Pizall
+0|6735|N.C.

the_heart_attack wrote:

BEE_Grim_Reaper wrote:

Well.... if you have the money to buy it, do so.... as far as I know, the cost of the card is 1.5 times the cost of the NVidia... plus: ATI drivers still suck (even a ATI certified software engineer whom I happen to know says that)
here the ati is selling for 900 and the nvidia for 1300
Here in the states it the 7800 is only about 350 to 500 dollars depending on witch series u want.

You can always check E-bay for good deals on cards

Last edited by Pizall (2006-02-01 17:21:50)

JaM3z
Banned
+311|6719
im stuck in should i go ATi or NVIDEA i have had a ATi X850XT and fried it to peices, then i got a X800Pro from a mate both seem'd good cards although i had to use 3rd party drivers specially designed for 256MB versions.

anyways im stuck at the point where i could go ATi crossfire or NVIDEA SLi buuuuuut i aint to sure yet i got all this money but i think i am either going to stick with the peice of shit i have at the mo or build me own or wait for that dell with 4 NVIDEA cards in it, (i wish i had that sort of money)

whats better here ATi crossfire or NVIDEA SLi, and is it worth the wait for the next generation GPU's?

Last edited by JaM3z (2006-02-01 17:24:49)

n1nj41c l337ne55
+1|6753|Pittsburgh, Virginia lol

-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon wrote:

I opened my computer up the other day & in the graphics card slot I found a silicone board with 'IOU One Graphics Card' written on it in solder & transistors, was quite dissapointing
So what settings can it run on bf2
BEE_Grim_Reaper
+15|6715|Germany

JaM3z wrote:

im stuck in should i go ATi or NVIDEA i have had a ATi X850XT and fried it to peices, then i got a X800Pro from a mate both seem'd good cards although i had to use 3rd party drivers specially designed for 256MB versions.

anyways im stuck at the point where i could go ATi crossfire or NVIDEA SLi buuuuuut i aint to sure yet i got all this money but i think i am either going to stick with the peice of shit i have at the mo or build me own or wait for that dell with 4 NVIDEA cards in it, (i wish i had that sort of money)

whats better here ATi crossfire or NVIDEA SLi, and is it worth the wait for the next generation GPU's?
Well... Since ATI Crossfire is designed to be able to use two GPU's of different type while SLI has to be used with two identical GPU's it depends on the taste.... Crossfire is actually a try to counter SLI with the ability to use one high performance GPU and pair it with a lower performance GPU for the slim purse.... If that works stable I don't really know but it is definitely a tradeoff.

But since there are currently changes in standards going on anyway I would wait a bit for things to settle (AGP to PCIe migration and the capacity for SLI).
psychotoxic187
+11|6718

BEE_Grim_Reaper wrote:

Especially if you get 2 of them and team them up in SLI... though ATI has copied that to some extent, NVidia SLI still works better.
SLI does not work better, in many cases the 2 cards perform worse than the single card, of the same version. Both, SLI, and Crossfire are in the early stages, and at this point are not needed, as no game takes full advantage of both cards.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6856|"Frisco"

psychotoxic187 wrote:

SLI does not work better, in many cases the 2 cards perform worse than the single card, of the same version. Both, SLI, and Crossfire are in the early stages, and at this point are not needed, as no game takes full advantage of both cards.
I'm not sure what crack you're smoking but I've never seen a single test that didn't perform equal or far superior with SLI'd cards.

- http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvi … page14.asp

as an example. You'll note that in Doom3 (rather intesne game) sli racks up 30fps difference on average, that's pretty good considering it's (in a few cases) > 50% increase in speed.
psychotoxic187
+11|6718

chuyskywalker wrote:

psychotoxic187 wrote:

I'm not sure what crack you're smoking but I've never seen a single test that didn't perform equal or far superior with SLI'd cards.

- http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvi … page14.asp

as an example. You'll note that in Doom3 (rather intesne game) sli racks up 30fps difference on average, that's pretty good considering it's (in a few cases) > 50% increase in speed.
It's funny you asume I am smoking something, and making this up. It is well known that SLI is not worth the money.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/02/ … age20.html
Maj.Do
+85|6760|good old CA
SLI not worth the money who cares about those scores lol its still fast in other games
BEE_Grim_Reaper
+15|6715|Germany

psychotoxic187 wrote:

BEE_Grim_Reaper wrote:

Especially if you get 2 of them and team them up in SLI... though ATI has copied that to some extent, NVidia SLI still works better.
I guess you somewhat missed my point.... I was saying, that SLI would still outperform Crossfire in most applications... BUT: since both are still new technologies as well as PCIe, one should wait until things settle down a bit.
Maj.Do
+85|6760|good old CA
power game as Clock speedss?
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6704|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
ati - benchmarks  nvidia - games  sli is only worth the money if your gonna flick on ultr high aa at high resolutions
Maj.Do
+85|6760|good old CA
i wonder if sli/crossfire will like have double the score in 3dmark like a single x1900 makes8000  *not true example* crossfire it and u get 16000
psychotoxic187
+11|6718

Maj.Do wrote:

SLI not worth the money who cares about those scores lol its still fast in other games
That is exactly why it sucks. If it only performs better in 50% of the games you play, is that worth double the cost? Hell no, especially when it gives you worse performance, it's a roll of the dice that it gives you better performance.
emperorphoenix
+5|6783|Westeren Australia

Rofl_My_Waffle wrote:

ATI's new x1900xtx owned Nvidia's 7800 GTX
nvidia 7900gtx owns x1900xtx
OaksMokedBacon
+0|6716|Dundee, Scotland
ii'm pretty sure that it is known fact that ATI are quite lot better than Nvidia when it comes to Direct X games (which i'm pretty sure that BF2 is). Nvidia tend to rule the roost on opengl hence why your quakes and dooms (i think doom3 is ogl) run better on them. Driver wise, i agree the cat drivers arent he greatest but you have 2/3 3rd party drivers which generally are ace as they are tweak especially for running games. in all honesty tho who gives a shit about 10-15 fps increase when ur gettin 80-100fps generally neway? as long as i can play the game and enjoy it who cares!

I've used both makes of card. My gf3 ti500 was probably the best card ever made that i've used. In its time it shat upon anyhting else. I just bought an ati x800xt platinum over 6800gt after reading reviews and hardware reviews. Theres plus and minus to both sides of the argument but the Ati card was better value for money in my opinion.
Trobow
+1|6725|Kettering, Ohio
Ummmmmm, duh.  They released the x1800 thinking it would be able to compete on the same level and it couldn't.  So what do you think they do next?  RELEASE THE NEXT ONE!  Wait till Nvidia releases the 7900GTX, then ATI will be back to square one.
Tcx_1
+3|6749|Alberta, Canada
Anyone have any experience with the ATI Mobility Radeon x1400?
On whether it will run this game, or whether its a decent card at all?
Maj.Do
+85|6760|good old CA
1300 u mean ?
ati is in the lead right now but as tech. gets better nvidia we be in the lead again and it will keep changin
Tcx_1
+3|6749|Alberta, Canada
No, the x1400 for notebooks.
I'm not really looking for the best one, but just want to know if this one runs the game.
Maj.Do
+85|6760|good old CA
oh didnt know there was a 1300 . Isnt there a geforce go 7800GTX?
Zanzura
Shallow and Pedantic
+2|6680|Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Trobow wrote:

Ummmmmm, duh.  They released the x1800 thinking it would be able to compete on the same level and it couldn't.  So what do you think they do next?  RELEASE THE NEXT ONE!  Wait till Nvidia releases the 7900GTX, then ATI will be back to square one.
Why don't you post something more informative than that? "OMFG WAIT TILL NVIDA RELESE 7954GTX AND TEH ATI WILL BE TEH BEHND LOKLOLO" Obviously Nvidia's gonna respond to the x1900xtx and then ATI will respond and so on.
TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6834|Netherlands
microsoft flightsimulator   

thats what its for..SLI 2x...P 

im content.

4 Monitors  on multi-reso.
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6704|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
lol have you seen those screens thqat surround your room cant find a link or remember what they are but you when you twist your neck so does your view on the screens
StokoE
Losers-Server
+51|6849|UK

Maj.Do wrote:

Also whats the point.. I dont see any value in getting the cards as i only really play bf2 and footy manager 2005 and my 6800GT runs perfect for both games..

I have no need for an upgrade and i think its just rubbish that all these new cards are coming out constantly.. but as  you can see from the people wo are posting.. That there is a market in the market for these cards yet there isnt much difference..

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard