joker8baller
+68|6668
After an entertaining discussion in IRC last night, I'm really torn apart between the two. They'll cost the same...

What's better for gaming?

---
Q6600 is $300 on newegg....
And the 6850 isn't even on newegg >.< Damn.

Tips/Help on overclocking for the Q6600?

Last edited by joker8baller (2007-07-22 09:49:32)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

I would previously have said the E6850, but the thought of taking a Q6600 and whacking the FSB up to 333 giving you the performance of a Q6850 is rather tempting, so I'd go for that.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York
You can just OC the Q6600, so go Q6600.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6443|Stealth City, UK
First of all you need an Intel P35 or NV680 chipset on your MOBO for the E6850. If you've got that, then definetly go for that over the Quad. The generic CPU speed is more, the potential to OC is more, its runs a LOT cooler and it has the 1333 FSB support.

For multi-tasking, a Q6600 is better. But if you will compare the two cpus on a single application such as gaming, the X6850 > Q6600. Simply because a clock speed of 3.0GHz is much faster than a clock speed of 2.4GHz.

Here is a suggestion, if you are getting a P35 board (which you definetly should be, if you aren't looking to SLI), get a cheap CPU now, and get the high-end next-gen penryn CPU when they get released since your motherboard can run it.

Next-gen quad-cores will be:
1) super efficient @ 45nm meaning they will be MUCH cooler and therefore very easy to overclock (todays C2Q are abit harder)
2) 1333 FSB (good for quad core)
3) slightly higher clock speeds with maximum reaching 3.33 GHz
4) MASSIVE L2 cache @ 12MB

To sum up:

If you're just gaming get the E6850, but if you're running video render software or Photoshop get the Q6600.

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-07-22 10:01:34)

JaMrulezass
+47|6466|Hong Kong
Q6600 coz its four heheh. Plus, much more futureproof, youll need it for stuff like Supreem Commander, Crysis, Alan Wake etc.
joker8baller
+68|6668
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail   - $240

This is the board my friend and I will be getting.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

joker8baller wrote:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail   - $240

This is the board my friend and I will be getting.
Well if you want the best for that board right now, get the E6850.

If you're prepared to wait a bit for the Quad that's designed for the features of that board, then get the E6600 or the E6750 (or even a cheaper one) and use that until the other comes out.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

I'd probably go with the Q6600. The newer stuff that you'll want high end processing power for is nicely multi-threaded, games like Supreme Commander already see huge benefits from quad cores. Crysis is supposed to be optimised for quad cores and I'm sure most of the more demanding games to be released over the next few years will be heavily optimised to benefit from multiple cores.
joker8baller
+68|6668
Roger. Thanks for yall's opinion. lol... still wavering, been reading up Tom's Hardware's forums, there's actually a thread IDENTICAL to this one.. ><

I also need a good wireless card...

Last edited by joker8baller (2007-07-22 10:17:49)

<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6466|Melbourne - Home of Football
Link to the THG thread?
gvers
Bad at BF:BC2
+109|6673|The Real World

Bertster7 wrote:

I'd probably go with the Q6600. The newer stuff that you'll want high end processing power for is nicely multi-threaded, games like Supreme Commander already see huge benefits from quad cores. Crysis is supposed to be optimised for quad cores and I'm sure most of the more demanding games to be released over the next few years will be heavily optimised to benefit from multiple cores.
QFE
mafropetee
+18|6145|Altamonte Springs, FL
definately Q6600. games are soon gonna start to be more and more multithreaded. plus, the Q6600 already overclocks like a bitch. there is no reason for this 1333 FSB bs. you can easily get the Q6600 to that FSB and maybe even higher with some decent air cooling.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

mafropetee wrote:

plus, the Q6600 already overclocks like a bitch.
You obviously don't know what you are talking about.
gvers
+109|6673|The Real World

With the Q6600 you want the newer G0 stepping but its a quad core and heat will always be an issue when overclocking so you need a very goods HSF
mafropetee

buLLet_t00th wrote:

mafropetee wrote:

i think i do. i know lots of people with it who have gotten it up to 3GHz on stock cooling. thats higher than the QX6800 stock.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

mafropetee wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

mafropetee wrote:

i think i do. i know lots of people with it who have gotten it up to 3GHz on stock cooling. thats higher than the QX6800 stock.
Thats not really OC'n like a bitch now is it?

The normal E6600 gets to 3.4 - 3.5 easily. Not really the same is it?
gvers
+109|6673|The Real World

I think he means that 3Ghz is not really overclocking to the max 3.4-3.8 would be more like it. The 2 processors both have advantages over each other and I would expect the e6850 to overclock better that the Q6600 for most people because of the extra heat of the quad core.
mafropetee

buLLet_t00th wrote:

mafropetee wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

Thats not really OC'n like a bitch now is it?

The normal E6600 gets to 3.4 - 3.5 easily. Not really the same is it?
ohh shut up. its basically two E6600's glued together. of course it wont overclock AS WELL as the E6600 because of heat issues, but still, a lot of people accept 3GHz and dont bother going past that. 3GHz is incredibly fast. and a 3GHz quad core... well. thats just the shit.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

gvers wrote:

I think he means that 3Ghz is not really overclocking to the max 3.4-3.8 would be more like it. The 2 processors both have advantages over each other and I would expect the e6850 to overclock better that the Q6600 for most people because of the extra heat of the quad core.
But the E6600 is not hitting max at 3.4, if both had the best coolers and the best components to go alongside it, the E6600 would still beat it hands down. Thats at clock speed, not in multitask performance.

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-07-22 12:17:11)

JaMrulezass
+47|6466|Hong Kong
Bullet Tooth just hates the Quads rite now
mafropetee

buLLet_t00th wrote:

gvers wrote:

But the E6600 is not hitting max at 3.4, if both had the best coolers and the best components to go alongside it, the E6600 would still beat it hands down. Thats at clock speed, not in multitask performance.
once again, my normal challenge: take two E6600's in two computers of the exact same specs, clock one at 3.0GHz and one at 3.4GHz, and tell me if you can honestly see a difference (besides in CPU-Z where it says "3400MHz"). no. i highly doubt you could.

in real-time, actual experience, the Q6600 will give you more satisfaction with A: its ability to multitask like crazy and B: the future of multithreaded aplications.

point made. thank you.
JaMrulezass
+47|6466|Hong Kong

mafropetee wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

gvers wrote:

once again, my normal challenge: take two E6600's in two computers of the exact same specs, clock one at 3.0GHz and one at 3.4GHz, and tell me if you can honestly see a difference (besides in CPU-Z where it says "3400MHz"). no. i highly doubt you could.

in real-time, actual experience, the Q6600 will give you more satisfaction with A: its ability to multitask like crazy and B: the future of multithreaded aplications.

point made. thank you.
agreed.
Mong0ose
Will it blend?
+24|6487|UK

mafropetee wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

gvers wrote:

point made. thank you.
we have a winner
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

JaMrulezass wrote:

Bullet Tooth just hates the Quads rite now
I just don't see the point for people who just play games on their PC.

mafropetee wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

gvers wrote:

point made. thank you.
You're really showing that you don't know what you're talking about now....I suggest you don't embarrass yourself further.

Multi-tasking only plays a part when you have got tonnes and tonnes of complex programmes running. The C2D's have shown that they can handle immense amounts of information being proccessed through it, I doubt you'd have enough programmes running to stop dead the E6850. So this part of your argument fails.

Next we have the multi-thread argument. Yes four is better than two, but how many games now and in the future are going to have four cores as something you must have to run a game? Whats that you're saying.....none? One core of each of the CPU's will be used much more than that of the others available (and this is putting it as simply as it can get) and obviously the one with the higher clock speed is better!

This all comes down to whether the OP wants to use video render software, Photoshop software etc. etc.

Now please be quiet.

Edit: And the fact that if you do buy a E6850 you need to have a P35 (or 680i, although that isn't futureproof), enables you to be truely futureproof with 45nm CPU's. Seriously, most people on here read a few tech reports on other sites and think they know what they're talking about.....I find that quite pathetic.

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-07-22 14:21:58)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard