SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6122|North Tonawanda, NY

[NeMe$i$.Dr4g0ncl4w] wrote:

Im going to hope you arent serious here. First of all what do you think proves evolution? Scientific facts you say? Oh well I guess you forgot that science cant prove anything, the word science alone tells you that. Any scientist will tell you science proves nothing, it can only theorize. On top of that there are many flaws in the theory, yes theory not fact, of evolution. Another thing, creationism doesnt say "science is wrong and only miracles happen" only an idiot would say that. Creationism also uses science, just not the theory of evolution. Honestly, Id rather believe in creationism than think that humans came from fish who evolved into apes who evolved into cavemen. Evolution can not be proven by anything, it will always stay a theory. Teachers and scientists who force this on people like it is a fact are wrong. You cant prove evolution, you cant prove creationism. Its all a matter of belief, but ill say evolution is the stupidest story I have ever heard.
Pick your definition of theory:

In common usage, people often use the word theory to signify a conjecture, an opinion, or a speculation. In this usage, a theory is not necessarily based on facts; in other words, it is not required to be consistent with true descriptions of reality. True descriptions of reality are more reflectively understood as statements that would be true independently of what people think about them. In this usage, the word is synonymous with hypothesis.

In science, a theory is a mathematical or logical explanation, or a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation. It follows from this that for scientists "theory" and "fact" do not necessarily stand in opposition. For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theories commonly used to describe and explain this behavior are Newton's theory of universal gravitation, and general relativity.

This discrepancy causes quite the problem when a non-scientist talks to a scientist about theories.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Superior Mind wrote:

Yea it makes sense that a completely random explosion, not triggered by anything because nothing existed created the universe and everything in it.
The big bang theory and the theory of evolution are two separate things. The big bang theory actually has 0 evidence, it is completely theoretical, but then again so does they theory of god. Evolution has scientific backing, fossils, relation in embryo -fetus production to the evolution of feathers, similar bone structures in related animals from today and from 100 million years ago. The marine iguana is a blatant example of evolution; it gained webbed feet and other features do to its long term isolation on the Galapagos Islands. I want you to give me ONE reason why your god, ruler of the universe, is anymore plausible than Ancient Greek Mythology or the Hindu gods. And, holy shit, if you say "because it says so in the bible", then I strongly either chemical castration so you can't spread your fucked sperm or suicide.
There IS evidence for the big bang theory.  Go read about it.  If you understand it properly, this evidence does lead scientists to conclude that the universe was once in a very hot, very dense state.  I am not saying that it is correct, but there is empirical evidence to support that model of the universe.

Edit: I didn't see topal63's post...he said the same thing.

Last edited by SenorToenails (2007-07-26 14:40:43)

spacebandit72
Dead Meat
+121|6722|Michigan
Well, just because one thinks evolution is the answer on how we got here does not mean another thinks that. There is no real way to know without a shadow of doubt who is correct so, I think it's fare to teach the theory of evolution while throwing in the idea that other people believe something else.
Both evolution and religion are flawed by lack of proof.

Read the constitution and post here the part defining the seperation of church and state please.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

spacebandit72 wrote:

Well, just because one thinks evolution is the answer on how we got here does not mean another thinks that. There is no real way to know without a shadow of doubt who is correct so, I think it's fare to teach the theory of evolution while throwing in the idea that other people believe something else.

Read the constitution and post here the part defining the seperation of church and state please.
A wall between church and state is a description by Jefferson of the 1st ammendment. I don't think it appears in the text of the constitution, but is what it was intended for.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

spacebandit72 wrote:

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution is a part of the United States Bill of Rights. It prohibits the federal legislature from making laws that establish religion or prohibit free exercise of religion, laws that infringe the freedom of speech, infringe the freedom of the press, limit the right to assemble peaceably, or limit the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Engel v. Vitale (US Supreme Court, 1962):  The case involved a prayer written by the New York Board of Regents. Though the prayer was non-denominational, the Supreme Court deemed it necessary to strike it down. Justice Black wrote, "it is no part of the official business of government to compose official prayers for any group of American people to recite as part of a religious program carried out by the Government."

Wallace v. Jaffree (US Supreme Court, 1985): The Supreme Court struck down an Alabama law whereby students in public schools would observe daily a period of silence for the purpose of private prayer. The Court did not, however, find that the moment of silence was itself unconstitutional. Rather, it ruled that Alabama lawmakers had passed the statute solely to advance religion, thereby violating the secular purpose test.

Those are just a few of the laws and decisions in the US that preclude the government from furthering religion.

Last edited by SenorToenails (2007-07-26 15:02:47)

jetxburned
+8|6207
A few things I would like to say.

First off, for those supporters of creationism who want to be "fair & balanced", I suggest you check out the link in my sig in the same kind of spirit. I'm assuming you believe in a god or deity, of course anyone who puts creationism/ID (and they're actually not different) and science in the same sentence is prone to believing anything. Trust me, evolution has nothing compared with the evidence your own book has against itself.

Second, directing my attention toward the global flood idea, have you ever noticed that all the stories of this incredible flood come from the same region? Guess why. Its connected with their ideas during the time, such as the world is flat and the lack of knowledge about the world at the time.

I'll post more later on, I guess.
PureFodder
+225|6277

spacebandit72 wrote:

That's absolutely fine, just not in a science class. There is no current scientific theory of creation. The supposed theory of creation the religious extremists try to use only fails on the null hypothesis, fitting the available data, making varifiable predictions and disprovability and any plausability of a mechanism of action. Ie. pretty much every standard used to verify a scientific theory.

spacebandit72 wrote:

Evolution is backed by VAST amounts of proof, people just don't think it is. From the most obvious things like bacteria and viruses becoming resistant to drugs and changing which species they can infect. We can watch species evolve! Then there's the other things like Darwin accurately predicting fossils that weren't found till over a hundred years after he died (pretty damned impressive!). We can trace DNA and rNA between species as they evolve. We can see creatures having genetic mutations and altering in both large and tiny ways. We can trace the spread of different DNA strands through the human race as the world became globalised and people from different areas breed. The list of proof really does go on and on and on.

And the proof for creation is bugger all unless you're stupid enough to believe the grand canyon was formed in a week.

This is why we should teach kids evolution and as many of the intricate and wonderful details that acompany it and its proofs.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6692
Ahhh, science vs creationism. It's like watching Muhammad Ali beat up a 3rd grader.
Smitty5613
+46|6518|Middle of nowhere, California

Bertster7 wrote:

I honestly dont see the big deal here. Instead of forcing evolution on everyone like its a fact this guy is just teaching creationism.

Are you from Texas?

Evolution is a fact. Creationism is nonsensical fantasy - that has no place in the classroom.
i think you got that backwards.... lemme fix for u

Creationism is a fact. Evolution is nonsensical fantasy - that has no place in the classroom.

there we go....
Smitty5613

Bertster7 wrote:

spacebandit72 wrote:

A wall between church and state is a description by Jefferson of the 1st ammendment. I don't think it appears in the text of the constitution, but is what it was intended for.
wow, u need to read the constitiution... w8 ur from England..... the idea of seperation of church and state was written by him, but not in the constitution, i think it was in a letter to sum1....
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6692

Smitty5613 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

I honestly dont see the big deal here. Instead of forcing evolution on everyone like its a fact this guy is just teaching creationism.

Are you from Texas?

Evolution is a fact. Creationism is nonsensical fantasy - that has no place in the classroom.

Creationism is a fact. Evolution is nonsensical fantasy - that has no place in the classroom.

there we go....
Care to support that belief with evidence or facts? I could smother you in evolutionary science, but I suspect you have little besides the bible and your own warped beliefs to back that statement up.
Daysniper
+42|6626

Superior Mind wrote:

Also, nemisis, you big genius, dinosaurs were not around the 4000 or so years ago. They died out 65 MILLION years ago. I want you to disprove that a large meteor could not kill off most of the surface dwelling life on earth...
Ummm, well, actually, the proposed "dino killer", the several kilometer wide asteroid that impacted the Yucatan at Chixculub may or may not have instantly killed the dinosaurs... more probably not. It could very well have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but dinos were on a decline several million years before then, and many species survived after the impact for slightly less amounts of time. The Earth was undergoing intense volcanism during the period. So really, we don't exactly know what killed the dinosaurs. And the time "65 million years ago" is only based on the Iridium layer in the K-T boundary which of course coincides with the Chixculub incident. There is no definite date to when the extinction occured.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6771|Great Brown North
i thought this thread would be nothing but name calling retardation, but it's actualy not that bad
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

Smitty5613 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Are you from Texas?

there we go....
WHAT?

Creationism is a FACT? It is a FACT that God created the universe and all the creatures therein? ....I've heard it all now. You my friend are deluded.

Last edited by Braddock (2007-07-26 19:04:15)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina

Smitty5613 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Are you from Texas?

there we go....
I suppose this is what they teach people in "Middle of Nowhere, California."

C'mon, man, you're from Cali.  You're not supposed to be a creationist.  I'm from the Bible Belt.  I should be the one defending this nonsense...  lol
A12345
+77|6461
Some interesting discussions here. Pretty much i gather those that believe need no proof and those that do not believe can find no proof that will satisfy. I had a discussion with a creationist and ended it after i tried to use their own beliefs to aid my logic -

"you believe that only god is perfect right?"

"yes"

"and man is not perfect right?"

"yup"

"and since the bible is written by man and not god therefor it is not perfect and has flaws right?"

"uhhh... they were divinly inspired by god and were perfect when they wrote it"

"i give up..."

And sorry about your situation op, i dont see why people just dont go to bible class if they want to learn creationism.
Smitty5613
I knew i'd get alot if anti-christianity flaming from a videogame website... u kno that evolution is actually a religion too? one without a god...
Turquoise
O Canada

Smitty5613 wrote:

I knew i'd get alot if anti-christianity flaming from a videogame website... u kno that evolution is actually a religion too? one without a god...
I hope you realize that plenty of Christians aren't Creationist.

And evolution is a theory, not a religion.  It requires a certain amount of faith, but it is empirical faith, not spiritual faith.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

Turquoise wrote:

Smitty5613 wrote:

I hope you realize that plenty of Christians aren't Creationist.

And evolution is a theory, not a religion.  It requires a certain amount of faith, but it is empirical faith, not spiritual faith.
Exactly, don't try and make out that all Christians follow your beliefs.

Evolution credits those who choose to accept its teachings with a bit more respect and intelligence than creationism. The science of evolution (like all other sciences) attempts wherever possible to prove it's findings through tests and studies. Creationism just says "this is how it was, this is our theory, no real way of proving it, accept it'".
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Smitty5613 wrote:

u kno that evolution is actually a religion too? one without a god...
You sound like Kent Hovind.

That's not good.
Warstarz
+11|6423
Let's see here.

Believe that a random ball randomly exploded and just happened to make the universe or that a guy that looks like ZZ Top made us?

ZZ Top FTW

BTW, saying a ball came out of nowhere and exploded and happened to create what we see today is fact is just as stupid as saying God did it. No one knows what came before that ball or where it came from. Know why? Because science isn't fact. It's a theory. Just like religion is a faith. Neither one is perfectly right and I'm sure neither one is wrong.

*puts on flame retardant suit and curls up into fetal position*
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX
What do you expect of a state that mandates that all school principles learn spanish?

Oh, and Texas will not allow "immersion English" courses (a teaching method where nothing but english is spoken in order to help and force students to pick the language up faster) because they say "studies have shown" that immersion teaching does not work, but offer immersion Spansh courses to anyone who wants to learn Spanish.
Turquoise
O Canada

imortal wrote:

What do you expect of a state that mandates that all school principles learn spanish?

Oh, and Texas will not allow "immersion English" courses (a teaching method where nothing but english is spoken in order to help and force students to pick the language up faster) because they say "studies have shown" that immersion teaching does not work, but offer immersion Spansh courses to anyone who wants to learn Spanish.
So, in a roundabout way, they're implying that Hispanics are too dumb or lazy to handle immersion English...  lol
Turquoise
O Canada

Warstarz wrote:

Let's see here.

Believe that a random ball randomly exploded and just happened to make the universe or that a guy that looks like ZZ Top made us?

ZZ Top FTW

BTW, saying a ball came out of nowhere and exploded and happened to create what we see today is fact is just as stupid as saying God did it. No one knows what came before that ball or where it came from. Know why? Because science isn't fact. It's a theory. Just like religion is a faith. Neither one is perfectly right and I'm sure neither one is wrong.

When you can mathematically deduce the existence of God, please give me a call.
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX

Warstarz wrote:

I like the suit.  Color looks good on you.

Science is different from faith because unless a fact is proven in a repeatable experiment, it remains a theory.  Science gives us the very language to sort out levels of certainty.  Granted, there are some areas of science (current string theory) which borders philosophy precisly because it is currently unprovable.

Oh, and the last theory of the creation of this universe (big bang) may have been caused by two other 'universes' passing through the same dimensional area and making brief contact.  The result of the contact was the creation of our entire universe.

Yes, it is a theory.  Yes, it is currently unprovable.  No, it does not change your life our your outlook on said life.  So, no, I do not think it really matters.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard