• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • An Ickle problem may be bf2 related [Tech wizards wanted]
Retalliation[1337]
Robin Hood ---> "u got arrownd"
+51|6444|Belgium
Ok SO heres what happened: This morning I was playing bf2 all went well.
I go to a friends place had some beers a couple of laughs
Then when I come back my little brother claims i "broke bf2", I start it up and try to play but no just no, it would load up till 60% and then just ctd without error report.
Ok fine I thought it was a strange once in a lifetime bug ( bf2 related) so i restart the comp.
Ok I tried bf2 it worked I got on a wake server for a bout 15 minutes and bang ctd.
Then when I try to play again its stops at 60% again.
Ok fine a reinstall is needed w/e
So I started with C&C tiberium battle fine I skirmish a while start a campaign... after like 2-3 missions it gives me the unholy blue screen of death with the info "dumprep" and the comp forces a restart--->Me =
Ok I let it restart  w/e :could be the heat, it was kinda warm..
I come back from work (after 7 hours of comp being completely off and unplugged)
I try c&c, it works for 20minutes and the blue screen has its revenge....--->This is not what I want to come home to
Ok so my guess is the ram stick (one of 2 gb dual channel 400 mhz got fried as i bought it a week ago, havent played a lot since)
So what do you techies think?Ram/processor/mobo/voodoo???

Srsly Im desperate

Rest of specs:
Amd athlon (at 3.2 ghz dont really know the serial and stuff)
2 sticks of exact same brand and size (together 2 gigs)
7900Gt Sparkle(dont really know for sure...)
All the rest is pretty standard, I havent had any virusses lately, havent been hacked as far as I know, I made a Norton Ghost recovery image if it helps(?)
So please show me that the trust I put in bf2s is honest and will be rewarded with some good and reliable advice....
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6615|Camoran's Paradise
Don't know.  It could be any number of problems.  Graphics card, RAM, overheating.
Retalliation[1337]
+51|6444|Belgium
Ok so I just tried tampering a bit with the performance stuff and apparently my case didn't exceed 40 degrees Celsius at any given time...
[FHF]MattyZ
What the Deuce?
+29|6632|Washington
Ask your bro what he was doing when it broke.
Retalliation[1337]
+51|6444|Belgium
He said all he was doing was starting the game over and over and over and every time before the map loaded it ctded....
darthazeem
+7|6442
If you are getting a Blue Screen of Death you have a serious Windows issues.  See if you can write down the code that displays and Google it and you might be able to fix the issue.  More times than not a BSOD is usually attributed to device drives being incorrect or hardware issues.
Retalliation[1337]
+51|6444|Belgium
I have had all the drivers installed by a professional, the ram was put in by a professional(the same guy) (hired, hes very reliable)
And I cant write down the code because the bsod goes after 10 secs and it just says "critical error" "Dumprep" and stupid obvious shit and the registry should be fine since I installed all games the conventional way, no haxed versions, and all the drivers are up to date....
Me = even more desperate [-------------------------------------------------------] <---------- this big amount of despereation
darthazeem
+7|6442
Generally the BSOD error displays a code 0X0002356 or something like that and is important to finding the issue exactly (it tells microsoft where the fault module occured at).  Do whatever you can think of to get that code.  I work for a bank and just got done migrating a Win 2K3 SBS server to a new box and when I installed Windows on it whenever I would copy large data sets over it would BSOD and crash.  Come to find out that I had to update the firmware on the SCSI card and then update the device drivers again in Windows to get it to stop.  Microsoft was able to help me greatly with the issue being as I was able to give them the code and they tracked down the bugger somewhat fast.  BSOD is almost always device driver related or hardware related ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by darthazeem (2007-07-25 14:17:31)

[FHF]MattyZ
What the Deuce?
+29|6632|Washington
Use a digital camera to take the picture of the code.
spacebandit72
Dead Meat
+121|6700|Michigan
Personaly I would take that new ram out and try playing. If it works fine, it's a problem with the ram.
If it still dumps then it is likley a windows problem.
spacebandit72
Dead Meat
+121|6700|Michigan

spacebandit72 wrote:

Personaly I would take that new ram out and try playing. If it works fine, it's a problem with the ram.
If it still dumps then it is likley a windows problem.
My mobo claims I can run ddr400mhz but every time I change it from 333mhz to 400mhz I get the dump screen. So I just run it @ 333mhz with no problems.
It would suck if you could only run 1gb on your system... I don't think that is the case so, if it works with 1gb after you take the other ram out, put it back in... maybe it was not in correctly. Try switching them around.
After you have tried a few things w/ the ram it will help you narrow down what the problem may be.

haha I quoted myself. meant to edit not quote. LOL

Last edited by spacebandit72 (2007-07-25 14:34:34)

Retalliation[1337]
+51|6444|Belgium
Tnx for advice
/runs to try it out
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6548|Columbus, OH
I had a similar problem on three different occasions. First one was after I messed with my memory timing...my pc ran fine with tight timings but BF2 would C-to-DT. The 2nd occasion is all of the maps were corrupt...my A/V would scan the uncompressed maps during load and lock the game; I had to reinstall the game. Finally the BF2 1.4 patch was corrupt, but it only affected a couple maps.

Last edited by loubot (2007-07-26 05:26:59)

Retalliation[1337]
+51|6444|Belgium
Ok now i have even more doubts I've been playing C&c for a couple of hours and only after quite a long time it ctd's or bsod on me so is it possible that my ram is melted partially or something like it???
CrazeD
+368|6643|Maine
Right click "My Computer" then go to "Properties". Click the "Advanced" tab, then under "Recovery and Startup" click "Settings". Now, under "System Failure" uncheck the box that says "Automatically Restart". Click Apply and close out of the window.

Now, if you get a BSoD, it (should) stay there until you decide to restart it, so you can get the code.

The code you want is the STOP error.

Given that it takes a certain amount of time for the problems to occur, I have two theories. One, something is overheating. Though usually overheating will not cause a BSoD, and usually doesn't take 20 minutes to get that hot (it's usually faster). So, my second theory is this: your RAM is at fault, and the reason it takes that long to get the problem is because it isn't using that sector of the RAM yet. Once it hits the faulty sector, it fails and has an error.

That's just my guess. I would run Memtest 86+ for a good 6 hours or so.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • An Ickle problem may be bf2 related [Tech wizards wanted]

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard