Darth_Rambo
+22|6738|Raleigh, NC
Recently, while playing BF2, my computer would crash and reboot after 30+ minutes of playing. This started happening about 2 weeks ago. I decided to clean the dust of all my fans and cooling fins. After doing so, my computer will turn-on, but their isn't any picture/video on my monitor. The power light, on the PC, on the activity light on the hard drive are on. When I turn it on I don't see any of the startup BIOS text or any Windows images, no pictures whatsoever. I even tried removing the motherboard jumper to put it into Recoery mode, still no picture. I did verify that I did not blow off any connections to the motherboard when I cleaned inside my case.

I'm thinking my graphics card has failed since I'm not getting any picture to the monitor. Also, since the crash only occurred while playing video games, never if I was just surfing the Net. I have tried using a different monitor, so I ruled the monitor out and its fairly new.

Any thoughts? It's been two days and no BF2!!
chuckle_hound
+32|6698|Edinburgh, Scotland
I'd say you've damaged the graphics card when it overheated.  Might be worth contacting the supplier/ manufacturer and getting a replacement.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6802|AUS, Canberra
yeh you have fubard you card me thinks.

i ha dthe same prob last week and i had burnt out my card.
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6864
Check two things.
Check the PCboard of the video card and check for any blown capacitors or any burn marks.
Then, try turning on the computer and then check and see if the fan is spinning(granted that the video card has it's own fan)

If you have one, try a spare video card.
Darth_Rambo
+22|6738|Raleigh, NC
The Graphics card fan is spinning.
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6782
was your computer freezing after 30 + mins of play and sometimes rebooting?

I am having this problem just now and dont know it is a CPU, GPU, PSU or RAM problem!

doing me head in like.
CrazeD
+368|6704|Maine
You probally fried the pathways on the card. I did that to my old card while playing Splinter Cell. My computer started, but couldn't even play a movie in windows media because it would freeze.
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6819|Hanging onto the UAV
As someone else said, I'd try another gfx card in there first to make sure it's definitely that which has b0rked.

Is the card still in warranty? I'd contact the manufacturer and get a replacement. Don't mention that you cleaned the card though...sometimes they'll use any excuse to wriggle out of giving you a replacement.
Rumfuddle
+14|6749
Yeah, sounds like your card overheated and is dead.  I used to have an 9800pro that would overheat and konk out the video after about 30 minutes of BF2, requiring a restart.  I ultimately installed a pci fan which seemed to resolve the problem.  I now have a 6800 and heat is not a problem with it, no longer need the pci fan.
reg-waters
+0|6709
i hear you on the video card i had same thing 2 weeks ago new 6200 was all they had for agp cards nicer than my 5700   hope you get it going then frag-on
Gabbo
+1|6729
same thing happened to me it was overheating so know i just keep my case open and the problem went away
uber73
+188|6783|Brisbane
dead gfx card tho, would result in system/board beep.. he never mentioned that
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6712|Dayton, Ohio
Are you hearing anything during boot, diagnostic beep or anything.  Just because the HD and lights come on does not mean that the MOBO is even operating.  You could have a Dead Mobo.
SGT_Squirtle
+13|6747
Check your RAM as well, dead RAM will also cause no picture to appear... this is usually represented by a sequence of beeps right after you hit the power button... but only if you have a PC speaker and only if it's hooked up.
Stun_Gun
The Tom Cruise of BF2 pilots
+102|6804|California, US
ok i have a problem with my card or my game, it some parts i get a different color then it should be ont he map (like bright green, yellow, red) i showed a picture before but then it stopped and notticed it again today.... should i reinstall the card drives or the game?
heres a link to the other post with a picture: http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=11065
SuB
+50|6707
u did plug the monitor back in right?
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6732

SGT_Squirtle wrote:

Check your RAM as well, dead RAM will also cause no picture to appear... this is usually represented by a sequence of beeps right after you hit the power button... but only if you have a PC speaker and only if it's hooked up.
The motherboard should be capable of generating its own post beeps. I know mine sure does.

To the OP, does your computer beep when you first turn it on, or does the power turn on and literally nothing happens?
ExitWound
+0|6712
I blew my shaders on my GFX card. Maybe u wore away a terminal while dusting? unlikely i know.
ExitWound
+0|6712
and Stun_ Gun i think thats summat to do with ure shaders. I had big yellow lines down my screen

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard