Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

My dad's mobo stopped working so he needs a new one, I ordered it today, but I'm wondering if I should change the thermal paste when putting the heatsink and processor onto the other mobo.

Two guys told me as long as it hasn't overheated and gotten rock hard it should be ok to leave the old paste on, but one other guy said I should change it anyway.

This isn't for a high end gaming pc where heat dissipation is very important, only used to watch movies, e-mail etc.. so is it worth changing it?
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6450|Somewhere else

I would.  thermal paste is cheap. and even if its not for gaming, its easy to fry an improperly cooled Processor.

EDIT: Plus, to get the processor off the Mobo, Im pretty sure the heatsink/fan HAS TO come off the processor.  General rule of thumb:  You disturb thermal paste in any way, replace it.

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2007-07-27 18:04:18)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
ask Leetkyle about his, he seems very willing to make me buy some Arctic silver (or whatever it's called)
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
dubbs
+105|6602|Lexington, KY
It would be a good idea to change the thermal past.  Arctic silver is only like 5 USD on newegg.
Villain{NY}
Banned
+44|6314|New York
Yes you should thoroughly clean the paste off of the processor and apply some Artic Silver 5 to the CPU before docking it to the new mobo.  Once the Silver cures completely your processor will even run a few degrees cooler than with the stock paste.
bajabug69
+2|6504|Oz
Yep,good idea to put some AS5 on,heres the instructions if you need them.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silv … ctions.htm
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Yes, get Arctic Silver, you will NOT regret it.  I put it on my NorthBridge and my GPU and it's awesome.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

_j5689_ wrote:

Yes, get Arctic Silver, you will NOT regret it.  I put it on my NorthBridge and my GPU and it's awesome.
What's so awesome about it?
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
jaymz9350
+54|6547

Dauntless wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

What's so awesome about it?
AS5 is about the best thermal grease you can get.  and always replace the paste when you remove any heatsink on you pc.
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6569|S.C.
FIRST please change your sig.
Then use a ceramic based paste.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

lol these replies, people like to just say "arctic silver"

If you are going to change it make sure you clean it ... as makes a two part cleaning solution that works well.

I doubt it will make that much of a difference if any. You should take the temperatures now (after you have dusted the case) and what they are after applying the new compound, then share these results with the group.

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-07-28 13:14:46)

-101-InvaderZim
+42|6814|Waikato, Aotearoa
Remove and replace the thermal paste everytime you remove the heatsink off the cpu. Its also a good idea to clean the cpu with isopropol alcohol (the same stuff u use to clean cd player lens) before putting the heatsink back over the cpu.
It doesnt take very long for 40+ million transistors to fry ur processor due to incorrect cooling.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
Yes! it is a necessity unless you want your system to be very hot! Once taken off, the thermal paste will not work as well unless a new layer is applied. Make sure that you clean it off, and then use component cleaner or alcohol (edit: high concentration) and swab the area to remove any old paste (do not skip that part!).

I too recommend Arctic Silver 5 It isn't too hard to apply, just dollop and spread evenly!

Last edited by leetkyle (2007-07-29 05:50:04)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard