blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6637
You think your broadband provider is expensive, try $3,355 per month for a 1.5Mbps DSL connection. Welcome to the internet in Kazakhstan. With DSL prices like these, it's no wonder Borat left Kazakhstan behind! A new report from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (PDF) paints a grim picture of Internet access in Kazakhstan and shows how difficult life can be for those in poor and authoritarian countries who want to join the worldwide community of Internet users.

Consider the prices for Internet access, for one. Most users (and only four percent of the country even has access) hook up through state-owned Kazakhtelecom, a company not concerned with competitive pricing for its services. An unlimited dial-up plan costs about €82 ($111) in a country where the average monthly wage is €292 ($399). As for DSL, an unlimited 1.5Mbps connection costs €2,458 ($3,355) a month, and doesn't even included the required ADSL modem. Want a 6Mbps cable connection? It'll cost you, to the tune of €16,144 ($22,032) a month. As the OSCE report drily notes, this is more than a thousand times the price of such a connection in Western Europe.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 … h-dsl.html
Mystline
Banned
+38|6112|United States
Its true quam
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6189|Winland

Damn... After Kazakstan comes Åland. 60€/month for a low-performing 12mbps line...
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6588|Michigan, USA
And here I was thinking I was getting ripped off with my $60 a month cable internet service.  No one let Comcast know about this!  i dont need more rate hikes.
TrashBlinD
french canadians suck
+135|6634|can
Wow.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6471|Somewhere else

kazakhstanis wrote:

all I want is some damn pron!
SealXo
+309|6527
in africa internets free for everyone
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6471|Somewhere else

SealXo wrote:

In Soviet Russia Internets download you!

(anyone else thinking that? )

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2007-07-29 13:46:43)

eMarine
Gorgonnash PVP
+119|6835|Sacramento, Cal

SealXo wrote:

no one likes a wise ass!
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6518|Milkystania, yurop
Geez talk about that one would have the worlds most expensive pron collection then
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6282|Washington St.
what the hell is so wrong with dial-up?!? I had 14.4k my entire life until I left for college (2 years ago) and it was fine. You couldn't download anything except for songs but it was fine for just surfing the net and look at pronz.
ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6352|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR
how could you look at teh pron with 14.4k?
tiptopT
+72|6573|Scotland's Capital

ceslayer23 wrote:

Slowly?
Smitty5613
+46|6518|Middle of nowhere, California
$150 a month where i live... cuz there is only 1 provider.... its got a monopoly...
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6576|England
https://funkyheart.com/images/stories/Borat/verynice.gif
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6430|King Of The Islands

Shit, beats Australia by about $4.

This was on Digg, and the comments (if one were to rely on their insight), believed it was a mistake in the conversion.

"3 355 Kazakh tenge = 27.192275 U.S. dollars"
Followed by "RTFA!"s

However, if DSL cost you 3-and-a-half-grand would you be 'blogging'?
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
jamiet757
+138|6614

blademaster wrote:

You think your broadband provider is expensive, try $3,355 per month for a 1.5Mbps DSL connection. Welcome to the internet in Kazakhstan. With DSL prices like these, it's no wonder Borat left Kazakhstan behind! A new report from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (PDF) paints a grim picture of Internet access in Kazakhstan and shows how difficult life can be for those in poor and authoritarian countries who want to join the worldwide community of Internet users.

Consider the prices for Internet access, for one. Most users (and only four percent of the country even has access) hook up through state-owned Kazakhtelecom, a company not concerned with competitive pricing for its services. An unlimited dial-up plan costs about €82 ($111) in a country where the average monthly wage is €292 ($399). As for DSL, an unlimited 1.5Mbps connection costs €2,458 ($3,355) a month, and doesn't even included the required ADSL modem. Want a 6Mbps cable connection? It'll cost you, to the tune of €16,144 ($22,032) a month. As the OSCE report drily notes, this is more than a thousand times the price of such a connection in Western Europe.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 … h-dsl.html
well if only 4% of the country has access, they have to charge prices like that to turn a profit!

RoosterCantrell wrote:

SealXo wrote:

In Soviet Russia Internets download you!

(anyone else thinking that? )
haha I can't remember what that is from but I love it, I work in a Bakery and I always write "In Soviet Russia, bread bakes YOU!" on the whiteboard!

Last edited by jamiet757 (2007-07-29 19:27:41)

NemeSiS-Factor
Favorite Weapon? Pistol
+29|6661|Everett, WA, US
Satellite? Is Khazakistan in the Northern Hemisphere?
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6430|King Of The Islands

jamiet757 wrote:

well if only 4% of the country has access, they have to charge prices like that to turn a profit!
Its state-owned. It only has to break even, but of course they don't say no to a little profit.

Man, its sounding more like Australia every minute.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6282|Washington St.

ceslayer23 wrote:

actually it wasn't that slow... pictures only of course, no vids...
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6382

I'm paying $59 for 1500 kbps 25GB.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2007-07-30 00:54:05)

<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6457|Melbourne - Home of Football

some_random_panda wrote:

I'm paying $59 for 1500 kbps 25GB.
I'm paying $59 for 40GB @ theoretical 24mbps, but actually around 10 000kbps, you need to hit whirlpool, or is it your line or location or something?

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard