FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6516|so randum
Ok, i just got given two 512mb sticks of RAM, by a mate who got them free from work.

Ermm...What do i do now?

They are: 2x 512mb PC2-4300 DDR2 D1mm sticky things.

Help?

Last edited by fatherted13 (2007-07-24 18:05:27)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Luigi
Sniper Whore
+97|6195|Wisconsin
Um take ur old memory out or if you have more slots pop them in and remember better ram goes in the first slot
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6554|Long Island, New York
Stick 'em in. (lol double entandra (sp?))

Open up your case, pull back the clips on the RAM slots, and slide them in. Make sure they're in the right way, don't force 'em.

Make sure you unplug your PC too. No power can be running through.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6344

Well if they fit in your memory slots stick em in! Although if you don't have DDR2 then u cant. I think.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6543|Belgium

switch power off
open the case (non magnetic tools)
make sure you are discharged too
Look for the old ram, push the two ends thingies that hold it in place
Remove old ram
insert new ones
push the devices back in place.
close case
connect cables again and switch it on

(only if this ram is better than those in your system already).
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6516|so randum
How do i tell what "type" of ram i already have? I assume they have to be the same, ie DDR2
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6661|Camoran's Paradise
Start/Control Panel/System
Luigi
Sniper Whore
+97|6195|Wisconsin

fatherted13 wrote:

How do i tell what "type" of ram i already have? I assume they have to be the same, ie DDR2
Hmm.. if you read your manual, u could tell what kind of RAM ur computer supports...
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6782|UK
I dont think the pins match if it isnt the same. Therefore it wont go in. Thats atleast what i think. Not certain.
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6543|Belgium

indeed. Get one stick out of your computer, compare the holes/pins with the new ones, if they are the same it's safe to replace the ram as it will fit.
Luigi
Sniper Whore
+97|6195|Wisconsin

Vilham wrote:

I dont think the pins match if it isnt the same. Therefore it wont go in. Thats atleast what i think. Not certain.
Yup im pretty sure hes right
WinterWayfarer
Combat Medic
+21|6268|Spacetime
You are lucky.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6516|so randum
Right, looked in the case, and i had two slots for ram. Both with the original factory 512 sticks in. So i swapped them out, for the new ones. Any reason why i shouldn't have?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
CodePhoeniX
+13|6231|USA

De_Jappe wrote:

open the case (non magnetic tools)
A magnetic screwdriver will in no way damage your computer unless you jab it right through your MoBo/other item.

There is just not enough magnetism to do anything, it wuldnt even corrupt a floppy disk, unless, again you stab it.

fatherted13 wrote:

Right, looked in the case, and i had two slots for ram. Both with the original factory 512 sticks in. So i swapped them out, for the new ones. Any reason why i shouldn't have?
If your current RAM is worse that what you originally had

Last edited by CodePhoeniX (2007-07-24 18:38:48)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6516|so randum

CodePhoeniX wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

If your current RAM is worse that what you originally had
Well, the on-board totalled 1gb, and the new stuff totals 1gb, so the same amount of DDR2 ram. Any other reason the ram could be worse/better?

O and btw, is their any way of getting more slots for the ram, other than buying a new mobo?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
jsnipy
+3,276|6539|...

Do you have more than 2 slots?

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-07-24 18:43:31)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6516|so randum

jsnipy wrote:

Do you have more than 2 slots?
Negative.Well, there were only two slots side by side that i could see, unless they're hiding somewhere
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
nonexistentusmc
+26|6461|Queens, NYC
Nope, can't add slots into the board. Need new mo-board.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6516|so randum
Bummer. Any advantage to havin these new ones in at all, ie, they're newer, will they be more efficient?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
CodePhoeniX
+13|6231|USA

fatherted13 wrote:

Bummer. Any advantage to havin these new ones in at all, ie, they're newer, will they be more efficient?
The new ones could be slower, could be faster, could use a lil more enegery, a lil less

potentially they'll last longer, i guess.

Last edited by CodePhoeniX (2007-07-24 18:59:55)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6516|so randum

CodePhoeniX wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

The new ones could be slower, could be faster, could use a lil more enegery, a lil less

meh. sux2bme. I'll give them a weeks trial, see if there's any noticiable increase in speed. If not, ill swap em back out. i'm lookin at gettin 2x 1gb cards anyway, so this is just a minor annoyance.

Cheers for the help guys!
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
nonexistentusmc
+26|6461|Queens, NYC
The only advantage is selling them to people who have less RAM than you do. Either way, you can make profit, no matter how much you sell, since you got them for free. Good luck! ;D
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?
+98|6302|FIYAH FIYAH FIYAAAAAAH

fatherted13 wrote:

CodePhoeniX wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

meh. sux2bme. I'll give them a weeks trial, see if there's any noticiable increase in speed. If not, ill swap em back out. i'm lookin at gettin 2x 1gb cards anyway, so this is just a minor annoyance.

Cheers for the help guys!
OOH OOH

Give them... to me!
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6344

fatherted13 wrote:

Listen, the idea behind DDR2 is they run twice as fast as DDR. Your ram should say DDR2-400 or (500,800 or so) this number reflects the Mhz speed at which they transfer data. Although keep in mind the bottleneck of this process is your CPU. If your CPU's front side bus rate is only 400 or less, then DDR2 ram is useless as it will only be as fast as your CPU speed. If your CPU is anything over 400 then the DDR2 will be useful.

A quicker way to check your system is RIGHT CLICKING ON MY COMPUTER AND CLICK PROPERTIES. This will bring up the System Properties for your computer.

If you want a BETTER way to show all the information you should open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. To do this, click Start-> Run -> type in dxdiag then press enter. Up comes the DirectX Diag Tool. WIth this you have system informaiton, motherboard type, ram info, processor info, you can check your display info (Graphics Card etc) and your sound along with other features.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6455|King Of The Islands

533 (PC-4300) is pretty slow now. You could have faster RAM already.

Do you know the PC-rating of your existing RAM? Cas latency? Brand? Even reading out a chip's number could probably help.

Edit: http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-140.zip

Last edited by Cheez (2007-07-24 19:22:48)

My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard