Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6743|Singapore
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u … 195538.ece

Walking does more than driving to cause global warming, a leading environmentalist has calculated.

Food production is now so energy-intensive that more carbon is emitted providing a person with enough calories to walk to the shops than a car would emit over the same distance. The climate could benefit if people avoided exercise, ate less and became couch potatoes. Provided, of course, they remembered to switch off the TV rather than leaving it on standby.

The sums were done by Chris Goodall, campaigning author of How to Live a Low-Carbon Life, based on the greenhouse gases created by intensive beef production. “Driving a typical UK car for 3 miles [4.8km] adds about 0.9 kg [2lb] of CO2 to the atmosphere,” he said, a calculation based on the Government’s official fuel emission figures. “If you walked instead, it would use about 180 calories. You’d need about 100g of beef to replace those calories, resulting in 3.6kg of emissions, or four times as much as driving.

“The troubling fact is that taking a lot of exercise and then eating a bit more food is not good for the global atmosphere. Eating less and driving to save energy would be better.”

Mr Goodall, Green Party parliamentary candidate for Oxford West & Abingdon, is the latest serious thinker to turn popular myths about the environment on their head.

Catching a diesel train is now twice as polluting as travelling by car for an average family, the Rail Safety and Standards Board admitted recently. Paper bags are worse for the environment than plastic because of the extra energy needed to manufacture and transport them, the Government says.

Fresh research published in New Scientistlast month suggested that 1kg of meat cost the Earth 36kg in global warming gases. The figure was based on Japanese methods of industrial beef production but Mr Goodall says that farming techniques are similar throughout the West.

What if, instead of beef, the walker drank a glass of milk? The average person would need to drink 420ml – three quarters of a pint – to recover the calories used in the walk. Modern dairy farming emits the equivalent of 1.2kg of CO2 to produce the milk, still more pollution than the car journey.

Cattle farming is notorious for its perceived damage to the environment, based on what scientists politely call “methane production” from cows. The gas, released during the digestive process, is 21 times more harmful than CO2 . Organic beef is the most damaging because organic cattle emit more methane.

Michael O’Leary, boss of the budget airline Ryanair, has been widely derided after he was reported to have said that global warming could be solved by massacring the world’s cattle. “The way he is running around telling people they should shoot cows,” Lawrence Hunt, head of Silverjet, another budget airline, told the Commons Environmental Audit Committee. “I do not think you can really have debates with somebody with that mentality.”

But according to Mr Goodall, Mr O’Leary may have a point. “Food is more important [to Britain’s greenhouse emissions] than aircraft but there is no publicity,” he said. “Associated British Foods isn’t being questioned by MPs about energy.

“We need to become accustomed to the idea that our food production systems are equally damaging. As the man from Ryanair says, cows generate more emissions than aircraft. Unfortunately, perhaps, he is right. Of course, this doesn’t mean we should always choose to use air or car travel instead of walking. It means we need urgently to work out how to reduce the greenhouse gas intensity of our foodstuffs.”

Simply cutting out beef, or even meat, however, would be too modest a change. The food industry is estimated to be responsible for a sixth of an individual’s carbon emissions, and Britain may be the worst culprit.

“This is not just about flying your beans from Kenya in the winter,” Mr Goodall said. “The whole system is stuffed with energy and nitrous oxide emissions. The UK is probably the worst country in the world for this.

“We have industrialised our food production. We use an enormous amount of processed food, like ready meals, compared to most countries. Three quarters of supermarkets’ energy is to refrigerate and freeze food prepared elsewhere.

A chilled ready meal is a perfect example of where the energy is wasted. You make the meal, then use an enormous amount of energy to chill it and keep it chilled through warehousing and storage.”

The ideal diet would consist of cereals and pulses. “This is a route which virtually nobody, apart from a vegan, is going to follow,” Mr Goodall said. But there are other ways to reduce the carbon footprint. “Don’t buy anything from the supermarket,” Mr Goodall said, “or anything that’s travelled too far.”
Somehow i think, this is BS.
jonsimon
+224|6505

Ayumiz wrote:

Agreed.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6631|London, England
Well. What about taking into account the amount of energy used getting the fuel for the car (drilling the oil, refining it, transporting it etc..). Lets treat things on an equal basis here.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6415|North Carolina
He's a leading environmentalist funded by Exxon, I would presume...
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6575|Area 51
Nowai that by walking I will breath out more CO2 than a car will.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6742|St. Andrews / Oslo

Oh fuck Al Gore for starting this madness
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6475|Melbourne - Home of Football
This is the same kind of convenient, shonky science that global warming sceptics use to promote the idea that warmer temperatures in the last hundred years is due to some kind of chronologically instant natural cause. As you can tell when you read the article, is basically consists of using a simple calculation in total isolation from reality in order to make some huge exponential hypothesis. Frankly, it shouldn't be reported on, its a waste of time, there are things we could be doing to change the way the planet is heading.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6351|Atlanta, Georgia
I dont know but i still like your sig...
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6767|Argentina
Dont' walk anymore guys, use the Hummer to go to the two blocks away 7-Eleven, and when you get there only buy trash food.
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6580|United States
I feel dumber for having read this article. Total BS... true to a degree, but when you weigh beef production against the carbon emissions created to produce the gas and the cars....
iamangry
+59|6655|The United States of America
The thing about beef, is that you emit solid carbon emissions from it
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6489|Somewhere else

The best way to combat both is:

Get a job that requires a little more exersize.  so you are being productive to the econmy, and getting exercize.

Carpool.

Eat less junk food, and eat less food in general. 

The real problem is fat people.  They consume more food than what they need, and since they are fat bastards they have special costly needs to keep them alive and decently mobile.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6776|UK
BS. Pure and simple BS.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726

Vilham wrote:

BS. Pure and simple BS.
Even he can figure it out!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6766|Scotland

sergeriver wrote:

Dont' walk anymore guys, use the Hummer to go to the two blocks away 7-Eleven, and when you get there only buy trash food.
Use the special ECO friendly hummers that Arnie has. ( terminator man )
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6776|UK

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

BS. Pure and simple BS.
Even he can figure it out!
Yes even me, the one who isnt a 16 year old kid...
SteikeTa
+153|6757|Norway/Norwegen/ Norge/Noruega
Everything that is written in that article is true....
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6675|NT, like Mick Dundee

SteikeTa wrote:

Everything that is written in that article is true....
Yes, but the fact that the oil industry also produces carbon emissions in the act of producing oil seems to be ignored.

The comparison of the total carbon emissions used by a car vs. walking is completely one-sided if the person making the comparison is only going to take into account the food industry's emission total and not take into account the fact that the total emissions made in...

Mining the ores used within the car.
Manufacturing the car.
Mining the oil.
Processing the oil.
Transport of all of the above.

Is going to produce a shitload more emissions than the food used to fuel a person's walking ever will.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6140|North Tonawanda, NY

RoosterCantrell wrote:

The real problem is fat people.  They consume more food than what they need, and since they are fat bastards they have special costly needs to keep them alive and decently mobile.
Uh-huh.  What "special needs" does a 250 pound fat guy need that the 180 pound guy doesn't?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6784|Noizyland

The ultimate idiotic Lemming syndrome; quitting eating because it harms the environment.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
suomalainen_äijä
+64|6175

jonsimon wrote:

Ayumiz wrote:

Agreed.
me too
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6503|N. Ireland
It makes sense. But I'll still leave my electronics on standby, thank you very much!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6415|North Carolina

SenorToenails wrote:

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Uh-huh.  What "special needs" does a 250 pound fat guy need that the 180 pound guy doesn't?
Fat people do tend to have more health problems.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6640|Washington, DC

I'm gonna drive to the McDonalds in a Hummer, and then ghost-ride my way through the drive-through.
imortal
+240|6674|Austin, TX

Ty wrote:

The ultimate idiotic Lemming syndrome; quitting eating because it harms the environment.
"Eat recycled food.  It is good for the enviroment, and ok for you."
                                                                                 -recycled food ad from the movie Judge Dredd

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard