Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6654|USA
Hey guys-

I've played all the Civilization games except this one. I still have Civ3. I was just wondering if anyone here has played it and can give some pros and cons so I can determine wether its worth getting or if Im better off sticking with the old one and saving my 40 bucks. Karma to contributors.
shadowkila
+26|6402|Canada
Never played Civ 3 but i own Civ 4 and it's a really good game.I would recommend it to any previous Civ player.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6548|Kent, UK
yeah, it's a great game. The interface is a lot better, and so are the graphics and sfx
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6654|USA
Bought it. Its THE SHIT.

*locks self in room playing incredibly addictive Civ4.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636
I play Hearts of Iron series myself.  Civ 4 just gets stale after a while
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Haha, I still play Civ1 from time to time.
shadowkila
+26|6402|Canada

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Bought it. Its THE SHIT.

*locks self in room playing incredibly addictive Civ4.
Thats the exact reason i stopped playing it.....time just flys by.

Don't forget to get some nice fresh air once and awhile
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636
i bet i could beat you mason
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6654|USA

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

i bet i could beat you mason
Ill bet you can....for now....
B-Scimitar
Defeating your warriors.
+116|6401|Espoo, Finland
Will you buy Beyond the Sword -expansion when it comes out next month?

Last edited by B-Scimitar (2007-06-29 05:15:05)

Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6654|USA

B-Scimitar wrote:

Probably. There is another out now right? Warlords?

As for multiplayer, I couldn't imagine th etime it would take. It takes me hours just to play the AI.
B-Scimitar
Defeating your warriors.
+116|6401|Espoo, Finland

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

B-Scimitar wrote:

Probably. There is another out now right? Warlords?

As for multiplayer, I couldn't imagine th etime it would take. It takes me hours just to play the AI.
There's not much new in Warlords though. Couple new wonders and civilizations. Vassal states are only "big" new feature in it.

MP takes a lot of time. Especially in the late game when everyone has 500+ units. We've had several over 20-hour games with my friends.
voltage
+46|6832|Sweden
There's one thing that's much much better in Civ IV than in III: the corruption system. In IV, each city have a maintenance cost that burdens the treasury, the longer the distance to the capital, the higher the maintenance cost. Unlike III, the city doesn't get any penalty on shields (or trade, other than the maintenance cost) which means you can easily build Courts or Forbidden Palace to reduce corruption. That also means that a captured city on another continent can be useful.

The promotion system for military units is pretty fun, you can specialize units to get attack bonus against certain other units, defend better in terrain or other bonuses.

If you liked the Caravan in Civ II, there's something similar in IV. There are different kind of Great Persons you can set your cities to produce, and the Great Merchant can be taken to a distant city on a trade mission and yield lots of gold.

In IV changing Civics (corresponding to Government in III) only takes on turn.

Last edited by voltage (2007-07-21 10:04:45)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard