True41%41% - 28
False58%58% - 39
Total: 67
CommieChipmunk
+488|6565|Portland, OR, USA

usmarine2005 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Spark wrote:

Not exactly great for one's engine though, so people are reluctant to contemplate it.
But only because the engines aren't designed for it.  If the engine is designed for it, it works just fine.
Last weekend I had a rental car that was flex fuel.  It took E-85 which I assume was ethanol.  Amazing gas mileage and no drop in performance.  Plus the gas was cheaper also.  Me like.
My 2001 ford Taurus can run on flex fuel

too bad they don't sell it around here...
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6717|Sydney, Australia

agent146 wrote:

Stormscythe wrote:

wtf is ethynol (chemically)?
a type of alcohol ?
Well, since you asked...

A hydrocarbon is an organic compound consisting entirely of hydrogen and carbon. If there are only single bonds between the carbons, then they are alkanes. If there is a double bond, then they are called alkenes. If there is a triple bond, then it is an alkyne.

So to recap:
1 bond: -ane
2 bonds: -ene
3 bonds: -yne

As for the number of carbons, the follow a simple naming procedure:
1: meth-
2: eth-
3: prop-
4: but-
5: pent-
6: hex-
7: hept-
8: oct-

So if we take ethane, we get 2 carbon atoms that are joined by a single bond. Each carbon atom can have 4 bonds, so there are 3 hydrogen atoms attached to each carbon (ie.total forur bonds per C). It looks something like this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7c/Ethane-2D.png/100px-Ethane-2D.png

In ethanol, the -ol refers to it's hydroxyl group (OH). Basically, one of the hydrogens is replaced by a hydroxyl group:

https://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:_VGq2r9uI2_IiM:https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/d/de/20051112115042!Ethanol-structure.png

Production of Ethanol
Now the production of ethanol isn't as simple as just swapping the H for an OH... We'll deal with production of ethanol from sugar first:

1. Complex sugar is broken down into glucose by yeast action. Yeast is then used to ferment the glucose to form ethanol and carbon dioxide.

C6H12O6 --> 2C2H5OH + 2CO2

2. At about 15% ethanol, the yeast die so the mixture of ethanol and water must be distilled to purify the ethanol.

3. When complete combustion takes place, the water and carbon dioxide that is released can be used again in the formation of glucose. The cycle is carbon neutral.

The other method of ethanol production is hydration of ethylene (ethene). Ethylene is heated with dillute sulfuric acid (ie. there's sulfurinc acid and water). The double bond of the ethylene molecule is broken, thus leaving 2 free bonds (one on each carbon atom). The water molecule then splits up into H and OH. These fill up the free bonds.

This method is impractical for production of ethanol outside experimental conditions.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6557

usmarine2005 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Spark wrote:

Not exactly great for one's engine though, so people are reluctant to contemplate it.
But only because the engines aren't designed for it.  If the engine is designed for it, it works just fine.
Last weekend I had a rental car that was flex fuel.  It took E-85 which I assume was ethanol.  Amazing gas mileage and no drop in performance.  Plus the gas was cheaper also.  Me like.
Wow.......something we agree on.  I think I just heard a dog meow.............

I was actually talking about harm to the engine, as I wasn't sure whether the end performance was as good.  You say it is?  Brilliant.  Now, we just need to convince people that electric cars aren't the answer.................
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6757

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Wow.......something we agree on.  I think I just heard a dog meow.............

I was actually talking about harm to the engine, as I wasn't sure whether the end performance was as good.  You say it is?  Brilliant.  Now, we just need to convince people that electric cars aren't the answer.................
My next car will definitely be flex fuel....or something like it.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6557
The problem might be finding petrol stations that have it.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6218|Escea

That's kinda of like that SAAB that runs on special fuel (forgotten its name) anyway its pretty pointless here cos no fuel stations sell the fuels it needs, (whatever it was again).
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6839|Waikato, Aotearoa

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Before you look it up,

True or False:

Ethynol releases the same amount of emissions as gasoline does.
What the World needs is an engine that runs on 100% ethanol....... is way WAY cheaper than oil, is cleaner than oil, and is REUSABLE (a by-product of cane sugar production). But it would never happen. The oil companies would put pressure on our govts not to have them, and our govts wouldnt get revenue (in the form of tax and duty).....

But if it DID happen - what a way to put Mobil out of business eh

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard