G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
+24|6209|Contae Chorcaí | Éire
Recently while playing BF2 i have in countered a problem with my Internet, when i get onto a server the Internet is perfect but after about 5Min's, it goes completely dead and says 'there is a problem with your connection' and i lose connection, and straight away it is perfect again, this is causing me alot of deaths and happens in every server. Does anyone have a solution and thanks in advance

Last edited by G.Cronin (2007-07-26 08:00:39)

I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6150|Scotland!
Press TAB and check if your ping is spiking up at the same time as you lose connection, if so:

Make sure you don't have anything downloading, no torrents, ares, limewire etc running while you play

Make sure nobody on your wireless or on your home network is downloading, running torrents, limewire etc while you play

Make sure you have a WEP code on your router which stops your neighbours from sneaking onto your wireless to dl etc which you play.

Run virus/spyware scans in safe mode to make sure it's not a virus/spyware infection that's causing it

Check if your ISP has an FUP (fair usage policy) in place that restricts your bandwidth in peak times if you've been downloading too much within a certain time frame

Failing all that, phone your ISP and ask for a line check.
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
my ping is always below 100 and i dont have wireless, i heard that it might be that the router is fried, could that be the problem??
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6658|Your moms bedroom
YES or you just have one of those routers with "built in internet protection"
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6150|Scotland!

G.Cronin wrote:

my ping is always below 100 and i dont have wireless, i heard that it might be that the router is fried, could that be the problem??
Try most of the things listed above before you spend any money on what could probably be totally unrelated.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6148|North Tonawanda, NY
Do you have a D-Link DI-624 router? 

I have one that goes into spells of rebooting.  It will work just fine for months, then one day I won't be able to maintain any connection for more than 5 minutes.  It's a known issue with D-Link, but there is no reliable fix that I have found.
weasel_thingo
+74|6344

SenorToenails wrote:

Do you have a D-Link DI-624 router? 

I have one that goes into spells of rebooting.  It will work just fine for months, then one day I won't be able to maintain any connection for more than 5 minutes.  It's a known issue with D-Link, but there is no reliable fix that I have found.
yeah d-link sucks...
k0balt
+1|6664|Cincinnati, OH
Just a shot, but do you have an AMD X2 processor? I was having problems with constant lost connections while playing BF2 and I upgraded a couple of AMD supplied X2 drivers, I now am "lost connection" free...

The drivers can be found here http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Tec … 18,00.html
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
no i dont have AMD processor, I'm not sure what my router is, where can i find it?? the problem seems to b linked to BF2 because i do have problems outside of BF2 but alot less. This shows my Internet speed, I'm in Cork-Ireland

https://www.speedtest.net/result/160593636.png
taxi2you
+22|6662|Missouri
Try unplugging your modem and counting to 10 (soft reset).  Plug back in and see what happens.  If no change, unplug and hit the reset button (hard reset).  Before you do the hard reset make sure you have your ISP user name and password handy if you don't know them.  Also your modem can get hot and will cycle itself for protection.  Try blowing a fan at it or moving it if is on the floor or in a confined area with little or no air flow.

*from experience with frying two routers and a modem....bought a desktop fan for the summer time.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6148|North Tonawanda, NY

G.Cronin wrote:

...I'm not sure what my router is, where can i find it??
It will say right on the device.  There should be a model number somewhere or a label on the bottom.
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
iv found it, its a TR-SUR-001, i think but its a modem, any ideas??
taxi2you
+22|6662|Missouri
Try what I suggested earlier and let me know the results.  I'll help you if you can do those first two things and let me know the reesults.  I need a baseline to workwith.   

And that is not your modem or router.  It is a surge protector POE hub.

Last edited by taxi2you (2007-07-26 10:10:09)

xRBLx
I've got lovely bunch of coconuts!!
+27|6373|England - Kent
Have You try'd just reseting you'r modem for at least 10 seconds? It worked for me.
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
OK, does anyone have a picture of what a modem or router should look like because i thought i knew until just now!! lol
taxi2you
+22|6662|Missouri
Look for the ethernet cable in the back of the machine.  It could be black, white, or yellow.  It should look like a big phone chord on the end.  follow it and see where it runs.  It should run to the hub that you stated earlier.  Follow those cables til you find the modem or router.  You probably just have a modem since you have the hub.  The hub could be your problem if you are sharing your internet with other comuters and they are using the bandwitdth.  Do you have cable or DSL? Or do you know?  This might help too in finding your modem/router.
Dimeyard
+7|6346|Sweden
I have the exact same problem, and I´ve tried everything several times.
It´s sucks.
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
My Ethernet cable goes from d back of the computer to a little white flat box with a light and too cables in it, one is the power cable and the other goes up to the roof and into another box outside. the one going to the box outside says CPE on it. so where is the modem/router??( oh and that's it, i only have 1 computer so i cant be sharing)

Last edited by G.Cronin (2007-07-26 13:46:08)

G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
does anyone know where i can find my modem/router, iv described my connection above
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6518|so randum
flat box with the light would be my guess. Nice sig btw
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
taxi2you
+22|6662|Missouri
ah, okay, not good.  The CPE is owned or lease by the ISP.  It is a "modem" but they don't want you messing with them.  See if you can access it through your Internet browser page.  Just type 192.168.1.1  this should bring up the modems main page.  Look for a tab that has maintenance or something similar and it should have a reset and it will turn it off and back on.  Since it is on your roof it could be getting hot and why your losing conncetion.

The flat white box is a surge protector/hub to connect more than one computer.  The CPE is a signal converter from phone or cable to internet.

Last edited by taxi2you (2007-07-26 19:41:40)

G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
i went to 192.168.1.1 website and i cant find anything to do with maintenance or reset, it only has topics on how to setup more computers etc.
taxi2you
+22|6662|Missouri
try 192.168.1.2    The first address sent you to the hub.  It isn't  a www btw.  You also can try calling your ISP for help if you cannot access it from that address and the modem is on the roof.  Unless you can get to it and manualy cycle the power.
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
lol, guess i'll be bringing out the ladder!!! thanks anyway +1 for you

Last edited by G.Cronin (2007-07-27 08:50:22)

taxi2you
+22|6662|Missouri
Still having trouble

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard