G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
+24|6208|Contae Chorcaí | Éire
yes, it glitches extremly every 3-5 seconds and im definite that it is only on BF2, when i press TAB in server my ping is among the lowest but acts like the worst, please find a solution!!!!!!plz!!! will i give u my rig details, would that work although this problem started recently!!
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)

G.Cronin wrote:

Recently while playing BF2 i have in countered a problem with my Internet, when i get onto a server the Internet is perfect but after about 5Min's, it goes completely dead and says 'there is a problem with your connection' and i lose connection, and straight away it is perfect again, this is causing me alot of deaths and happens in every server. Does anyone have a solution and thanks in advance
Wireless or wired?

Is it only BF2 that you have problems with (is general surfing, downloading, etc ok (video streaming is a good test))?
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
its wired, thats exacly what its like, everything else is perfect even BF2 online menu but second i enter a server.....crappy and dead!!!
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)

G.Cronin wrote:

its wired, thats exacly what its like, everything else is perfect even BF2 online menu but second i enter a server.....crappy and dead!!!
Hmm... I take it's only recently started doing this?

Have you changed any settings?

Downloaded any windows updates recently?

Changed ISP?
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
yes its recently started doing this but do u mean changed BF2 settings??? i think i might have downloaded a windows update a while ago but i cant remember
[FHF]MattyZ
What the Deuce?
+29|6679|Washington
Go to start, then run, and type "cmd" then enter.  When the black screen comes up, type "netstat -a" then hit enter.  This will show all your connections to the internet.  If you are not browsing the web, it should moslty be blank.  While playing BF2, Alt+Tab out of the game, and try it to see what kind of connections you have running.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)

G.Cronin wrote:

yes its recently started doing this but do u mean changed BF2 settings??? i think i might have downloaded a windows update a while ago but i cant remember
I mean any settings.

I'm thinking it's one of three things - for some reason your ISP, or a windows-update, or settings change somewhere (not necessarily in bf2) has started degrading you bandwidth when playing BF2.

Is there anything you can think of - some kind of change - that happened just before you started getting problems?

If not, I would try reinstalling BF2 first, then Windows, then, if neither of those fixes it, get onto your ISP...
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
i'll try that so, i'll reply tomorrow with results hopfully, thanks

mattyz, i tried what u said and i got tons of applications and alot said the state was LISTENING and almost all of them said foreign adress=*:* and no state. there were about 150 different things showing up, is that normal??

Last edited by G.Cronin (2007-07-31 17:10:13)

Villain{NY}
Banned
+44|6361|New York
Just curious but what firewall are you using and have you made any changes to it recently?
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)

Villain{NY} wrote:

Just curious but what firewall are you using and have you made any changes to it recently?
That's the sort of thing I'm referring to when I ask 'have you changed any settings?' - only I'm not limiting it to just one thing - a lot of these odd problems that just suddenly start happening, for no apparent reason, are down to some seemingly unrelated settings change somewhere - and they can be very unrelated...

G.Cronin: Give it some really thorough thought - ask yourself, what have I changed? what's been installed (e.g. windows updates)? and so on - leave no stone unturned - no matter how unrelated to BF2 and the internet it may seem... and good luck in tracking it down - these kinds of problems can be the worst to track down... (which is why doing a reinstall is a good idea (it wipes the slate clean))...
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
do u mean reinstalling Windows because i havent done that before!!! would i lose all applications in the process???
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)

G.Cronin wrote:

do u mean reinstalling Windows because i havent done that before!!! would i lose all applications in the process???
If you do need to reinstall windows, then yes, you will have to reinstall all your apps and games and everything as well.

That's why I said you start by just reinstalling BF2 (if you can't think of any change that may have caused it).

Having said that, if you have never reinstalled windows, it's probably about time you did - windows has a habit of getting horribly clogged up over time - you can get various utils that will help clear it out, but a full reinstall is generally the best way... And it's not that hard...

So, again, if you can't think of anything that's changed that might have caused it, just do a full reinstall of BF2 first... if that doesn't help, then come back and post here again, or PM me - I'll send you instructions on doing a full windows reinstall...
Villain{NY}
Banned
+44|6361|New York

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Villain{NY} wrote:

That's the sort of thing I'm referring to when I ask 'have you changed any settings?' - only I'm not limiting it to just one thing - a lot of these odd problems that just suddenly start happening, for no apparent reason, are down to some seemingly unrelated settings change somewhere - and they can be very unrelated...

G.Cronin: Give it some really thorough thought - ask yourself, what have I changed? what's been installed (e.g. windows updates)? and so on - leave no stone unturned - no matter how unrelated to BF2 and the Internet it may seem... and good luck in tracking it down - these kinds of problems can be the worst to track down... (which is why doing a reinstall is a good idea (it wipes the slate clean))...
Some good advice there Scorpion, like you said even the smallest change to your system in your eyes can have many adverse consequences.  From reading the thread it sounds like he's losing packets somewhere.  I had a similar problem with my AVG firewall, it let me log in with no problem but after only a few minutes the lag became so intense that playing became a futile effort.  I suggest before you go through the lengthy process of reinstalling try to first play with you F/W turned off.  I wish you luck my friend, and let us know how you make out.

Last edited by Villain{NY} (2007-07-31 17:19:35)

G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
Villain, i have AVG too and i just disabled its firewall and its reduced lag greatly, it must have been an AVG update thats caused the problem, it has'nt entirely fixed the problem and for some reason my ping has greatly increased when pressing TAB, but thanks!!! oh and villain, when i ran Start->Run->cmd->netstat -a i found my BF2 connection to be:
Proto                Local Adress                    Foreign Adress                       State
TCP                  WINDOWS:4039              207.38.11.34.29900                ESTABLISHED

Last edited by G.Cronin (2007-07-31 18:07:37)

[FHF]MattyZ
What the Deuce?
+29|6679|Washington
If that is the only thing running in netstat, then you are fine.  If you are behind a router, you do not need a firewall.  Try Start, Run, "CMD" enter, "IPCONFIG /ALL" enter, and note what your IP address is.  If it is 192.168.x.x , then you are behind a router.  If you get something else like 76.104.x.x then you are connected directly to the internet and might need the firewall when browsing the web.
taxi2you
+22|6661|Missouri
You might also want to run a virsus scan and a anti spyware program.  If you use IE you will have a ton of cookies.  Then run a disk clean up and defrag.  if you haven't done this in a while it will take and hour or more.  XP has a nasty habit of keeping "compressed files" that take forever to delete.
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
when i go to Start->Run->cmd->netstat -a, i do get BF2 but also about 150 other applications that have all different ports and a foreign address of *:* and no state and about 5 applications saying the state is LISTENING!!! is this normal?? / and taxi2you, iv done the disk cleanup which i haven't done in months because of PC problems but fixed now, i had 1,278,591 compressed old files!! lol, thanks for reminding me to clean
Villain{NY}
Banned
+44|6361|New York

G.Cronin wrote:

Villain, i have AVG too and i just disabled its firewall and its reduced lag greatly, it must have been an AVG update thats caused the problem, it has'nt entirely fixed the problem and for some reason my ping has greatly increased when pressing TAB, but thanks!!! oh and villain, when i ran Start->Run->cmd->netstat -a i found my BF2 connection to be:
Proto                Local Adress                    Foreign Adress                       State
TCP                  WINDOWS:4039              207.38.11.34.29900                ESTABLISHED
Cronin, what I did was uninstall the AVG firewall completely and just used their anti-virus and it completely fixed my lag, and losing packet issue.  It was ashame too because I really liked the AVG security.  If you're installing AVG from a disc just simply uncheck the "firewall" box when you're prompted as to what features you want to install.  I've since been using the windows firewall when I'm gaming and the Iolo firewall when i'm just surfing.
taxi2you
+22|6661|Missouri
FYI.  I couldn't play with AVG.  I kept getting a PB boot after about 2 minutes.  I did everything AVG and evenbalance suggested and I still couldn't stay connected.  Deleted AVG and no problems since.

Last edited by taxi2you (2007-08-01 13:02:40)

G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
iv uninstalled AVG now but what should i use as anti virus software?? or do i need it?
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)

G.Cronin wrote:

iv uninstalled AVG now but what should i use as anti virus software?? or do i need it?
Ideally, yes, you should have Anti-virus. Can you not install the AVG anti-virus separately from the firewall?
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
i didn't get a CD, when i uninstalled AVG BF2 stopped glitching with low ping but instead the ping sky rockets alot and i lag extremely, I'm thinking of reinstalling Windows but need help!!(i also uninstalled BF2 and reinstalled but no difference)
[FHF]MattyZ
What the Deuce?
+29|6679|Washington
Have you tried HiJackThis?
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6399|the land of bourbon
i'm still experiencing this problem.  every so often, the "problem with connection" pops up, for about 10 seconds.  it's very intermittent, so it's damn near impossible to figure out what the culprit is.  can someone post the instructions for updating PB manually?  i know there around here somewhere...
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Fubsy
+1|6131
Dont know if this helps at all but i had very similar issues to urs with lag spikes in bf2142 i tryed just about everything to fix it even went as far as reinstalling windows, it was so bad id be running one direction then lag and be facing the other way lol, but anyway after changing the router i had for another one a friend had it fixed it straight away.. I was thinking it was this new pb crap that weve now goto put up with as a system process, the reason i thought this was because after reinstalling bf2142 then jumping into as server it was smooth as u like until pb updated then it was back to the same old lag, perhaps my old router was blocking pb in some way dont really know..

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard