Lost Hope
Lurker
+20|6319|Brussels, Belgium

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

1)  i say again, for those of the more 'liberal' type, list the car you currently drive and the reasoning behind your purchase.

2)  america is a 'car culture'.  it would be hard to change this since it's been in our DNA since the 40s-50s
1) I don't have a car and I don't plan to have one, why would I ?

The public transportation in Brussels is well developed and the prices of oil don't make me want to buy a car.

And besides, I don't want to risk acting like in GTA.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/9c9f8f6ff3579a4c711aa54bbb9e928ec0786003.png
Smithereener
+138|6308|California
I'm pretty much for the environment. Might not be global warming, but there's no doubt in my mind that excessive pollution isn't going to do anything beneficial for the environment. Of course, it'd be nice if people began to drive around smaller cars, but obviously it isn't going to happen.

But beating up those bigger cars isn't going to jack squat except piss of the person who owns that car. I don't see the reasoning or justification behind ruining someone else's property. You may not like it, but that's absolutely no reason to infringe on another's right to private property. Those guys need to chill out.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6728|Salt Lake City

for those that don't appreciate the SUV, what kind of vehicle do *you* own?  what motivated your choice to purchase that vehicle?
Mitsubishi Eclipse.  Has a 4-cylinder and gets over 30 MPG on the highway, and about 24 MPG around town.  I live within 10 miles of where I work, and 98% of my drive is freeway driving.  Weather permitting I also ride my bike to work 2-3 times a week; right now with the temps at 100-103F and all the wild fires making the air thick enough to cut with a knife, I haven't ridden for a couple of weeks.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6215|Escea

I've recognised a sort or irony recently, cars in Europe are generally smaller than American cars, yet recent cars are much bigger than their original. For example, the new mini is far bigger than the original, the new Fiat 500 is far bigger than the original. The Ford Focus, is bigger than the original and so is the Ford Mondeo. My point is that even though these cars are smaller than American cars generally, they are getting bigger and bigger as the years go by. So they will actually be worse for the roads weight-wise than the original vehicles.
HURLEY
Ima Crunchatize you.
+170|6675|The Lou
Who wants to bet Ron Jermy doesn't drive a little ass car that gets 40 mpg

Last edited by HURLEY (2007-07-20 10:59:53)

CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6349|CA, USA
as i said earlier, i can get 10 mpg in any car - it depends on *how* you drive it. 

I drive a BMW M3 and it gets <25 mpg on highway and probably about 15 in city.  YET, i drive very infrequently as i am blessed with the ability to telecommute every day.  even so, i live about 1.5 miles from work so i can't even get through one song on the radio.  it takes me about 1-2 months to go through a tank of gas = $40-50.  Of course on the weekends, i might take longer trips, etc.  i'm lucky and in a different circumstance from most.  my reasoning for the car is that i've always liked performance oriented cars.  big cars are not interesting *to me* but i'm not going to tell others that they can't have such cars.

does this mean that i'm overcompensating for some insecurities?  i don't look at it that way.  my reasoning is that i want to have 'fun' when i'm driving.  i love going fast on the twisties because it's 'thrilling'.  so what's wrong with doing this as long as it is done responsibly?  if anything, i'm overcompensating for boring commutes. 

others have said that they don't have cars and use public transportation.  public transportation is great - if you have it.  tell that to a guy who lives in suburbs or more rural areas and there are lots of these cases in the US.  I totally understand not needing a car in a city but then explain how you get groceries, do your shopping for larger items, etc.  i imagine you might make many separate trips, or just buy groceries for the day or two.  how do you carry a case of beer home - this would get heavy after a few blocks.
nlsme
+48|6407|new york

Flecco wrote:

The military version of the hummer is far more fuel efficient than the civy one. Go figure.
Don't know how you come up with that.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6562|Portland, OR, USA
lol, too bad the prius and other hybrids aren't terribly eco friendly when you look at the shit that goes into making them...
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

i say again, for those of the more 'liberal' type, list the car you currently drive and the reasoning behind your purchase.
21 gear mountain bike, front suspension, disc brakes. Reasoning: cars don't make any sense in medieval street layout Dublin, especially when I live within 30 minutes walk of work. I can get the bus if I want to go to the family home in Donegal (5 hours away).
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

1)  i say again, for those of the more 'liberal' type, list the car you currently drive and the reasoning behind your purchase.
2003 Saab 9.5 Turbo.   I saw the commercial that said they were "born from jets" and I've always wanted to own a jet...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard