usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6787

Turquoise wrote:

....and now you see just a small part of why I would never willingly die for this country.  Our government is ok with bailing out S&Ls, but they have the nerve to charge people that lay down their lives for them.

...so much for gratitude, eh?
So I could just toss around my M-16 because I volunteered for the Marines?

Last edited by usmarine2005 (2007-08-02 16:44:26)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6787

Turquoise wrote:

....and now you see just a small part of why I would never willingly die for this country.

Milk.org wrote:

Yeah British Army is the same my mate got back from Iraq about 4 months ago and had to pay I think £30 or so for a new bayonet. Fuck knows how much they'd charge you for a new pair of NVG's or something.
Maybe you can go join the PLA Turq.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6430|North Carolina
*shrugs* You're enlisted, so I can't really argue with you on this.  You're someone who has to deal with this policy, so in the end, a lot of the situation depends on you and other servicemen.  In other words, if the majority of you are ok with it, then I guess it's not an issue.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't be too fond of the policy myself if I had to deal with it -- especially if they didn't explain what they're charging me for.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6787

Turquoise wrote:

especially if they didn't explain what they're charging me for.
agree
Turquoise
O Canada

usmarine2005 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

....and now you see just a small part of why I would never willingly die for this country.

Milk.org wrote:

Yeah British Army is the same my mate got back from Iraq about 4 months ago and had to pay I think £30 or so for a new bayonet. Fuck knows how much they'd charge you for a new pair of NVG's or something.
Maybe you can go join the PLA Turq.
That's ok...  You already know my feelings on China.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6787

I can see that a lot of you seem to have a problem with this, so I will give an example of why. 

There are only two things that Marines consider punishment, money and free time.  This policy makes you try your hardest to keep track of your gear. 

Why is that so important?

If you develop an attitude of no real consequences for lost or damaged gear, then people will become complacent.  Imagine being in the desert and someone left your last water can behind?

Keep your shit and maintain your shit, it can save your life and others around you.

Last edited by usmarine2005 (2007-08-02 17:03:30)

Turquoise
O Canada
Well, that definitely puts it more into perspective.  It just pisses me off that they are stringent about this kind of stuff, while contractors get away with murder.  We hold our soldiers very liable, but we turn a blind eye to the private sector.
GATOR591957
+84|6652

usmarine2005 wrote:

I can see that a lot of you seem to have a problem with this, so I will give an example of why. 

There are only two things that Marines consider punishment, money and free time.  This policy makes you try your hardest to keep track of your gear. 

Why is that so important?

If you develop an attitude of no real consequences for lost or damaged gear, then people will become complacent.  Imagine being in the desert and someone left your last water can behind?

Keep your shit and maintain your shit, it can save your life and others around you.
I thought discipline was embedded at boot camp. You did have inspections... right.   You really think being forced to pay for equipment is going to make a soldier who's life depends on his equipment more diligent. 

Sorry, I see so much waste in this war, this just doesn't sit well with me.  We've asked enough for you to die for another country's independence, now we're making you pay for what you don't maintain.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6787

GATOR591957 wrote:

I thought discipline was embedded at boot camp. You did have inspections... right.   You really think being forced to pay for equipment is going to make a soldier who's life depends on his equipment more diligent. 

Sorry, I see so much waste in this war, this just doesn't sit well with me.  We've asked enough for you to die for another country's independence, now we're making you pay for what you don't maintain.
Boot camp is one thing gator.  Money and free time are what Marines respond to best........kind of like dare I say normal people.
topal63
. . .
+533|6743

usmarine2005 wrote:

You guys are missing the main reason behind the reason for fines.  It forced you to maintain and respect your gear because you never know when you are going to need it when it counts.
I am an owner of a Civil Engineering - Land Surveying Company.

During the practice of land surveying they (field crews) use expensive equipment (& extremely expensive equipment). Long term employees have demonstrated their respect for both the company and company property. New employees often have failed to display the same respect. Some carelessly damage or even loose equipment based entirely upon personal negligence. Until I instituted a company policy placing the expense burden upon the employee - the carelessness did not stop. Now it is under control, and they are not forced to pay for equipment damages - because they care and don't damage or loose equipment anymore (or rather it happens very very rarely now).

Last edited by topal63 (2007-08-03 10:31:35)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6787

topal63 wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

You guys are missing the main reason behind the reason for fines.  It forced you to maintain and respect your gear because you never know when you are going to need it when it counts.

During the practice of land surveying they (field crews) use expensive equipment (& extremely expensive equipment). Long term employees have demonstrated their respect for both the company and company property. New employees often have failed to display the same respect. Some carelessly damage or even loose equipment based entirely upon personal negligence. Until I instituted a company policy placing the expense burden upon the employee - the carelessness did not stop. Now it is under control, and they are not forced to pay for equipment damages - because they care and don't damage or loose equipment anymore (or rather it happens very very rarely now).
Yes but for Marines it is not a long term investment.  For most it is just four years, three of which are spent in your unit.
topal63
. . .
+533|6743

usmarine2005 wrote:

topal63 wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Yes but for Marines it is not a long term investment.  For most it is just four years, three of which are spent in your unit.
I was agreeing with you - my company policy was/is not an investment (nor does every employee seek long term employment). It is an example - of placing the burden of cost upon the individual to make them more responsible for their equipment.
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6278|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27
I lost x2 Mags (L85 A2) plus a cleaning kit, (stolen). Uk Armed Forces Op Telic 3. Was wrote off as 'battle loss'. Making a soldier pay for his/her equipment is bang wrong, its fucking laughable. Almost despicable. Do they bill relatives of the dead for war damage? It seriously makes me wonder now.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6787

topal63 wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

topal63 wrote:

I was agreeing with you - my company policy was/is not an investment (nor does every employee seek long term employment). It is an example - of placing the burden of cost upon the individual to make them more responsible for their equipment.
Ya....I read it wrong.  My bad.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard