Poll

Should Tony Stewart have been fined for swearing on ESPN?

Yes12%12% - 5
No87%87% - 36
Total: 41
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6470|The Land of Scott Walker
After winning the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis, Tony Stewart was fined $25,000 and docked 25 points by NASCAR for cursing during interview.  Should he have been fined?  I personally think it's really stupid.  Seriously . . . "detrimental to stock car racing"?!?!?!  ESPN is not network tv and who hasn't heard the word "shit" since approximately the age of 4? 

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/7078996?MSNHPHMA

Stewart, who had just scored his second victory in three years at his hometown race track, was soaking up the adoration from the throng of orange-clad fans when he dedicated the win to them.  "This one's for every one of those fans in the stands who pull for me every week and take all the (expletive) from everybody else," he said.  The curse came on ESPN's first Nextel Cup broadcast since 2000.  NASCAR, which called the language inappropriate and said Stewart's actions were detrimental to stock car racing, also docked car owner Joe Gibbs 25 points. It follows a precedent that started in 2002, when crew chief Chad Knaus was penalized for cursing on TV.

The penalties escalated over the next few seasons, and Dale Earnhardt Jr. was knocked out of the points lead when he was docked 25 points for cursing after his 2004 win at Talladega.

The penalty doesn't hurt Stewart in the standings. He is currently fifth in the points, and the deduction didn't drop him.

But sixth-place Carl Edwards is now only 17 points away from him. The top 12 drivers in the standings after the Sept. 8 race in Richmond make the Chase for the championship.
advertisement

The curse spoiled ESPN's return to NASCAR. Stewart is feuding with the network, which criticized him two weeks ago for saying he was going to drink a case of beer to celebrate his July 15 win in Chicago.

An ESPN analyst said later that Stewart was not a good role model, and Stewart has been reluctant to do interviews with its announcers. He participated in the post-race interview at the finish line, but it ended after he used the expletive.

He later criticized the network when asked if he would be celebrating the Indy win with another case of beer.

"I don't want anybody from ESPN talking about how irresponsible I am, even though it's legal to do everything I did," he said. "Heaven forbid you actually have fun in life."
----------------
Post your thoughts with your vote.

Last edited by Stingray24 (2007-07-31 17:52:28)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6430|North Carolina
The FCC is full of *bleep.*  There are several words that can get you fined for absurd amounts, and so can nudity.  Yet, violence is A-OK with the FCC's rules.

If anyone is to blame for this *bleep*, it's the *bleep*ing American Family Association.

Donald Wildmon can kiss my *bleep* and shove a *bleep* up his *bleep.*  He's a useless mother*bleep*er, and so are his *bleep*ing followers.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6366|Atlanta, Georgia
fook no, thats dumb its just a word.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6504|Somewhere else

bobby177
+129|6498|Texas.. getting out asap
Unless he said something along the lines of, "Those other drivers are bitch ass motherfuckers" there should be no fine or penalty.
jsnipy
+3,276|6547|...

I don't think so.

All NASCAR cars about its keeping its revenue stream in tact, not this wholesome family thing.

NASCAR should stop allowing a shithole trash heap store like food lion from being one its sponsors.
Jbrar
rawr
+86|6566|Winterpeg, Canada
what did he actually say in his speech?
Villain{NY}
Banned
+44|6369|New York
Yeah short people are usually bad tempered.
bobby177
+129|6498|Texas.. getting out asap

Jbrar wrote:

what did he actually say in his speech?

Stingray24 wrote:

"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands who pull for me every week and take all the (shit) from everybody else,"
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6804|Great Brown North
fucking pathetic

he got fined 25k for saying shit?!?! are you fucking kidding me?

Last edited by krazed (2007-07-31 20:07:51)

-101-InvaderZim
+42|6868|Waikato, Aotearoa
hahahaha sucks to be in the US when it comes to censorship.

You can swear on live tv in NZ and Aussie (and get away with it)
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6671
lol, I said shit on my highschool's tv show when I was fumbling through my script one day. I didn't get in trouble at all. They just didn't let me go live anymore. Glad I'm not rich.
Zilla
Killa of threads
+122|6666|7th level of hell

Racing star = Public figure... Public figure = microscope... of course he's gonna get fined for swearing, "little kids look up to him"... anything that the Amreican media can grab ahold of...( Paris Hilton in jail, Britney shaving her head, tom and whats her fuck....) they are gonna blow way out of proportion, so nascar HAS to fine to "Set Examples", and give the media fresh "MEAT"
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6799|Noizyland

-101-InvaderZim wrote:

hahahaha sucks to be in the US when it comes to censorship.

You can swear on live tv in NZ and Aussie (and get away with it)
Yeah but back in the 70s Tim Shadbolt was imprisoned for saying "bullshit" at a rally. Now it's mostly okay to swear on NZ TV though.

Fined for saying shit... that's ridiculous. Are they serious in thinking that he's a bad role model because he drinks beer and swears? Fuck man, if that's the type of role models they're concerned about I wonder what their ideal role model would be, Ned fucking Flanders? Seems like they're just looking for an excuse to dock his pay a bit. People need to harden the fuck up if while watching motor racing the word "shit" offends them so much that it warrents a fine or ANY kind of diciplinary action. Their lives obviously aren't hard enough so they should get the fines.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6315|Éire
Jeez ...Wayne Rooney said fuck on daytime television when Man United won the Premiership and I don't think he got any punishment. The family guy clip posted above sums up the FCC.
zeidmaan
+234|6439|Vienna

Unbelievabe. I really dont get it. TV is full of nudity and HORRIBLE examples for the kids (MTV) and more violence than ever, but Bruce Willis cant say ""mother fucker" in Die Hard ?
theelviscerator
+19|6313
It doesnt surprise me that the amoral generation doesnt get it.

Yes he should have been fined.

You look like an uncouth moron when you cuss on tv.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6315|Éire

theelviscerator wrote:

It doesnt surprise me that the amoral generation doesnt get it.

Yes he should have been fined.

You look like an uncouth moron when you cuss on tv.
I think you come across as unintelligent when you swear casually in normal conversation but fining someone that much cash for swearing? The word shit I believe?

...get the fuck outta my face with that
TGMaverick
+16|6255
Yes - the precedent had been set, and if he wasn't fined, everyone would be screaming "0Mg N4SC4r iz PL4y1nG F4V0rZ!!!"  Besides, 25 points this late into the regular season doesn't mean a whole helluva lot, and Tony could find $25,000 in between his couch cushions.

edit - he actually said "bulls***", not "s***"

Last edited by TGMaverick (2007-08-01 05:49:47)

ReTox
+100|6524|State of RETOXification

zeidmaan wrote:

Unbelievabe. I really dont get it. TV is full of nudity and HORRIBLE examples for the kids (MTV) and more violence than ever, but Bruce Willis cant say ""mother fucker" in Die Hard ?
Yippee-Ki-Yay!
GATOR591957
+84|6652
I'm hoping your memory is not this bad.  Dale Earnhart Jr. was fined for swearing on TV as well.  If NASCAR is anything, they are consistent.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6470|The Land of Scott Walker
Neither of them should have been fined.  I'm consistent, too.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard