BrimstoneFire
+5|6458|Brisbane
Hey guys I recently bought my new rig

P4 2.16 Core 2 Duo
    4 Gig of ram
    256 8600GT <--- have a 2nd one
    Gigabyte P35 DS3P Mobo <-- changing to Asus nforce striker nF680i for Sli!!!
    and 2x raptor 75 gig running in Raid mode

Admittedly im running windows vista ultimate 64 bit and have been told to get rid of it... but i spent enough already..
my problem is when i have all 4 gig in my computer goes into dump mode at random times.. more often or not at the worst times too! eg.. playing bf2!  however when i have 2 gig in it runs fine...

Ive tested the ram and it each one works fine.  <-- had each one in at different times and booted up and worked fine.. also tried it on another mates computer and they work fine.. at max 2 gig. all tried ram test and came up with no faults

Ive updated the bios and motherbaord with all the latest drivers.  Im guessing this is something really simple but the answer is eluding me..
I have also tried running it with the barest of specs in my computer.. eg... no pci slots being used and only using one raptor and it still doesnt like the 4 gig.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6234|United Kingdom
do you have 64-bit vista?
pedigreeuk
I'm English, not British!
+113|6770|Rotherham, England

BrimstoneFire wrote:

Admittedly im running windows vista ultimate 64 bit and have been told to get rid of it...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
The#1Spot
+105|6539|byah
you are confusing me a bit P4 and C2D are 2 totally different processor types. Anyways I would think the problem is your motherboard. Have you gone to the company site and look for updates? Is your ram from the same company with equal timings?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland
When are you changing to the ASUS?
BrimstoneFire
+5|6458|Brisbane

The#1Spot wrote:

you are confusing me a bit P4 and C2D are 2 totally different processor types. Anyways I would think the problem is your motherboard. Have you gone to the company site and look for updates? Is your ram from the same company with equal timings?
yeah funny that i have that problem of confusing the 2!... had a P4 for ages.. so still kinda sticks with me... but defintly C2D. as for updating the mainboard.. have done so kind sir... and the ram is exactly the same.. same shop, same type, same company, same timings....
BrimstoneFire
+5|6458|Brisbane

leetkyle wrote:

When are you changing to the ASUS?
getting the ASUS delivered tomorrow.. however keeping the Gigabyte for my old computer which i just replaced.. lol.. and i have 4 gig for that too coming my way.. so yeah.. i wanna find out the problem soon..
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland
Try the RAM on the Asus board to make sure it is okay. Memory dumping does happen even with 2GB (I've had it a few times myself), but not that often. No reason why you should feel bad about going to Vista - it's (in Tony the tiger's words) grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!
BrimstoneFire
+5|6458|Brisbane

leetkyle wrote:

Try the RAM on the Asus board to make sure it is okay. Memory dumping does happen even with 2GB (I've had it a few times myself), but not that often. No reason why you should feel bad about going to Vista - it's (in Tony the tiger's words) grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!
yeah im starting to like vista abit now.. cause of the lack of mem dump since going back to 2 gig..
yeah i will be trying all 4 gig on the ASUS but will be upset if it works on that and not the gigabyte!
vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6616|UCF
So.... did you try adjusting the voltages?
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6765|Cambridge (UK)
It sounds like one of three things:

1. some of your RAM is marginal - that is good enough to pass all the tests, but not good enough under load conditions...
2. there's a problem with your motherboard...
3. something else...
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

Drop the frequency on the RAM. If that solves the problem then it's a RAM/Mobo incompatibility issue. You might be able to get round it by uping the voltage a teensy bit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard