NiMhurchu
Suicide Operations
+13|6846|Germany
As far as I know, this setting only affects idle bandwidth. Like for BITS (background intelligent transfer service), which will download updates only when your connection is near to idle, and then use only up to 20% of the bandwidth.

I have a 100MBit/s network card built in.
My internet connection is 16Mbit/s.
So my question is: what is the bottleneck here, a complicated to find, not always available Windows setting, or your internet connection?

Last edited by NiMhurchu (2007-07-28 04:02:03)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6451|The Twilight Zone
I hope this works for you guys cos im noticing a big difference while surfing the web. But dunno if it works for xp pro only.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6715|Riva, MD

.Sup wrote:

I hope this works for you guys cos im noticing a big difference while surfing the web. But dunno if it works for xp pro only.
It's only for high-end versions of XP which is basically anything other than Home.
CrazeD
+368|6671|Maine
This isn't going to work.

For one, if it's set to "not configured" it's not doing anything.

Second, you have to enable it...meaning it's not even enabled before-hand.
462nd NSP653
Devout Moderate, Empty Head.
+57|6682
Not true...not configured means it's already reserving the 20%.

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

Now I don't know if it works or not but I've always disabled the QoS Packet Scheduler in my TCP/IP properties so I think I've always had the benefit without having to gpedit or reg hack.

Last edited by 462nd NSP653 (2007-07-28 11:28:08)

geNius
..!.,
+144|6440|SoCal
Just disable QoS for your network device.

Edit:

462nd NSP653 wrote:

Not true...not configured means it's already reserving the 20%.

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

Now I don't know if it works or not but I've always disabled the QoS Packet Scheduler in my TCP/IP properties so I think I've always had the benefit without having to gpedit or reg hack.
What he said.

Last edited by geNius (2007-07-28 11:36:17)

https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6524|Milkystania, yurop
If you guys say that it works and does not screw the comp up im in
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6618|Mhz

Unless you use software that uses the QoS service (which you probabaly don't) then this wont do jack, any remotly accurate website will tell you that, and even if you do have QoS running for some bizarre reason the 20% is only reserved when it's being used, say the program using the reserved bandwidth is only using 3% the other 17% is available for other programs.

EDIT: Go to Control Pannel -  Admin Tools -  Services - then look for QoS RSVP, I'll bet most of you will find it's not even a started service.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2007-07-28 13:58:49)

Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6195|Winland

If QoS is enabled in the Standard settings in WinXP Pro install, then I have it enabled. But every fucking time I play BF2 Windows Update takes up all the 100% I have, just to get me kicked. Thank god WinUpdate can be disabled!
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

Oh not this again.

QoS packet scheduling is not typically used. Nor does it reserve 20% of bandwidth by default - that is the maximum that programs can use for packet scheduling. Unless you are using compatible hardware, which I doubt most, if not all, of you are, it will not make any difference.

Just to clarify this for you: http://support.microsoft.com/default.as … US;q316666

For those who can't be bothered to read that:

Microsoft wrote:

There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in end computers that are Running Windows XP" section correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.
This tweak is pointless.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-07-28 15:38:44)

Balok77
+28|6146
did it and it worked, sped up my internet alot

cheers man!
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

If you want to turn off QoS packet scheduling, you can do it far more simply in your network properties by unchecking the box. This will save you from very modest network overheads for apps that are not QoS aware.

Nothing to do with the Limit Reservable Bandwidth settings.

This will improve your network performance slightly.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-07-28 15:11:16)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard