kingofkolt
+17|6249|Boston, MA, USA
Since I've started visiting BF2S.com, I've noticed that this site's forums has one of the most conservative populations of any online community I've ever visited. This was a bit of a surprise to me since I live in Boston and I'm used to liberalism (despite the fact that some of my immediate and especially extended family is extremely conservative). I'm also usually involved in online "communities" (i.e., forums) which contain people with mostly liberal viewpoints. I say all that to say, I would like to ask the people here (liberals, conservatives, and everyone in between) what their thoughts are on environmentalism, especially in relation to the world's rising concerns about global warming. I'm especially curious about about why it seems that conservatives are traditionally opposed to the idea that global warming is in fact real and happening right now.

This question was inspired by the fact that I just was looking at another thread on here called "What do you drive?". The first post had a picture of a gas-guzzling SUV (and claimed it did 16MPG). The post said something to the effect that Americans love "BIG" vehicles. It may be worth mentioning that the poster's title (the words under a poster's name) read "Redneck". So it got me thinking, do conservatives mock the idea that these kind of vehicles (among a million other factors) could actually result in a speedier demise of the human race? For that matter, do they believe that IS the case, but simply do not care? Do any of you (liberals or conservatives) feel that you have a responsibility to the environment to do what is within your power to not exploit natural resources more than necessary? I don't mean becoming a hippie and/or sitting in trees that are under threat of being cut down. I'm more referring to, say, buying gas-efficient vehicles, recycling, using public transportation if/when available, etc.

Just to explain where I'm coming from: I never thought I could ever be what some would dub an environmentalist. I always inwardly mocked "tree huggers," believing stereotypes of people in tae-dye t-shirts and long hair smoking weed and protesting that people were destroying their world. But then I turned 12 (just kidding). Seriously though, as I've grown older I've heard more and more about the observations scientists are making about the effect factories, cars, and other such pollution-producing centers have on the ozone layer and the earth's health in general. There are very few voices lending any credibility to the idea that these observations are wrong or flawed, and there are far more voices that tend to agree with the belief that our planet is, in fact, in some level of danger (what level tends to vary from voice to voice). There are also some who say that the globe's observable warming is simply part of a huge cycle the earth goes through that may last several hundred (or thousand) years. (In my opinion, though, one cycle could mean the end of a species, and in this case the unfortunate species could very well be the human one.)

So here's the way I see it now: Even if the situation is being exaggerated somewhat, or even if some people are trying to exploit fear of doom for personal gain, there is still plenty of reason to make some effort to reduce the "footprint" I leave on the environment through my lifestyle. Even if we are in a huge cycle of the earth, and even if that cycle will inevitably result in the end of the human race, couldn't we at least make an attempt to extend our cycle a bit longer by being responsible? I really don't care if my being "manipulated" by scientists gives them an ego trip as long as my being concerned about the environment does the world good. My feeling is, you live for about 70 years and then your time on earth is done. So during those 70 years, will your overall effect on the earth be positive or negative? Will you exploit animals and nature for your personal pleasure (and maybe for the sake of being "manly," as seems to be the motivation of some), or will you have done your part to reduce the harm done to the earth? I don't think any one person can really change the world, in terms of getting EVERYONE all at once to comply and just BE environmentally friendly; instead, the only way to turn around the pollution problems we're having (if they are indeed real) is for people to take responsibility on an individual-by-individual basis and adjust their own lifestyle as necessary. So for example, if I'm ever rich enough to be able to afford this luxury, you still won't see me wearing a coat made of real fur, or driving a super-sized SUV (unless it is absolutely necessary for the sake of carpooling, in which case it may actually be more fuel-efficient than several people driving different cars), or living in luxury but paying for "environmental credits" like Al Gore so hypocritically does. Even if there isn't much truth to the idea that the earth is facing impending doom and destruction, I DO think that it is pretty much undeniable that harm is being done to the planet when massive forests are being cut down for paper, or unrecyclable products like Styrofoam cups and plates are being produced and discarded at such a fast pace. All this luxury and waste seems unnecessary and foolish.

OK, this post was really long and probably kind of disjointed. (I'm not about to read through everything I just wrote myself and edit it all, so if you did take the time to read it all... WORD.) But I hope I got my thoughts across. And I'd like to HEAR (read) thoughts from all sides also. So yeah, what are your thoughts about the current rising concerns throughout the world about global warming, how are YOU personally responding to it (i.e., adjusting -- or not adjusting -- your lifestyle as you see fit), how would you like to see yourself and others respond to these concerns, etc.?

- kingofkolt

Last edited by kingofkolt (2007-07-24 19:24:38)

S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6472|Chicago, IL
First off, don't expect too many peace lovers on a site devoted to a game about killing as many people as possible as quickly as possible...

As for environmentalism, the Earth has had hundreds of dramatic temperature changes in the past, and will continue to in the future.  It is naieve of us to think that we know exactly how the Earth's temperature cycles, and downright conceited to believe that our current climate is the optimal condition for life on earth.

Keep in mind that 99% of all species to have existed are now extinct, and 99.9% of those went extinct millenia before the first SUV...

Global Warming is real, but life has survived Ice ages, heat waves, and devastating meteor impacts, I think I, and most species on earth can survive a few more degrees on the thermometer, and those that cannot are simply the next victims of Darwinism.

Last edited by S.Lythberg (2007-07-24 19:36:40)

weerdfoo1
Banned
+26|6190|California
I'm one of the liberals on this site, and I say that global warming is real and that the environment is being polluted excessively.
I also believe that those who say that temperature change is just another factor in having to be one of the fittest to survive is wrong. *I know many people will hate me for this*
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6594|Mountains of NC

thats alot to read ---- u should add pics like me
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6792|Cambridge (UK)
I'm a peace loving liberal, I think global warming is probably caused by man (but the jury is still out, imo (because in science the jury is always out)) and I agree with weerdfoo1 and that the idea that "temperature change is just another factor in survival of the fittest" is just utter bollox.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6431|North Carolina
Good post, kingofkolt.

I agree in principle, but I'm starting to believe that global warming could become a very effective form of population control.  I'm not really that fond of our species, and I wonder if our extinction is really such a bad thing -- at least when you look at how we effect the other living things on this planet.

I almost feel like humanity is a virus and global warming is the cure....
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6792|UK
What you will find on this site is a lot of short sighted selfish people who will say, meh who gives a shit, leave it to the children, you will note NONE of them are parents.

End of arguement, i win thank you.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6568|Texas - Bigger than France
I think it doesn't matter what causes it, or if it's happening.  It's a waste for no reason.  I like reason.

kingofkolt wrote:

Since I've started visiting BF2S.com, I've noticed that this site's forums has one of the most conservative populations of any online community I've ever visited.
And about this quote - interesting.  My thought on this is more than 76.34% of the topics (not an exact figure) are liberal leaning.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6792|Cambridge (UK)

Vilham wrote:

What you will find on this site is a lot of short sighted selfish people who will say, meh who gives a shit, leave it to the children, you will note NONE of them are parents.

I think you're going to find you're wrong on the "NONE of them are parents" point...

(BTW, I'm not a parent, but I still believe it is our responsibilty to clean up the mess that we have made of the planet.)
Soldier-Of-Wasteland
Mephistopheles
+40|6682|Land of the Very Cold
I am sure we didn't help on the climate change though. I mean we have to accept the fact that we (the world) are polluting alot compare to say 200 years ago. So why not just move towards cleaner technologies and cleaner industries and so on so we can live somewhere, well, cleaner? If it does nothing about climate change at least we'll be breathing better. It's as simple as that. And recycling and using alternatives to plastic bag is very easy.

I started to use fiber bags a few weeks ago, I think I saved (and didn't throw away) about 50 plastic bags already. And me and my gf recycles alot since the start of the year, so there is "that much more" garbage that didn't go to openair, overcapacitated landfills.

Last edited by Soldier-Of-Wasteland (2007-07-24 19:59:28)

Turquoise
O Canada
Well, Americans tend to be more conservative on this forum than most I've been on, but most European posters here are liberal by comparison.

America just tends to be a conservative country among the First World.  The only thing we're very liberal about compared to Europe is immigration.
Dan Havok
+14|6454
I'm pretty sure global warming is real.  But whether it is or it isn't it still doesn't hurt to try to be a little more eco friendly.  Some changes I've made are 1. i've started driving speed limits and conserving a little bit of fuel. 2. I'm a housekeeper at a hospital during the summer and i've actually started to put the recyclables in the recycling bin instead of throwing it all with the trash. 3. I bike more. 4. im to poor to afford the real enviroment killing cars and cloths
Dan Havok
+14|6454

Turquoise wrote:

I almost feel like humanity is a virus and global warming is the cure....
no, this is The Cure

Last edited by Dan Havok (2007-07-24 20:03:13)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6568|Texas - Bigger than France

Turquoise wrote:

Well, Americans tend to be more conservative on this forum than most I've been on, but most European posters here are liberal by comparison.

America just tends to be a conservative country among the First World.  The only thing we're very liberal about compared to Europe is immigration.
Maybe my opinion is based on being on mostly in the morning (ie. evening in Europe)...
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6792|UK

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

I think you're going to find you're wrong on the "NONE of them are parents" point...

(BTW, I'm not a parent, but I still believe it is our responsibilty to clean up the mess that we have made of the planet.)
By parents i mean real parents. The ones that look after their children... ie not chav parents.
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6544|USA
i think conservatives are more willing to acknowledge it exists now, but they don't believe people are solely responsible for it. 

also, it has been mocked by conservatives due to clowns like al gore parading around giving out his 2 cents
Scorpion0x17
+691|6792|Cambridge (UK)

Vilham wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

By parents i mean real parents. The ones that look after their children... ie not chav parents.
Ah, in that case, you're probably right.
Turquoise
O Canada

Pug wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Maybe my opinion is based on being on mostly in the morning (ie. evening in Europe)...
True, I get here mostly in the evening (very early morning in Europe).
PureFodder
+225|6311

S.Lythberg wrote:

First off, don't expect too many peace lovers on a site devoted to a game about killing as many people as possible as quickly as possible...

As for environmentalism, the Earth has had hundreds of dramatic temperature changes in the past, and will continue to in the future.  It is naieve of us to think that we know exactly how the Earth's temperature cycles, and downright conceited to believe that our current climate is the optimal condition for life on earth.

Keep in mind that 99% of all species to have existed are now extinct, and 99.9% of those went extinct millenia before the first SUV...

Global Warming is real, but life has survived Ice ages, heat waves, and devastating meteor impacts, I think I, and most species on earth can survive a few more degrees on the thermometer, and those that cannot are simply the next victims of Darwinism.
If natural cycles can kill off 99% of all species, just think what natural cycles plus human contributions can achieve.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard