theknuck
It's pronounced Knuck, like in Knuckle!!
+45|6611|balls
i just tried overclocking my amd opty 170 and after a few trys i cannot boot.  it doesn't beep, but once i select "start windows normally" i see a glimpse of a blue screen with white lettering and then it cycles through another start up.  same thing if i try "safe mode" "safe mode with networking" etc.  i've taken out the battery and left it out for a minute or two.  that's not the problem because i can get into bios and see that everything is reset.  how come i can't boot now?  don't tell me my mobo is fried.  i have power obviously.  should i take out all of my ram and gpu?  any help appreciated.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6764|Cambridge (UK)
make absolutely sure your BIOS settings are reset back to factory defaults (there should be an option in the BIOS menu called something like "load factory defaults") - if it still doesn't work, you've probably fried something.

What component were you over-clocking just before it stopped working?
theknuck
+45|6611|balls
my amd opty 170.  also messing with the ram settings.
XBurnerX
+5|6603|MS - US
Its probably not the MoBo considering you can get it to post.  Double check your BIOS and to see if it is all defaulted after you cleared the CMOS.  It sounds like its an OS problem, but it could be a number of things.  If you have another computer, try using a Win98 boot disk to take you to a command prompt and run "chkdsk" and/or "sfc /scannow"  Good luck, i hate when that kind of shit happens

lol im retarded

you obviously have another computer to surf the BF2s forums

I'll go sit in the corner now

Last edited by XBurnerX (2007-07-24 20:02:22)

theknuck
+45|6611|balls
i currently have my laptop in my office while i troubleshoot.  you think a reformat will help?
theknuck
+45|6611|balls
i'm trying to find the factory default settings.
{C4C}Phoenix
+8|6363
IT is your OS.  Reinstall it.  The flash with the white lettering is the BSOD.  You have it checked off to reboot on a blue screen so you will not get past this point.

You could try and use your disk to do a recovery of the critical files.  This way you could get into your PC and at least back up any files you need.

Another thing you could do is get a second Hard Drive and install windows on that.  You will have a fresh load.  Then slave your messed up drive and get your data that you need.  This is probably what I would do.
theknuck
+45|6611|balls
nah, i got all my needed stuff on my other hard drive.  i'll try a reformat. it's been about 7 months anyway!  i'll post back if that didn't do the trick.
XBurnerX
+5|6603|MS - US
well yea, if its an OS problem then a reformat would certainly fix it.  Try running the repair procedure before you reformat. (use the second repair function at the same screen as the delete partition screen, not the one right at the beginning)

One option would be to take your harddrive out of that machine and slave it on another working machine.  That way you can check the drive and copy files if need be.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6764|Cambridge (UK)

theknuck wrote:

my amd opty 170.  also messing with the ram settings.
hmm... you got a spare cpu?
theknuck
+45|6611|balls
Nope
Scorpion0x17
+691|6764|Cambridge (UK)

theknuck wrote:

Nope
Oh dear.

What about spare RAM?
theknuck
+45|6611|balls

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

theknuck wrote:

Nope
Oh dear.

What about spare RAM?
NEGATIVE
Scorpion0x17
+691|6764|Cambridge (UK)

theknuck wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

theknuck wrote:

Nope
Oh dear.

What about spare RAM?
NEGATIVE
Oh, and indeed, dear.

I'm afraid the likelyhood, from your description of the symptoms, is that you've damaged one, the other, or both of them.
weerdfoo1
Banned
+26|6163|California
If it goes through POST, it's not the mother board, POST checks that as well.
CodePhoeniX
+13|6213|USA

{C4C}Phoenix wrote:

IT is your OS.  Reinstall it.  The flash with the white lettering is the BSOD.  You have it checked off to reboot on a blue screen so you will not get past this point.

You could try and use your disk to do a recovery of the critical files.  This way you could get into your PC and at least back up any files you need.

Another thing you could do is get a second Hard Drive and install windows on that.  You will have a fresh load.  Then slave your messed up drive and get your data that you need.  This is probably what I would do.
BSOD in WinXP is Hardware realated.

Last edited by CodePhoeniX (2007-07-24 21:38:34)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6764|Cambridge (UK)

CodePhoeniX wrote:

{C4C}Phoenix wrote:

BSOD in WinXP is Hardware realated.
Not necessarily. BSODs can be caused by software. But given that it's not even getting into windows and he was overclocking when it started happening, in this case, you're probably correct. And, as I said earlier, he's probably damaged either his CPU, his RAM, or both.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-07-24 21:42:45)

theknuck
+45|6611|balls
Ha, thanks for all the help fellas.  even though i'm ok on the homefront, a simple reformat is all i needed.  if someone could tell me how oc'ing your computer has any affect on your os then i'm all ears.  either way i'm up an and running again.  i think i'll leave the oc'ing to the pros.  besides, i'll be upgrading soon.  i'll be leaving karma in a minute.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6566|NYC / Hamburg

unstable CPU = it calculates something wrong => the BS data written to HD => the BS data stopping you from booting

I have an opty 170 too. You should be able to push it into 2.5 GHz terrain @ stock V and close to 3.0 with some V increase depending on the chip
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
theknuck
+45|6611|balls

max wrote:

unstable CPU = it calculates something wrong => the BS data written to HD => the BS data stopping you from booting

I have an opty 170 too. You should be able to push it into 2.5 GHz terrain @ stock V and close to 3.0 with some V increase depending on the chip
it ran fine at 2.4.  then i tried 2.5 and bam, stopped dead in tracks.   i'm thinking my ram is holding me back.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6566|NYC / Hamburg

theknuck wrote:

max wrote:

it ran fine at 2.4.  then i tried 2.5 and bam, stopped dead in tracks.   i'm thinking my ram is holding me back.
drop the divider. Keep your ram running close to 200 MHz

Try this guide to help OCing.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6434|UK
no

taking the battery out is not enough,

you need to swith the jumper that is by the battery to the next pins

i.e its on pin 1 2

you switch it to 2 3

for about 5 seconds

then switch it back to 1 2 then put the battery back in

look in your mobo documentation

will tell you in there.
theknuck
+45|6611|balls

Zero!. wrote:

no

taking the battery out is not enough,

you need to swith the jumper that is by the battery to the next pins

i.e its on pin 1 2

you switch it to 2 3

for about 5 seconds

then switch it back to 1 2 then put the battery back in

look in your mobo documentation

will tell you in there.
well past that part man, and i did that to no avail.  the reformat did the trick.  got done reinstalling bf2 last night around 1:00am.  running fine now.
theknuck
+45|6611|balls

max wrote:

theknuck wrote:

max wrote:

drop the divider. Keep your ram running close to 200 MHz

Try this guide to help OCing.
what is your divider at and what kind of ram do you have and what are your settings?
darthazeem
+7|6471
It sounds like when you boot into windows your getting the Blue Screen of Death which means you have either driver issues or bad hardware.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard