Religious belief structures25%25% - 24
Culture6%6% - 6
Economics10%10% - 10
Other11%11% - 11
Total: 94
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6651|Dayton, Ohio
All the talk of war, guns and other social problems in our world got me to thinking.  What is the root cause of our problems?  Wars are fought of religion, culture and economics.  Would removing any one of those bring us closer to harmony?  Is it Human nature?  Are there a field of influence that I am over looking.  Is man kind pre-determined to fail or have we brought it upon ourselves.  If the world started over, what are the chances we would end up right back in this same place dealing with these same issues?  What can be done to overcome them?

Last edited by KnowMeByTrailOfDead (2007-07-23 10:58:55)

Rebelfighter45
+2|6094|Belgium, Antwerp
I think it is the combination of all these things that does war come upon us. But there would be less war if all the countrys over the world would have the same wealth. However you still have those idiots like hitler who just start wars.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK
Combination. Mainly human nature though, such as greed.
Curtor
+6|6119|Canada
Lack of empathy
l41e
+677|6618

We're all assholes.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6540|Portland, OR, USA
Ignorance.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6412|Stealth City, UK
Greed bitch!
weerdfoo1
Banned
+26|6135|California
The need of politicians to have power and extreme wealth

Last edited by weerdfoo1 (2007-07-23 11:00:11)

KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6651|Dayton, Ohio

Vilham wrote:

But is greed truly part of our nature or is that something that is taught as part of our culture.  If human nature is the root cause then we must be destined to destroy ourselves and this entire world is a failed experiment, peace is nothing more than a fruitless endeavor.

Last edited by KnowMeByTrailOfDead (2007-07-23 11:02:17)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6614
the jews

jokes

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-07-23 11:06:45)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6512|Texas - Bigger than France
All of the above
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

the jews

jokes
Yes they cause all the problems... Especially in my country...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA
Why can human kind not achieve peace and unity ?

1 greed
2 religion
3 lust

in that order
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

KnowMeByTrailOfDead wrote:

Vilham wrote:

But is greed truly part of our nature or is that something that is taught as part of our culture.  If human nature is the root cause then we must be destined to destroy ourselves and this entire world is a failed experiment, peace is nothing more than a fruitless endeavor.
Human nature may be the seedling, but I believe it manifests when all humans get together.  It is amazing to me how world politics, religion, sports, and economics can be a sort of macrocosm of the schoolyard.  Human nature is good and evil - we have self-destructive instincts and self-building instincts all the same.  Greed isn't "taught" per say.  5 year-olds grabbing the toys from their playdates do not learn these from culture, but I would not call it greed so much.  I wish I could explain better but in the interest of saving some time and reading, I won't elaborate.

As far as the world being a failed experiment, how could you possibly say that?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525
Mainly greed, as lowing pointed out. The pleasure principle and the survival instinct combined with competition for scarce resources on an increasingly small planet mean that peace is but a hypothesis. Alpha male stuff.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-07-23 11:52:32)

topal63
. . .
+533|6688
Altruism is natural - as a natural ethic it ends at a line (altruistic natural traits common to most social organisms being: child raising, herding, working together towards a common group-goal/i.e. food-sustenance, etc). Group, groupthink, nation, corporation, religious affiliation, etc - this is the line - and in the end it; all of it; is tribalism. In the tribal mindset: you are either are a member of the group or you are not. Natural altruism ceases to be altruism (at the tribal-group-line) - when others outside the group can be de-humanized, demonized, trivialized, discounted in-whole-aspect. Peace is a matter of tribalism (or natural tribalistic tendencies and the belief systems that encourage this behavior) vs reason.

It is tribalism vs reason. Can reason defeat groupthink?

Last edited by topal63 (2007-07-23 12:02:03)

konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6520|CH/BR - in UK

1. Greed
2. Ignorance
3. Envy

-konfusion
IRONCHEF
+385|6461|Northern California
gweed (aka, for cash and power)
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina
Is Ironchef back?
Villain{NY}
Banned
+44|6314|New York
We're not advanced enough as a civilization to realise that we all have one thing in common, we're all human beings and that one factor should take precedence over our small differences.
mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6206|Uk
in my opinion, people (reasonable people) seem to work past every barrier that divides people, unfortunately, the people in power, arent reasonable.

religion has always been the biggest cause for war and will always divide people, as it is a difference in beliefs as opposed to something trivial such as a difference in ethnicity.  the only people religion brings together are people of the same religion, and the only way everyone is going to have the same religion is to force beliefs upon people, so i don't know if religious barriers will ever truely be overcome
Rebelfighter45
+2|6094|Belgium, Antwerp
So, what could be a solution for this problem??
confused
+10|6364|British Columbia

mkxiii wrote:

in my opinion, people (reasonable people) seem to work past every barrier that divides people, unfortunately, the people in power, arent reasonable.

religion has always been the biggest cause for war and will always divide people, as it is a difference in beliefs as opposed to something trivial such as a difference in ethnicity.  the only people religion brings together are people of the same religion, and the only way everyone is going to have the same religion is to force beliefs upon people, so i don't know if religious barriers will ever truely be overcome
Religion doesn't cause war.  It is an excuse for war (in rational people).
trippy982
+34|6368
1.  Greed
2.  Pride / e-Penis
3.  We lack the ability to be fully content with anything.
mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6206|Uk

confused wrote:

mkxiii wrote:

Religion doesn't cause war.  It is an excuse for war (in rational people).
i think it is sometimes one and sometimes the other. some people use it as an excuse, and some people believe that what they are doing will make a difference in the 'grand scheme of things'

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard