Not
Great success!
+216|6586|Chandler, AZ

CameronPoe wrote:

Pubic wrote:

I asked before, but got no response so I'll ask again.  How are white foreigners received by US blacks?
I've always been greeted warmly by them. Could be something to do with our shared past of oppression: 'No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs'. There is an empathy there.
Hadn't thought of that.

I guess I don't know enough about foreigners perceptions of blacks to really answer that question any better than I attempted to above. But I would guess that many of the stereotypes of us aren't as prevalent in some other countries, so it's easier and a little more comfortable to get to know someone who doesn't have a totally warped set of assumptions about us to begin with. But like I said, that's just a guess, maybe people everywhere associate black people with violence and drugs, I really wouldn't know. The only foreign countries I've been to are Iraq, Ethiopia and Jamacia....and Canada + Mexico if those count.
BVC
+325|6705

Ikarti wrote:

http://www.blackpeopleloveus.com
Haha funny shit!  Good find, +1!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

Not wrote:

@ lowing

I apologize for not catching on to your opinion the right way sooner. i admit that I skipped a lot of this thread before I posted and I clearly missed your personal responsibility points. I agree with you in full there. Yes, it's a choice to sell and buy crack. Yes, we continue to perpetuate these actions as sociocultural norms, and yes I believe people should be held accountable for themselves. Also, you've hit the nail on the head when it comes to race vs. poverty. I apologize for phrasing my argument in a way that neglected to mention the white lower class. Poverty is poverty, regardless of race. The struggles are very much the same.

I think that you and I can continue this discussion, and learn quite a bit from each other as long as we realize and accept that neither of us have a crystal clear picture of the entire situation.

I'd pose this scenario to you to start things off, in regards to why the projects remain the projects, and only a few of us make it out. In a situation where poverty runs deep, the primary goal is survival. A lot of people can't imagine going for two weeks without food. It's a sad reality though, and one that I don't wish on anyone. You seem educated yourself, so imagine if you will how hard it would be to focus during high-school while your stomach has been empty for well over a week. Not to mention the other distractions that living in the projects brings. It's very difficult to rise above that, and I believe it takes a far above average effort to prevail.

Now lets say that you get home to find your mother crying, holding your eviction notice. Congratulations, you're about to be homeless on top of starving. Oh, and your mother doesn't have enough money to support the three kids she has, since their father ran off with some other woman, and is now in prison. (The authorities generally don't chase men down through other states to collect child support money, most of the time it's just let go. They certainly don't make an extra effort to help out people who can't pay a private investigator to go find him, especially when the guy isn't going to pay up anyway.)

So you step outside to think about what's going to happen nest, and a brand new Escalade rolls up to your street, and a man with a giant diamond necklace tells you to come talk to him. He offers to front you a ki to help with the bills, all you gotta do is move it in a week and bring back 70% of that money as his cut. And he promises you that the faster you keep moving it for him, the more of that cut you get to keep.

Lets crunch the numbers on this now. At the time, this dealer picks up a kilo for about $1500 in Mexico through Colombian importers. In Miami, that ki sells for $30,000. So after paying him back the 70%, plus the price he paid for it, you've just made $8550. Now not only are you not going to be homeless, you're not going to be starving either. You can afford to keep your family alive through drugs. Is it honest? No, of course not. But is it a means to survive? Yeah, sadly it is. The trouble is that the cocaine business isn't a safe one by any means. And I don't think you need personal experience with it to be able to assume such.

This is the cycle that people in the projects live through. It's very attractive. In one ki you make as much as your family does in an entire year. Anyone who's faced with breaking the law for that much money, and dying of starvation isn't going to have to think very long about that decision. The real shame, is that in these communities that easy way out has become all that's left. It creates violent turf wars, and throws to the wind any sense of lawfulness or sense of duty to your community. There are no jobs in these places because no business wants to set up shop anywhere near a place where they'll most likely just be extorted or robbed. People in the hood don't live by the laws because the laws never protected them or their families in the past. This isn't new, this is a direct result (In my experience) of a long history of cops simply not caring. It goes way back to before the civil rights movement. It was rare to ever see a black police officer. And too often, white police officers wouldn't respond to the black communities. This is often joked about by many black comedians, how if a black man calls anyone for help, the other side usually just hangs up. It's unfortunately not so much a joke as a cruel reality. It's only because of humor that a lot of people have ever even heard of that situation.

I broke through it though, but I doubt that anyone who saw a kid dressed up in 3rd generation hand-me-downs, looking like a poster-child for the "Adopt an Ethiopian" programs, with a less-than impressive high-school transcript would have considered me for admission to a University. I truly believe that it was because the school was looking for diversity that my application was considered, and approved. I know I'm qualified. I believe that after having some "dialogue" here with me, you believe I am as well. But the admissions office doesn't have a dialogue. They have an application to look at. And growing up in my situation, it wasn't very impressive. I'm sure now that they're not regretting accepting me, but I can see no reason other than affirmative action as to why I would have been selected to have been given that opportunity. It's not putting myself down, it's just honestly the way I see it.

Before I'm done with this post I'd like to address another comment made earlier (A bit off topic so it's saved for the end) about how MLK set up the road to Civil Rights. It's true, he did make very good points. He spoke well and truly challenged the moral fabric that enveloped our society at the time. However, regardless of how right he was, or how proper his methods were, he was not as effective in finally bringing about true change as Malcolm X was. It wasn't until there was violence in the streets, and fear was put in the hearts of the people, that anyone truly took this situation seriously.

Also, as far as black wealth goes. If Steve Jobs or the Phillip-Morris people woke up with Oprah's money, they'd jump into a bathtub with their TV's.
Another good post with some tough questions, I can't answer. All I can say is, as you and Jusster have proven, is the cycle has to be broken somewhere, and like it or not  it is up to the individual to do so. It isn't going to be broken by me, "whitey" or a drug dealer. Life isn't fair, some need to work harder than others to achieve. Like I said before, I am all for helping anyone that wants to help themselves, but that person should be obligated to ask for it and show a desire for it.

I will not apologize ( and I am not suggesting you think I should ) for ghettos or gang life or shitty nieghborhoods. I will not apologize for NOT wanting to live there or for choosing who my nieghbors are going to be when I buy a house, because I don't want to them living next to  me. I choose the quality of a person over the color. It isn't my fault that the ghettos are mainly blacks. I am being called a racist because I am accused of hating blacks. Reality is, I hate ghettos and the tail spin, life in there brings. I guess an example would be, I hate radical Islam, so I guess I could be accused of hating Middle Easterners, but the reality is I hate their radical beliefs, it just so happens that those believers are mostly Middle Easterners.

Also, let me be clear, although I didn't grow up on the "streets" I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth either. Everything I have and don't have, I earned.

Jusster, I also read your post to NOT, but I will not respond since you weren't talking to me. Just so ya know I am not ignoring your posts.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6847
Why bother if you make headway they pull your post. Just yell Bush sux all the time. thats what most kids want to hear.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6565

Horseman 77 wrote:

Why bother if you make headway they pull your post. Just yell Bush sux all the time. thats what most kids want to hear.
Who has been pulling your posts? I generally disagree with post pulling even if the views expressed are controversial.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-09-04 07:45:01)

Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6719|Wilmington, DE, US

CameronPoe wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

Who has been pulling your posts? I generally disagree with post pulling even if the views expressed are controversial.
Cameron, it's Horseman. His posts aren't controversial...they're something else. Starts with an s and ends with a d.
Not
Great success!
+216|6586|Chandler, AZ
I just realized how far off topic from the OP we've gone here, lol. Sorry about that, even though I'm sure I wasn't the first person in the life of this thread to contribute to that. If ther's something related to your OP that you want me to comment on specifically I'd be happy to. Just let me know.

In the meantime: http://ridindirrrty.ytmnd.com/
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

Not wrote:

I just realized how far off topic from the OP we've gone here, lol. Sorry about that, even though I'm sure I wasn't the first person in the life of this thread to contribute to that. If ther's something related to your OP that you want me to comment on specifically I'd be happy to. Just let me know.

Yeah, based on your past world or now, do you or have you seen a double standard TODAY with regards to what minorites can do and get away with as opposed to whites. Examples: Black Miss America, United Negro College Fund, BLACK Entertainment TV. etc....Now before you post, it has already been pointed out that it is the white man's country and the minorites are deserving of these things and so on and so on. Please forget all of that. We can get to that later, ( again) but simply yes or no. Would the minorites have a shit fit if the whites held a MISS WHITE AMERICA, or WHITE ENTERTAINMENT TV, or a STRAIGHT WHITE GUY COLLEGE FUND??
jonsimon
+224|6505

lowing wrote:

Not wrote:

Yeah, based on your past world or now, do you or have you seen a double standard TODAY with regards to what minorites can do and get away with as opposed to whites. Examples: Black Miss America, United Negro College Fund, BLACK Entertainment TV. etc....Now before you post, it has already been pointed out that it is the white man's country and the minorites are deserving of these things and so on and so on. Please forget all of that. We can get to that later, ( again) but simply yes or no. Would the minorites have a shit fit if the whites held a MISS WHITE AMERICA, or WHITE ENTERTAINMENT TV, or a STRAIGHT WHITE GUY COLLEGE FUND??
Why would we want any of those things?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

jonsimon wrote:

lowing wrote:

Not wrote:

I will answer your question the SECOND you answer mine.
jonsimon
+224|6505

lowing wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

lowing wrote:

Yeah, sure, some black people would probably think it was really wierd, but then again, so would a ton of white people. Those things would just be wierd.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

jonsimon wrote:

lowing wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

Yeah, sure, some black people would probably think it was really wierd, but then again, so would a ton of white people. Those things would just be wierd.
To answer yer question, yes I agree we don't need those things any morethan the minorites need them.
kilgoretrout
+53|6479|Little Rock, AR

lowing wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

lowing wrote:

To answer yer question, yes I agree we don't need those things any morethan the minorites need them.
Honestly, I think you're doing the same thing you think black people would do.  So BET and the UNCF exist.  Big deal.  I'm a straight, middle class white male and I didn't have any problem at all getting a full scholarship to a liberal arts college that's consistentely ranked in the top 40 liberal arts schools in the country.  Yes, there were people at my school that had scholarships just because they were minorities, but most of them were interesting, cool people that added a lot to the campus.  And you can bet nearly all of them wouldn't have been able to go to my school if not for the scholarships.  Is it necessarily fair that a white kid with the same record (GPA, test schores, etc) didn't get that scholarship?  Maybe not.  However, our school didn't really need one more boring white kid, so I'm not fussed about it.  The boring white kid should've worked harder or learned to play an instrument if they wanted a scholarship.
Not
Great success!
+216|6586|Chandler, AZ

lowing wrote:

Not wrote:

I think it's really all a matter of how a person perceives these things. BET for example, can be looked at as a statement, or it can be looked at simply as a television channel that caters to the preferences of the majority of the black community. It doesn't have to be an "Anti-White" channel, it can simply be a "Pro-Black" channel. When it comes to setting up a "White Entertainment Television" channel it's no different, but the demand for it is probably not as great, because most typical television channels already cater to a white audience. The only difference is that people would associate WET with racism. However, I wonder who would create the most fuss about WET being created? To be honest with you, it wouldn't bother me a bit. But I know more than a handful of white people (Who I just asked this question) that felt it would be very condescending and racist. There's a paranoia in white america with being labeled racist. I've seen people make themselves look like complete fools in their quest to not appear racist in front of me. Certainly not everyone is that way, but I think you'll find white people are in general much more afraid of being labeled racist than black people are. And all that does is give black people who want to play the race card a huge advantage. You could easily make an argument that is air-tight in favor of WET, and shrug off all of the anti-black remarks based on your foundation of logic and truth. The trouble is that few people I've encountered are willing to step through that fire, and hold the conviction in themselves that what they're doing is NOT racist but simply providing entertainment geared toward a specific demographic. It's not as if white people can't tune in to BET. Likewise, WET would not be excluding a black audience, there would just probably not be as much programming that we'd like on that channel so not many of us would watcj it.

In terms of the UNCF, there's a long history of that program being exploited by the administration. There's a lot of money being shaved off that should be going to students, and a lot of black people think it's a joke. BUT, the reason a UWCF would be a little more questionable is the proportions of race to poverty levels. If you look statistically at the amount of black people living in poverty, and the amount of white people living in poverty, there are many more black people living in poverty than white people per person. Based on the overall demographic, white people have a better chance of paying for school than black people. Not all of them, make no mistake. There are definitely white people who should be getting assistance, but in terms of communities as a whole, the black community definitely needs the help more. It's not 100% fair, but it's better than nothing, in my opinion.

Last edited by Not (2006-09-04 13:59:14)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

Not wrote:

lowing wrote:

Not wrote:

I think it's really all a matter of how a person perceives these things. BET for example, can be looked at as a statement, or it can be looked at simply as a television channel that caters to the preferences of the majority of the black community. It doesn't have to be an "Anti-White" channel, it can simply be a "Pro-Black" channel. When it comes to setting up a "White Entertainment Television" channel it's no different, but the demand for it is probably not as great, because most typical television channels already cater to a white audience. The only difference is that people would associate WET with racism. However, I wonder who would create the most fuss about WET being created? To be honest with you, it wouldn't bother me a bit. But I know more than a handful of white people (Who I just asked this question) that felt it would be very condescending and racist. There's a paranoia in white america with being labeled racist. I've seen people make themselves look like complete fools in their quest to not appear racist in front of me. Certainly not everyone is that way, but I think you'll find white people are in general much more afraid of being labeled racist than black people are. And all that does is give black people who want to play the race card a huge advantage. You could easily make an argument that is air-tight in favor of WET, and shrug off all of the anti-black remarks based on your foundation of logic and truth. The trouble is that few people I've encountered are willing to step through that fire, and hold the conviction in themselves that what they're doing is NOT racist but simply providing entertainment geared toward a specific demographic. It's not as if white people can't tune in to BET. Likewise, WET would not be excluding a black audience, there would just probably not be as much programming that we'd like on that channel so not many of us would watcj it.

In terms of the UNCF, there's a long history of that program being exploited by the administration. There's a lot of money being shaved off that should be going to students, and a lot of black people think it's a joke. BUT, the reason a UWCF would be a little more questionable is the proportions of race to poverty levels. If you look statistically at the amount of black people living in poverty, and the amount of white people living in poverty, there are many more black people living in poverty than white people per person. Based on the overall demographic, white people have a better chance of paying for school than black people. Not all of them, make no mistake. There are definitely white people who should be getting assistance, but in terms of communities as a whole, the black community definitely needs the help more. It's not 100% fair, but it's better than nothing, in my opinion.
Ok so GENERALLY SPEAKING, these "white" institutions would be construed as racist by the society??
Not
Great success!
+216|6586|Chandler, AZ
Right, regardless of whether or not they are, which in typical cases, really, they're not. White society seems to feel an overall obligation to call it racist in an attempt to appear sensitive. And because of this, the black people who feel the need to complain about it will, because they know the majority of white america is more concerned with not appearing racist than appearing right. At least the way I see it.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

Not wrote:

Right, regardless of whether or not they are, which in typical cases, really, they're not. White society seems to feel an overall obligation to call it racist in an attempt to appear sensitive. And because of this, the black people who feel the need to complain about it will, because they know the majority of white america is more concerned with not appearing racist than appearing right. At least the way I see it.
That is some pretty deep thinking, NOT. I never woulda put that together.
lt.pritchard
+4|6648|Napoleon, Ohio

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

TheCanadianTerrorist wrote:

Atleast white people can support their native country, like the Scottish support Scotland and Irish support Ireland without being called racist, but if they ever say "white pride" instead of "Scottish/Irish pride," then god save the queen.
I occasionally attend Scottish Highland Games whenever they occur nearby, and have been considering the SCA. That's probably about as close to white pride as I'll be able to publicly display without being incorrectly called a Nazi. It's wrong that certain types of humans feel free to express pride in their heritage, but others have to be fearful of being politically incorrect if they do so. The excuse that "white people are the aggressors" holds no water with me, and should not for anyone else who is learned in world history.

PRiMACORD wrote:

Maybe it's because we ripped them from there homeland and used them as slaves. Why do you think so many black people make great athletes, we BRED them to be big and tossed the smart ones aside. Yes bred, like you breed animals, sad huh?

We have it pretty fucking good considering all the shit we've done.
Oh please...if you think black people are the only ones who've ever had enslaved ancestors, then you're outlook on things is sorrier than I thought. I've never owned a slave in my life. Why do I have to sit around and get chewed out because of what happened long before I was born?

But interestingly enough, African tribes often participated in rounding up black people to sell to slave traders.
Everyone on earth has their time on top and on the bottom...I can tell you a story about a people enslaved, their women raped, their villages burned to the ground. Made to lose their language, religion and culture....Sounds familar huh. Oh yeah Im talking about Europeans at the hands of the Romans.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6653
the concept of race is a racist idea
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA
Awwwwwwwwww, this is the first thread I started where I was labeled a racist........I think I am gunna cry.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6659

lowing you racist!

I'm racist too, just ask the mods.
Trel
+70|6687
Everyone is racist.  And kudos on the 10-month old thread revive.
Good to be back.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

Trel wrote:

Everyone is racist.  And kudos on the 10-month old thread revive.
Now a whole new generation of D&ST members can call me names.
golgoj4
+51|6784|North Hollywood
Since when is BET considered a positive for the Black Community?

Im surprised nobody sees that shit for what it really is...but that would require some honesty.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6653

golgoj4 wrote:

Since when is BET considered a positive for the Black Community?

Im surprised nobody sees that shit for what it really is...but that would require some honesty.
hold on, youre supposed to think all that stuff is acceptable.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard