lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6799|Denver colorado
https://www.dantesknife.com/kb1462.JPG
http://www.impactguns.com/store/617717214622.html
I just picked up this nice ka-bar impact knife.

I thoroughly read through my states laws and I think that carrying that is aloud.

I also read and fully understand when a weapon should be used: If I'm in immediate danger of being killed. Its all about surviving.
http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html

-I'm 16
-I'm not a punk and I don't start or encourage fights.
-I understand how to avoid fights, I do quite often and I know that running away from a situation, if possible, is the best solution

Now comes the question, Do you think its safe, and legal (again, I did my research, I think it is, but I could be wrong) for me to carry a knife?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina
When it comes to legality, it depends on the state.  It sounds like you're well within the law in Colorado.

I would assume the same applies in my state.

However, I don't think it's legal for minors to carry large knives in NYC though.  DC probably doesn't allow it either.

As for the actual safety, I don't see any problem with you carrying one.  I honestly wouldn't have a problem with 16 year olds carrying handguns, as long as they don't have clinically defined mental problems.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6364|The Gem Saloon
Yes!

but most state laws will not allow the carrying fixed blade knives.
i carry one anyway, but i get a slight advantage.

edit: BTW, that knife is 1095 carbon steel, which is fine....but if you scratch that coat up, make sure you keep that blade oiled or that carbon steel will rust.

honestly, im surprised they made that knife with that steel....its a common forging steel, but i dont think that knife was forged.

oh and good job on the tanto.....ive seen people stab through fucking car doors with that design.

edit,edit: oh and if you stab someone and they dont have a weapon, your ass is grass. straight up....if there are five guys and they have no weapons and you light into one of them with that, you will go to jail. no doubt about it.

Last edited by Parker (2007-07-26 19:32:25)

SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6538|Mountains of NC

if you have it in a sheath hanging off your belt then you will get some looks, usually from guys bc they want to see what you got

legal no most states its illegal to carry a fixed blade with that length

in reality if you don't go looking for trouble and starting trouble, no one will care ---- I have had 4 different auto knives, countless lockbacks and fixed blades ------ I had a knife on me all through middle school and high school bc there are SO many uses for a knife and I use my knife at least a 100 times a day
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

Turquoise wrote:

When it comes to legality, it depends on the state.  It sounds like you're well within the law in Colorado.

However, I don't think it's legal for minors to carry large knives in NYC though.  DC probably doesn't allow it either.

As for the actual safety, I don't see any problem with you carrying one.  I honestly wouldn't have a problem with 16 year olds carrying handguns, as long as they don't have clinically defined mental problems.
We really are different on either side of the ocean, I think the idea of letting teenagers run around with guns is INSANE. Teenage life is rough, I had so many fights as a teenager that I would much rather not have had ...If I'd have had a gun I probably would have notched one or two kills by now. Knifes aren't as bad as they're not as lethal (although still very lethal) but I'd much prefer a society where no one except emergency police and detectives are allowed to carry weapons ...oh hang on, that's the society I live in, sweet!
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
Ah, okay, The Colorado weapon state laws say nothing about fixed blades. But could any of you that understand legal writings better than me skim over this and tell me anything I didn't totally get.

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/co.txt
13rin
+977|6449
Class II misdemeanor

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/co.txt

Unless you've got your CWP.

I live in FL

my laws (and I have a CWP) so this is my everyday carry knife.  Push button open baby!

http://www.benchmade.com/products/produ … model=3550

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2007-07-26 19:39:52)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6364|The Gem Saloon
"Knife" means any
   dagger, dirk, knife, or stiletto with a blade over 3-1/2
   inches in length, or any other dangerous instrument
   capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing
   wounds, but does not include a hunting or fishing knife
   carried for sports use. The issue that a knife is a
   hunting or fishing knife must be raised as an affirmative
   defense.

i dont like this part.......be careful man....you can get in some shit for that.
Turquoise
O Canada

Braddock wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

We really are different on either side of the ocean, I think the idea of letting teenagers run around with guns is INSANE. Teenage life is rough, I had so many fights as a teenager that I would much rather not have had ...If I'd have had a gun I probably would have notched one or two kills by now. Knifes aren't as bad as they're not as lethal (although still very lethal) but I'd much prefer a society where no one except emergency police and detectives are allowed to carry weapons ...oh hang on, that's the society I live in, sweet!
*shrugs*  Well, no matter where you live in the U.S., all weapons are prohibited from school grounds.  I'm just talking about everyday life.

But yes, we are a bit gun crazy here.  Still, it's not like banning guns is going to stop people from carrying them here.  We have 5 times as many guns as people in America.  In Canada, the ratio is even higher -- although most of their guns are rifles, not handguns.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
Ah, alright then, I guess I can't.

Legal text needs to be easier to read.
m8v2
Banned
+16|6265
Defending yourself is always alright.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6749|Great Brown North
unless you're properly trained on how to fight with a knife, it wouldn't advise trying to use it if confronted... although i do carry a knife readily for every day uses, i see no problem
13rin
+977|6449

m8v2 wrote:

Defending yourself is always alright.
+1
yea, you just gotta be careful in how you do it depending on where you are
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

Turquoise wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

*shrugs*  Well, no matter where you live in the U.S., all weapons are prohibited from school grounds.  I'm just talking about everyday life.

But yes, we are a bit gun crazy here.  Still, it's not like banning guns is going to stop people from carrying them here.  We have 5 times as many guns as people in America.  In Canada, the ratio is even higher -- although most of their guns are rifles, not handguns.
That's why I could never see myself living in the US, I can't imagine getting in a fight and thinking "this could be it, it's me or him, someone's gotta go", over here guns are really hard to get a hold of and I've never heard of anyone having a gun pulled on him in a fight (unless you pick a fight with a Westy or a traveller!). I like it that way and hope it stays like that.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6805|Kubra, Damn it!

Ask the next cop you see. If he says "yes", then knock yourself out.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3

chittydog wrote:

Ask the next cop you see. If he says "yes", then knock yourself out.
Just walk up to one without the knife on me I presume.

Theres a swat training center right next to the rec center I go to only a block away.
Turquoise
O Canada

Braddock wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Braddock wrote:

That's why I could never see myself living in the US, I can't imagine getting in a fight and thinking "this could be it, it's me or him, someone's gotta go", over here guns are really hard to get a hold of and I've never heard of anyone having a gun pulled on him in a fight (unless you pick a fight with a Westy or a traveller!). I like it that way and hope it stays like that.
I don't blame you...  But then again, it's not like every American carries a gun.  Ironically enough, statistics show that several highly armed areas are safer than less armed ones in terms of violent crime.

For example, DC doesn't allow non-law enforcement civilians to have handguns anywhere within the city limits, and yet, DC has one of the highest murder rates in the country.  Baltimore (the murder capital of the U.S.) is right next door too.

By contrast, many areas of Texas are heavily armed but have significantly lower murder rates.

Guns don't necessarily equal less safety, and honestly, why would you find yourself in many fights anyway?  You don't seem like the aggressive type.
Smitty5613
+46|6496|Middle of nowhere, California

Braddock wrote:

over here guns are really hard to get a hold of and I've never heard of anyone having a gun pulled on him in a fight (unless you pick a fight with a Westy or a traveller!). I like it that way and hope it stays like that.
same in the US (unless you pick a fight with an illegal Mexican)
cospengle
+140|6456|Armidale, NSW, Australia

krazed wrote:

unless you're properly trained on how to fight with a knife, it wouldn't advise trying to use it if confronted... although i do carry a knife readily for every day uses, i see no problem
Agreed. Pulling out a knife in the face of a crazed attacker would be like a red rag to a bull. Why bring a deadly weapon wherever you go? All it does is ensure there is a weapon available if someone wants to hurt you badly.

Anyway, if (as you claim) you know how to avoid fights, you won't be needing a knife.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

Turquoise wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I don't blame you...  But then again, it's not like every American carries a gun.  Ironically enough, statistics show that several highly armed areas are safer than less armed ones in terms of violent crime.

For example, DC doesn't allow non-law enforcement civilians to have handguns anywhere within the city limits, and yet, DC has one of the highest murder rates in the country.  Baltimore (the murder capital of the U.S.) is right next door too.

By contrast, many areas of Texas are heavily armed but have significantly lower murder rates.

Guns don't necessarily equal less safety, and honestly, why would you find yourself in many fights anyway?  You don't seem like the aggressive type.
You wouldn't believe the bad luck I have in getting into fights! None of my mates can understand it either as I have a pretty laid back temperament, I guess I have a face people just wanna hit! In the last five years since I've started lifting weights regularly I've had a lot less hassle, a visual deterrent I guess.

Your point about areas with high levels of gun ownership not necessarily having the highest death rates must be true if Canada has as many guns as you said, they don't have much gun crime as I understand it. I guess in certain areas with other societal symptoms guns just add another dangerous ingredient to a bad mix.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6731

Never owned a gun or a knife.  Never will either.
Turquoise
O Canada

usmarine2005 wrote:

WTF?...  Well, I guess it is true that your supplies are still government owned...
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6731

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

WTF?...  Well, I guess it is true that your supplies are still government owned...
?  I am not in anymore.  Still, never owned a personal weapon....ever.
Turquoise
O Canada

usmarine2005 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

?  I am not in anymore.  Still, never owned a personal weapon....ever.
Oh my mistake...  I just found it ironic.  Most guys I've known that have been in the service are gun hobbyists.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6539|Portland, OR, USA

usmarine2005 wrote:

didn't see that one coming..

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard