• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • It'd be nice for some answers, but it's nothing urgent :P
princesssamuel
+0|6145
Ok, here's the thing; Today, after months of upgrades to my computer (new graphics card, more RAM etc) I finally today was able to play BF2. I noticed online there were hardly any games I could play, due to not having used my patch yet. I logged off and used it only to find that when I tried to pay afterwards the game wouldn't start because there was a problem with the Shaders. Before I used the patch I was allowed to play the game, but afterwards I couldn't. This lead me to believe the patch did something to the game. I tried installing drivers for my new graphics card, but that didn't help (obviously) and I tried everything save for uninstalling it which at the moment isn't a route I can take. I looked in the shaders file, and they were not there, which is pretty bad.

Basicly I just want to know if there is anything I can do without reinstalling the game and maybe if anyone might know what happened to the game to make the shaders screw up?

Any help will be much appreciated.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6666

Download Driver Cleaner, and remove the drivers from your previous card. Download the new one for this card, install and all *should* be well. What exactly does the error say?

EDIT: What graphics card do you have now, and what did you have before?

Last edited by ghettoperson (2007-07-31 15:05:17)

kingofkolt
+17|6240|Boston, MA, USA
Did you install the 1.41 patch or an earlier one? This isn't a graphics card driver issue, I'm pretty sure. This problem has happened a lot, in Special Forces at least (is that the game you're trying to get into?). You may have to copy all the files from shaders_client.zip to the shaders folder (which is located in the same folder as shaders_client.zip) and then run the 1.41 patch again.
princesssamuel
+0|6145

ghettoperson wrote:

Download Driver Cleaner, and remove the drivers from your previous card. Download the new one for this card, install and all *should* be well. What exactly does the error say?

EDIT: What graphics card do you have now, and what did you have before?
I now have the Radeon x1300 and used to have some crappy integrated SIS 760. I tried installing the drivers, but just before it it finishes my whole computer freezes. I've tried several times all with the same outcome...
princesssamuel
+0|6145

kingofkolt wrote:

Did you install the 1.41 patch or an earlier one? This isn't a graphics card driver issue, I'm pretty sure. This problem has happened a lot, in Special Forces at least (is that the game you're trying to get into?). You may have to copy all the files from shaders_client.zip to the shaders folder (which is located in the same folder as shaders_client.zip) and then run the 1.41 patch again.
I installed the 1.12 patch especially for BF2 and BF2: SF. I didn't think it was a graphics card issue, but when I put it in it took a lot of time and effort to install it onto my computer;thought it might be giving me more hassle again or something. If I download  a newer version of the patch, would it by any chance help, or should I copy the shaders zip files?
gvers
Bad at BF:BC2
+109|6689|The Real World

If 1.12 does not work I would install BF2 then 1.41 then SF and 1.41 again.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6214|Winland

It's a known bug. SOmetimes BF2 patches (Or the actual 1.0/1.1 install) removes or desn't copy the shaders. Copying the BF2 shader files to SF, however, won't let you play night maps. The best, I'd say, would be to re-install the game, and SF, and directly apply the 1.41 patch. Remember to allways install SF before patching,  ecause SF tries to patch BF2 to 1.1, and that can A: result in corrupted and missing files B: SF install crashes C: BF2 actually gets patched to 1.1 or D: It stays in the current patch. It's very, VERY random.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
princesssamuel
+0|6145
Cheers for all the suggestions guys. I think Reinstall both games and try the 1.41 patch. If it doesn't work, however, I'll be back on, hunting for more answers! So be ready!
kingofkolt
+17|6240|Boston, MA, USA
I would actually suggest that, if the reinstall of both games and then the patch doesn't work, you should then copy the shader files to the shaders folder and then run the 1.41 patch again. That's what's worked for me.
princesssamuel
+0|6145
Well, I'm reinstalling the games today, so we'll see how it goes.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • It'd be nice for some answers, but it's nothing urgent :P

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard