will compress them with paint. Me <3 Paint.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Anfidurl
Use the bumper, that's what its for!
+103|6598|Lexington, Kentucky
I've gutted more PSUs than I can think of, and one thing I always grabbed in addition to the fans and such were the heatsinks.
If you have a dremel tool or a good metal saw, cutting (the smaller ones) into pieces of about 3/4 of an inch wide make good RAM sinks.
The larger ones, with the L shape, work well as HDD coolers. I'm doing this with a pair, if I can ever get a drill and figure out the spacing of the holes.
GunnerTim
+1|6131|Wisconsin
Great guide!  I've been gutting out computers for about 4 years now.  A great source for older computer parts is university's computer surplus.  The one where I worked for 4 years would upgrade almost everything on campus in a 3 or 4 year cycle so they would end up junking and selling hundreds of computers.  I would scavenge anything from P4 3.0GHz processors to PSUs, cases, RAM, HDs, cables, batteries, screws.  It comes in real handy to just start collecting stuff and after a while I was able to build a Frankenstein media center pc. 

At times there were so many computers being disposed I could give them $5 and come home with 5 PCs.  It's also a great source for older monitors.  When the campus upgraded to LCDs for everything they started getting rid of fairly new 17" & 19" CRTs.  I ran a triple monitor set up for a while with a really decent picture quality. 

Sometimes I could get laptops and the LCDs are really great for reusing in various situation.  The laptop hard drives can be converted into extremely portable external HDs that only need USB to power them and only costs about $10-20 for an enclosure.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6202|Winland

GunnerTim wrote:

Great guide!  I've been gutting out computers for about 4 years now.  A great source for older computer parts is university's computer surplus.  The one where I worked for 4 years would upgrade almost everything on campus in a 3 or 4 year cycle so they would end up junking and selling hundreds of computers.  I would scavenge anything from P4 3.0GHz processors to PSUs, cases, RAM, HDs, cables, batteries, screws.  It comes in real handy to just start collecting stuff and after a while I was able to build a Frankenstein media center pc. 

At times there were so many computers being disposed I could give them $5 and come home with 5 PCs.  It's also a great source for older monitors.  When the campus upgraded to LCDs for everything they started getting rid of fairly new 17" & 19" CRTs.  I ran a triple monitor set up for a while with a really decent picture quality. 

Sometimes I could get laptops and the LCDs are really great for reusing in various situation.  The laptop hard drives can be converted into extremely portable external HDs that only need USB to power them and only costs about $10-20 for an enclosure.
Do you know where can I get an USB to mini-IDE connector? That's a really nice idea!
GunnerTim
+1|6131|Wisconsin
Almost identical to the one I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817619001

Edit: If you don't want to use the enclosure part you can still take it apart and use the usb to mini IDE connector.

Last edited by GunnerTim (2007-08-07 13:09:46)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6202|Winland

GunnerTim wrote:

Almost identical to the one I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817619001

Edit: If you don't want to use the enclosure part you can still take it apart and use the usb to mini IDE connector.
Nice! Thanks
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6202|Winland

Revive. My guide shall not die.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6179|Sydney | ♥

Lieutenant_Jensen wrote:

Nice guide matey, +1 for you..

Sticky request !
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard