Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6848
T1mberWOlfs Idea of 3 different symbols is GREAT.

Round   =  AT mine

Square  =  C4

Triangle = claymore

someone should get that Idea to EA ASAP. I am sure they would add it to patch.

Also putting " completely and utterly worthless stat " is the mark of a punk getting bold with the safety of  being anonymous
Ronball9
Sleep Deprived
+8|6859
Yeah, I like the symbol idea.  Simple but effective. 

I think the greatest problem with people walking into friendly claymores is that while they can tell they are not AT mines,  they assume them to be friendly C4 so why worry?
MurrayP
PKM Assasin
+0|6820|USA, IL
Aggreed, all of anybody with contact to EA should suggest that.
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6858|Australia
meh u dont even need 3, mines and claymores could be the same c4 u just need to know what that is so u know its safe to drive over... if ur on foot its pretty easy to see what each one is that is if u notice the skull n bones and dont have ur head up ur asss...
T1mbrW0lf
+2|6807|Eastern PA
The reason I suggested a Triangle icon for claymores is - if it could be implemented - that the triangle could point UP to indicate that you're approaching from the rear ("safe" side) of the device, or DOWN to indicate that you're about to kill yourself . . .

I also feel that Engy's should be able to dis-arm all NME and Friendly explosives; and that Spec-Ops and Snipers should be able to dis-arm (only) their respective device types - both NME and Friendly.

I don't think that would alter the play balance to any great extent - but it would introduce new (and realistic) tactical strategies and concerns: Spec-Ops would no longer be able to just crap C4 all over a CP and then wander off with the confidance that they'll just detonate for some kills if the CP goes "neutral"; and Snipers couldn't get too smug about a "perfect" ambush or defensive position.

If Snipers also had an option to set their claymores in either a Proximity or Trigger mode, then all 3 classes would have to make "risk evaluations" about dis-arming a charge for tactical advantage or even to "re-supply" themselves - you never know if the other guy is watching and waiting . . .

As an Engy, I'm always looking for NME mines and claymores to defuse (and re-use); and I generally pick up the mines I've planted if the tactical situation has changed for a defensive position - mainly so I can minimize the TK's from moronic / clueless team mates. A couple of Engy's feverishly trying to defuse charges before they can be blown is realistic and historically accurate, and just one of the "mini-dramas" that would unfold in the course of a battle.

Ronball9 wrote:

I think the greatest problem with people walking into friendly claymores is that while they can tell they are not AT mines,  they assume them to be friendly C4 so why worry?
I'm inclined to agree - that's the only "logical" reason I can think of why some Squad members have waited patiently behind me while I placed a claymore to defend at the top of a stairwell, and then waiked right over it after I pulled back (even as I'm telling them over VoIP to STOP).

BTW - Horseman 77: Thanks for the acknowledgement.

Last edited by T1mbrW0lf (2005-09-22 03:50:36)

SilentBob
Silent but deadly...
+1|6827|Nellis AFB (Las Vegas, NV)
Should just keep em as red squares like they are....just put a tank graphic for mines,  bullseye graphic for claymores (they are proximity triggered), and a mushroom cloud graphic for C4.

Claymores should have an audible warning. Such as "HEY DUMBASS GET BACK OR DIE!!" or "Do ya feal lucky punk...well, do ya?"

Last edited by SilentBob (2005-09-22 13:51:54)

77th|1st Lt. Werstein
+1|6822|Virginia, USA
the easy thing to do is to just slow down, take your time, and look at the things with the skull on it to find out what it is

because, it is easy to spot out stuff on foot yes...it is also easy to spot out stuff in a vehicle if you just slow down a bit and take a good look
T1mbrW0lf
+2|6807|Eastern PA

77th|1st Lt. Werstein wrote:

the easy thing to do is to just slow down, take your time, and look at the things with the skull on it to find out what it is

because, it is easy to spot out stuff on foot yes...it is also easy to spot out stuff in a vehicle if you just slow down a bit and take a good look
"Slow down" is fine when you're crossing a street - it's seldom an option when attempting to out-maneuver an opponant, or when you're taking direct fire . . .

As an Engy or Spec-Ops, I routinely plant my devices in shadowed areas, on dark areas of road or terrain, and in water crossings - and that's precisely because you'll seldom ID these items visually, even as a Friendly "on foot", until it's too late . . .

I also "booby-trap" NME vehicles by throwing a mine in (or on) the vehicle - it will then detonate when the unit is entered, usually causing a few additional kills from the blast.
-=Marli.Man=-
+0|6836|Germany
To my mind EA should patch it so that noone can punish u cause some morons just ran/drive into ur claymore alternatively ur mines! Its really horrible to see that u just killed 4 ppl in a vehicle cause someone was just too blind to see the icon. And at least 2 of them will punish u for that. After that ur points are nuts.

But the idea of the different icons is a good one. They should think about it at EA.

Greetz
MurrayP
PKM Assasin
+0|6820|USA, IL
I Vote this to FEATURED POSTS   !!!
McPwned
Canadian Ops
+0|6854|Canada
Personally, I don't think there should be different indicators for infantry.  Tanks, and APCs should have different indicators, maybe.  What I would really like are different targeting indicators for aircraft, 'cause I avoid AA differently than I do jets...
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6848
How did I miss this ? Timberwolf is Realllly really smart

The reason I suggested a Triangle icon for claymores is - if it could be implemented - that the triangle could point UP to indicate that you're approaching from the rear ("safe" side) of the device, or DOWN to indicate that you're about to kill yourself . . .
pure_beef_69
Banned
+186|6657
long time ago
jkohlc
2142th Whore
+214|6537|Singapore

pure_beef_69 wrote:

long time ago
uh wtf?

btw i think they shood do this

C4 - A oversized "C4" word

Clays - a oversized "CLAYMORE"

AT - same
bf2_zspyvin
+17|6695|The Netherlands
Why not small little claymores?/mines?/and deathhead for c4?
Arkhon
FullMetalHead
+20|6511|Canberra, Australia
I think the shapes are a great way to tell the difference between them. Anything other than simple shapes is a waste of time and would ruin the experience I feel. If people took a little time to look around them instead of thinking about how they are going to get their next point then we wouldn't have to worry about this anyway.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard