PureFodder
+225|6295
The obvious problem with this law would be that any racist idiot could simply accuse every single person s/he ever saw at an airport, bus station or train station who happened to be A Muslim/Jew/black/hispanic/a gay couple etc. of being a terrorist in the full knowledge that there's absolutely no repurcussins for them doing it and the police would have no choice but to follow up every single accusation despite how stupid they may be.

In fact. legally a single American Islamic 'terrorist' could walk into an airport and just go around accusing everyone on every flight of being a terrorist, essentially shutting the place down then walk off home and do it again tomorrow. No laws broken, nothing to stop him.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

PureFodder wrote:

The obvious problem with this law would be that any racist idiot could simply accuse every single person s/he ever saw at an airport, bus station or train station who happened to be A Muslim/Jew/black/hispanic/a gay couple etc. of being a terrorist in the full knowledge that there's absolutely no repurcussins for them doing it and the police would have no choice but to follow up every single accusation despite how stupid they may be.

In fact. legally a single American Islamic 'terrorist' could walk into an airport and just go around accusing everyone on every flight of being a terrorist, essentially shutting the place down then walk off home and do it again tomorrow. No laws broken, nothing to stop him.
Exactly.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

However, in todays world, isn't it kinda dumb to let suspicious behaivior go unchecked? I mean come on really.
There's a big difference between doing something like reporting something suspicious like unattended baggage and some would be hero tackling an Arab who was tying his shoelaces, because he thought he was going to set off a shoe bomb.

That would be improper handling of the situation and the guy who got tackled would have every right to press charges.

What there should be are very clear guidelines on how to properly deal with such a situation and if those guidelines are properly followed, then the accusers should be legally protected.
Iam not going to go back and re-read the article but I don't seem to remember the extreme of tackling a person tieing his shoes and beating the ever living shit outta him as being covered. It said REPORT suspicious behavior. Now, if a group of passengers got together and did the same thing, chances are their fears might have been warranted since it is highly unlikely that everyone on board would be paranoid and attend regular anti-Muslim rallies. In such an extreme case I think a court would need to settle that one.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Exactly.
Well to answer both of you:

I think there are laws on the books coving filing a faulse police report, and slander.

Really, do you have any rational argument at all to make, or can you only try scenerios that are  completely over the top?
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6383|Kyiv, Ukraine

lowing wrote:

Really, do you have any rational argument at all to make, or can you only try scenerios that are completely over the top?
Dude, it waters down your point when you start to agree with us
PureFodder
+225|6295

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Exactly.
Well to answer both of you:

I think there are laws on the books coving filing a faulse police report, and slander.

Really, do you have any rational argument at all to make, or can you only try scenerios that are  completely over the top?
This law would grant immunity from convictions of filing false police reports and slander. That's the entire point of it and the reason the democrats are rightfully complaining about it. The over the top scenario isn't that over the top, it's a fairly decent idea for them, simply send a few people to each major airport and keep accusing people of being a terrorist. Either you stop the cops from taking them all seriously therefore making hijacking a plane easier, or you investigate each one properly, causing delays to large numbers of flights. Probably the best person to ask about this would be USMarine. I'm guessing this would cause delays costing the US airlines vast amounts of money as any extra time a plane is on the ground is time it isn't making money. It could quite possibly put some smaller airlines out of business if done properly. If I can think of it, sure as hell someone else can.

Last edited by PureFodder (2007-07-24 08:50:28)

jonsimon
+224|6504
Lowing advocates the victimization of wrongly accused innocents over the protection of our freedoms.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6658

Perhaps the actual problem is people are just too sue-happy in the US? Of course, it's only liberals that are sue-happy...
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA
I knew you liberals didn't feel the need to lift a finger and try to defend our country against Islamic extremism, but I really didn't believe that you would be so pathetic as to not take prudent action and report suspicious behavior in and around an airport/airplane for fear of hurting someones feelings or putting them out.

You guys scream the solution to this problem is intel, well boys and girls, intel is exactly what you are providing when you run into suspiciously behaving characters that look out of place for their surroundings, or are acting out of place for their surroundings and you bring it to the attention of the authorities.

Liberals are truely Al Queda's greatest ally in the US. unbelievable

I am also going to call any who would not be concerned in such situations a liar. That, and/or an idiot.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

lowing wrote:

I am also going to call any who would not be concerned in such situations a liar. That, and/or an idiot.
No, paranoid idiots are Al Qaedas greatest ally in the US. They spread fear and panic. That is, if not the primary goal, one of the key goals of terrorism.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6528|Πάϊ

jonsimon wrote:

Lowing advocates the victimization of wrongly accused innocents over the protection of our freedoms.
Pretty much yeah
ƒ³
PureFodder
+225|6295

lowing wrote:

I knew you liberals didn't feel the need to lift a finger and try to defend our country against Islamic extremism, but I really didn't believe that you would be so pathetic as to not take prudent action and report suspicious behavior in and around an airport/airplane for fear of hurting someones feelings or putting them out.

You guys scream the solution to this problem is intel, well boys and girls, intel is exactly what you are providing when you run into suspiciously behaving characters that look out of place for their surroundings, or are acting out of place for their surroundings and you bring it to the attention of the authorities.

Have you read and understood the reasons why this is a stupid idea. This will do the following:
a) allow racist idiots to victimize people based on their race, skin colour etc. with an absolute 100% protection from any prosecution.
b) it allows anyone who feels like it to go down to an airport and cost an airline large amounts of money by keeping their planes grounded with a 100% guarantee that they cannot get into any trouble for it.
c) It allows terrorists to legally waste police time investigating phony terror alerts without any risk to themselves, which will therefore divert the security efforts away from the actual hijacking/bombing that they are committing.

This wouldn't increase security at all, it would in fact hinder security forces.

If people have a genuine case to be worried about the activities of someone at an airport they won't get into trouble anyway.

Did I mention this is a stupid idea?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

No, paranoid idiots are Al Qaedas greatest ally in the US. They spread fear and panic. That is, if not the primary goal, one of the key goals of terrorism.
Gotta tell ya, I don't see any fear or panic, I see efforts being made to try and make sure this doesn't happen again. I also see the democrats undermining ever inch of that effort in order to regain the white house. Only a fool would stand by and let shit happen to them so they can say they didn't "fear it"
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

oug wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

Pretty much yeah
So rediculous I will not even comment.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Gotta tell ya, I don't see any fear or panic, I see efforts being made to try and make sure this doesn't happen again. I also see the democrats undermining ever inch of that effort in order to regain the white house. Only a fool would stand by and let shit happen to them so they can say they didn't "fear it"
Vigilence and paranoia are two very different things.

In any case, what are the Democrats doing to undermine the efforts to stop things like this happening again?
Any steps taken that undermine existing civil liberties are playing exactly into the terrorists hands.

The general public should, on the whole, ignore terrorism. It's all just totally blown up out of all proportion by the media. That isn't to say you shouldn't notify the authorities if you have a legitimate concern - but it is just as well to be able to prosecute those who make stupid accusations, for whatever reason, that impede innocent people going about their day to day business.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

PureFodder wrote:

lowing wrote:

Liberals are truly Al Queda's greatest ally in the US. unbelievable

Have you read and understood the reasons why this is a stupid idea. This will do the following:
a) allow racist idiots to victimize people based on their race, skin colour etc. with an absolute 100% protection from any prosecution.
b) it allows anyone who feels like it to go down to an airport and cost an airline large amounts of money by keeping their planes grounded with a 100% guarantee that they cannot get into any trouble for it.
c) It allows terrorists to legally waste police time investigating phony terror alerts without any risk to themselves, which will therefore divert the security efforts away from the actual hijacking/bombing that they are committing.

This wouldn't increase security at all, it would in fact hinder security forces.

If people have a genuine case to be worried about the activities of someone at an airport they won't get into trouble anyway.

Did I mention this is a stupid idea?
It has been a few posts since you guys played the racism card. Highly predicable though I called this back on page 2 I think. Standard textbook maneuver.
anyway based on your logic there is no reason to report anything out of the ordinary to the authorities. Tell ya what, do you hope your neighbor DOES NOT call the cops on someone they see breaking into your house? I hope so, because for your argument to fly, the neighbor should not report what he sees because the guy might be someone you gave permission to break in your home and get you your keys, and not actually a burglar.

Better not call the cops on someone you see sneaking around your kids school either, he might be a predator sure but hey, he could still be just a friendly guy waiting for their kid to get out of school.

If you see a woman getting smacked around and violently attacked, best to let it go because they may just be into S and M and not actually being assaulted about to become a rape victim.

You are absolutely correct. DO NOT get involved. Spare someone hurt feelings at all costs.

Your logic absolutely boggles the mind.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA
By the way, there are good Samaritan laws on the books that prevent a person from getting sued if they try and help another and that person still dies. I suppose based on your logic a family of a guy who choked to death on a ham bone should be able to sue the guy that tried and failed to deliver the Heimlich maneuver. Brilliant
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

In any case, what are the Democrats doing to undermine the efforts to stop things like this happening again?
Any steps taken that undermine existing civil liberties are playing exactly into the terrorists hands.

The general public should, on the whole, ignore terrorism. It's all just totally blown up out of all proportion by the media. That isn't to say you shouldn't notify the authorities if you have a legitimate concern - but it is just as well to be able to prosecute those who make stupid accusations, for whatever reason, that impede innocent people going about their day to day business.
ignore terrorism huh?, Ok, so you maintain if you and your family are at the gate about to get on a plane and you see someone acting wierd, nervous, or just totally against normal interaction and is about to get on the same plane, you will ignore it and get on the plane. You sir are a liar.

Also, for clarification. If you happen to report what you saw to the authorities, and he was kept off the plane, investigated, and found to be a guy who just forgot to take his pills, you feel he has the right to sue you for disrupting his life. Again, you are a liar.
PureFodder
+225|6295

lowing wrote:

By the way, there are good Samaritan laws on the books that prevent a person from getting sued if they try and help another and that person still dies. I suppose based on your logic a family of a guy who choked to death on a ham bone should be able to sue the guy that tried and failed to deliver the Heimlich maneuver. Brilliant
In such a case the good samaritan would win the case and everything's just fine. As would people who genuinely try to report suspicious behaviour.

So you agree with a law that gives legal protection to anyone who wants to waste police time and therefore put people at risk from real terrorist threats? Does that sound like something worth supporting?

You happy to actively support terrorism and try to get you fellow countrymen killed? Damn these Rebublicans they truely are the greatest allies of Islamic terrorists. (the preceeding line was brought to you by Liberals that are tired of putting up with ignorant, baseless acusations from conservatives about how they threated the safety of everyone)
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

ignore terrorism huh?, Ok, so you maintain if you and your family are at the gate about to get on a plane and you see someone acting wierd, nervous, or just totally against normal interaction and is about to get on the same plane, you will ignore it and get on the plane. You sir are a liar.

Also, for clarification. If you happen to report what you saw to the authorities, and he was kept off the plane, investigated, and found to be a guy who just forgot to take his pills, you feel he has the right to sue you for disrupting his life. Again, you are a liar.
*sigh*

I do ignore terrorism - I live in London, which has been a top terrorist target for my entire life. I remember standing outside Victoria station once and some guy (who happened to be American) was panicing running around because he'd spotted some luggage that was unattended. I had been standing next to this luggage for the past 15 minutes and really couldn't care less about it. He on the other hand was getting into quite a state and couldn't understand my complete lack of interest. He told the police, which caused all sorts of kerfuffle - ending up in the controlled explosion of some poor persons luggage - with the knock on effect of them closing the station for a couple of hours, which greatly inconvenienced me. These paranoid idiots ruining me travel arrangements. That annoyed me and was a waste of police time and resources and caused thousands of people to be delayed - yet that was a legitimate report which no one could possibly press charges for.

If I did see something I deemed necessary to report, I would want to be certain that I had good grounds for reporting them - if you have good grounds for reporting something out of the ordinary, then there would be no legal case against you were anyone to press charges at a later date. All that having the possibility of charges being brought against accusers does is reduce to number of frivolous accusations wasting police time and the time of those they accuse. Legitimate reports - even if they turn out to be something quite innocent, will never create a case for prosecution. It is only stupid accusations that leave any room for anyone to press charges - we could do with less stupid accusations, which is why being able to press charges for things like this is important.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

PureFodder wrote:

lowing wrote:

In such a case the good samaritan would win the case and everything's just fine. As would people who genuinely try to report suspicious behaviour.

So you agree with a law that gives legal protection to anyone who wants to waste police time and therefore put people at risk from real terrorist threats? Does that sound like something worth supporting?

You happy to actively support terrorism and try to get you fellow countrymen killed? Damn these Rebublicans they truely are the greatest allies of Islamic terrorists. (the preceeding line was brought to you by Liberals that are tired of putting up with ignorant, baseless acusations from conservatives about how they threated the safety of everyone)
Ahhhhhhh I see, it is a waste of time and resources to check out reported strange activity but it is perfectly fine to hit a good smaritan with a frivolous lawsuit, who will probably win anyway. Yeah, I do not see any wasted time, money, effort ,not to mention the backlog on the system. Beautiful logic ya runnin with PureFodder. You do realize there is no consistancy in your argument don't ya?

I guess this is where we differ, I do not think it is a waste of time to report obviously strange behavior, this includes at the damn airport airplane, elementary schools my nieghbors house etc........ ya know the examples you are going to ignore.

As for your 3rd paragraph it was so rediculous I forgot to tell you I was gunna ignore it.

Last edited by lowing (2007-07-24 13:19:05)

Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6710

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

I believe he was implying that the public at large should not be overly concerned with terrorism, since, as a rule, it is far more likely that you will get yourself killed in any number of stupid ways, or be killed by one of your fellow citizens or a rabid animal even, than it is for you to be killed by a terrorist. As such, giving such a large amount of your attention and worry to a problem that is statistically insignificant is illogical, and, I might add, exactly what terrorists are trying to accomplish when they blow things up. As Gunslinger pointed out, correctly, in another thread, when the Allies bombed the crap out of Germany and Japan in World War 2, the amount of damage done to the morale of the people was arguably far more significant than the actual logistical damage that was done. The same applies to terrorism, in general; the amount of damage done by any one attack pales in comparison to the mental impact it has on the general population, because the general population sees the attack on the news and spends the next 6 years wringing their hands in concern.

He was not, though I am merely inferring his meaning from what he wrote and cannot actually speak for him, implying that you shouldn't contact the police if you see a beat up van filled with large drums of chemicals with all sorts of wiring and a shifty eyed turban wearing guy driving it towards the federal building. I suspect that even you are aware of this, but chose to infer the meaning that would make Bert look like a jackass, which, I might add, doesn't help the spirit of debate much.

In addition, to my knowledge, in the few (very few, considering there are thousands of commercial flights in the United States every day, and only a few have had a problem with terrorists since 9/11. I am only including the U.S here, since that is the only area this discussion involves) incidents in which there has actually been a terrorist threat, the passengers involved did report and or detain the people involved, and weren't afraid to do so because they might get sued. Take, for instance, the infamous 'shoe bomber'. As you say, when it comes down to 'the person sitting next to me might have a bomb' and 'I might get sued for doing something about it', everyone sane will do something about it and damn the legal consequences. Again, to my knowledge, there haven't been any incidents in which people have reported someone for suspicious behavior, been wrong, and were then subsequently sued. In fact, and I admit I could be wrong, as I could not find the original article, I seem to recall an incident in which some passengers thought a man was acting suspiciously and detained him themselves, only to later find out that he was having a panic attack or something similar (if anyone has a citation for this, it would be appreciated). I don't believe any of them were sued for their actions.

In short, I don't see that people getting sued and or prosecuted for reporting suspicious activity is a humongous problem. I don't see that it's a problem at all, unless it's merely going unreported, and, as such, there is little need to put into law legislation that would protect people from something that doesn't occur. There is even less reason to get upset and start calling everyone who disagrees with you a de facto terrorist enabler, but, then, that is your prerogative.

Or, to sum that all up, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

*sigh*

I do ignore terrorism - I live in London, which has been a top terrorist target for my entire life. I remember standing outside Victoria station once and some guy (who happened to be American) was panicing running around because he'd spotted some luggage that was unattended. I had been standing next to this luggage for the past 15 minutes and really couldn't care less about it. He on the other hand was getting into quite a state and couldn't understand my complete lack of interest. He told the police, which caused all sorts of kerfuffle - ending up in the controlled explosion of some poor persons luggage - with the knock on effect of them closing the station for a couple of hours, which greatly inconvenienced me. These paranoid idiots ruining me travel arrangements. That annoyed me and was a waste of police time and resources and caused thousands of people to be delayed - yet that was a legitimate report which no one could possibly press charges for.

If I did see something I deemed necessary to report, I would want to be certain that I had good grounds for reporting them - if you have good grounds for reporting something out of the ordinary, then there would be no legal case against you were anyone to press charges at a later date. All that having the possibility of charges being brought against accusers does is reduce to number of frivolous accusations wasting police time and the time of those they accuse. Legitimate reports - even if they turn out to be something quite innocent, will never create a case for prosecution. It is only stupid accusations that leave any room for anyone to press charges - we could do with less stupid accusations, which is why being able to press charges for things like this is important.
Gee any thoughts that maybe London is a prime terrorist target  because of exactly your "who gives a shit attitude" toward terrorism.
That guy was right to report that bag, and it was wrong for you to ignore it. Maybe if you got involved when you saw shit that looked out of the ordinary you might have prevented the recent bombings, or even the subway bombing JUST MAYBE!! Who really knows.

You wanna be sure what you report is worthy of reporting? Just how exactly do you plan on doing that? Wait until something happens, then you can say I saw that guy planting something. Good plan. yer a zero

Or maybe report WHEN you see something and possibly prevent an attack or rape or a kidknapping or whatever. In this case yer a hero.

Or report something that turns out to be ok, and now we know it will remain that way..yer a hero again.

You are talking about gambling, why roll the dice and hope all is well, why not go with the sure thing and KNOW all is well?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6564

lowing wrote:

Gee any thoughts that maybe London is a prime terrorist target  because of exactly your "who gives a shit attitude" toward terrorism.
That guy was right to report that bag, and it was wrong for you to ignore it. Maybe if you got involved when you saw shit that looked out of the ordinary you might have prevented the recent bombings, or even the subway bombing JUST MAYBE!! Who really knows.

You wanna be sure what you report is worthy of reporting? Just how exactly do you plan on doing that? Wait until something happens, then you can say I saw that guy planting something. Good plan. yer a zero

Or maybe report WHEN you see something and possibly prevent an attack or rape or a kidknapping or whatever. In this case yer a hero.

Or report something that turns out to be ok, and now we know it will remain that way..yer a hero again.

You are talking about gambling, why roll the dice and hope all is well, why not go with the sure thing and KNOW all is well?
lol. Are you suggesting that those who are indifferent to terrorism in going about their daily life invite attacks whereas steaming into the middle east all guns blazing somehow deters attacks? There's a bit of a logic void somewhere in there.

lowing - I hope you realise that you cannot eliminate terrorism. It can't be done. It simply cannot be done on the home turf of the terrorists. It's a war of attrition, pure and simple. The British army and secret service - one of the most professional and technologically advanced militaries in the world - conceded a few weeks ago in a report that they did not and could not defeat the IRA. 30 years of warfare against men in masks with sniper rifles, RPGs and cemtex. 30 years and they couldn't crack them. You can't break an ideology fighting the enemy on their home turf.

You're going to have to rethink your solution to terrorism lowing. Get back to me when you come up with it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/nort … 276416.stm

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-07-24 13:41:55)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

lowing wrote:

Life is all about gambling.

The chances of being killed by a terrorist in the UK are significantly less than the chances of being killed by lightning. Needless to say, I'm not particularly scared of either. The disruption caused by these sorts of reports causes far more damage than the terrorist attacks themselves.

You simply don't understand the situation and are deluding yourself that this is far simpler than it really is.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard