kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland

Wikipedia, Pascal's Wager wrote:

In his Wager, Pascal attempts to provide an analytical process for a person to evaluate options in regarding belief in God. This is often misinterpreted as simply believing in God or not. As Pascal sets it out, the options are two: live as if God exists, or live as if God does not exist. There is no third possibility.

Therefore, we are faced with the following possibilities:

* You live as though God exists.
          o If God exists, you go to heaven: your gain is infinite.
          o If God does not exist, you gain nothing & lose nothing.

* You live as though God does not exist.
          o If God exists, you go to hell: your loss is infinite.
          o If God does not exist, you gain nothing & lose nothing.

With these possibilities, and the principles of statistics, Pascal attempted to demonstrate that the only prudent course of action is to live as if God exists. It is a simple application of game theory (to which Pascal had made important contributions).

Another way of portraying the Wager is as a decision under uncertainty with the values of the following decision matrix:
    God exists (G)     God does not exist (~G)
Living as if God exists (B)     +∞ (heaven)     −N (none)
Living as if God does not exist (~B)     −∞ (hell)     +N (none)

Given the values that Pascal proposes, the option of living as if God exists(B) dominates the option of not living as if God exists (~B). In other words, the expected value gained by choosing B is always greater than or equal to that of choosing ~B, regardless of the likelihood that God exists.
I can just use a very simply argument to get to the root of creation. Who invented the cells, that first started off this "evolution" chain? Who invented what was before that? And before that? And before that? And before that? Don't get me wrong, I believe in evolution to some extent, but if you think I am wasting my time and spending 10 minutes each day thanking the Lord for everything, that's your problem.
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6591|Gold coast, Aus.
protip: no matter how much science you prove something with, the Christians will still believe in Christianity, and vice versa for atheism.
Ottomania
Troll has returned.
+62|6491|Istanbul-Turkey
lol you foolz going to hell. sad for ya.
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6726|Hell, p.o box 666

Ottomania wrote:

pah, I´ve been there before, it was ok!
David.P
Banned
+649|6244
See this is why people hate you. Your post is full of arrogance, You are no better then those extremists you try to disprove, And you make so many posts recycling the same thing over and over again.
l41e
+677|6618

You've been here a year and still think center tags work?

...yeah, that's the first thing I saw.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

Ottomania wrote:

I feel sad for you, going through this life living by your rules and waiting for a reward in the next life that doesn't even exist.

...different strokes for different folks.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6711|OctoLand

Ty wrote:

I'm sure everyone already knows this. It's a question of faith. Some people like myself don't have it and some people do. This argument will not sway people into believing one way or the other.
QFT, basically you just wasted your time writing that.

I just don't understand people who want to write essays questioning someones faith, if you don't agree with it, just STFU tbh.
I know fucking karate
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

justice wrote:

Ty wrote:

I'm sure everyone already knows this. It's a question of faith. Some people like myself don't have it and some people do. This argument will not sway people into believing one way or the other.
QFT, basically you just wasted your time writing that.

I just don't understand people who want to write essays questioning someones faith, if you don't agree with it, just STFU tbh.
I agree ...and likewise if you do believe don't try and convert someone who's happy not following religion. Let's let each other do what we want to do.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Ottomania wrote:

Let me ask you this. Why do people with heavy religious beliefs are afraid of dying? Wouldn't they apparently go to an afterlife and live eternally with God? And what happened to (for Christians) Jesus dying for our sins?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438
We don't care that you're an atheist and if you really think you are actually converting anyone you are an idiot.
twiistaaa
+87|6638|mexico

leetkyle wrote:

Therefore, we are faced with the following possibilities:

* You live as though God exists.
          o If God exists, you go to heaven: your gain is infinite.
          oIf God does not exist, you gain nothing & lose nothing.
no you do lose something, time spent living your life in church, prayer and concern. you lose your own moral compass and let a fictitious book give you the basis of right and wrong (even thought it technically doesn't lol). it corrupts the near one in infinitey opportunity you get at life.
aLeX
.?
+160|6301|:D

I agree with everything he said.

Imo, one of the main reasons people follow religion is because it creates structure in their lives. It tells them what to think, what to believe, what to do and like you said, gives them the answers to those difficult questions.
I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6689|Melbourne, Australia
i dont think god is real.. simply because he wouldent make life so hard
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

leetkyle wrote:

I can just use a very simply argument to get to the root of creation. Who invented the cells, that first started off this "evolution" chain? Who invented what was before that? And before that? And before that? And before that? Don't get me wrong, I believe in evolution to some extent, but if you think I am wasting my time and spending 10 minutes each day thanking the Lord for everything, that's your problem.
Time is not linear. However nothing in the theory of evolution excludes the existence of a God. A God could be the reason why and not how. Faith or lack thereof is a personal decision that we must decide as individuals. If those decisions do not effect you personally then we have no business trashing them. We are all free to choose our beliefs.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6711|OctoLand

I.M.I Militant wrote:

Ha, it could be SO much harder you, you should be thankful, no matter what your circumstances are atm, you are in a decent country, have enough money for house internet food etc.
I know fucking karate
I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6689|Melbourne, Australia

justice wrote:

I.M.I Militant wrote:

Ha, it could be SO much harder you, you should be thankful, no matter what your circumstances are atm, you are in a decent country, have enough money for house internet food etc.
but id give it all to gain what i once had ... so you take ur materials... and bask in them

there are much more importent things.. even existence... especially if it aient worth existing
HeadShotAK47
Hand's shaken' / Heart's beatn' / Still Shootin'
+32|6696|Ft. Laudy, FL, USA
The only reason why i have a hint of belief in some type of Divine power is this: "what/what created this place that we live(everything planets, rock, space etc.)?" "Why isn't it just a void of white/black(nothingness)" "what is life/what's our purpose/why does anything exist"

just to blow your minds: "are we some type of science experiment in a testtube for some 5th grade person?" "are we an atom on a moster's fingernail, and is there a universe of life on my fingernail?"
topthrill05
+125|6548|Rochester NY USA

Funky_Finny wrote:

Christians believe in "God" and "Heaven" as they are scared that when you die, you die, and nothing more. They wish to have some confirmation that they will have some sort of an "afterlife". I, myself, am an Atheist, but I do believe in reincarnation.
What?
twiistaaa
+87|6638|mexico

HeadShotAK47 wrote:

The only reason why i have a hint of belief in some type of Divine power is this: "what/what created this place that we live(everything planets, rock, space etc.)?" "Why isn't it just a void of white/black(nothingness)" "what is life/what's our purpose/why does anything exist"

just to blow your minds: "are we some type of science experiment in a testtube for some 5th grade person?" "are we an atom on a moster's fingernail, and is there a universe of life on my fingernail?"
it could also blow your mind that maybe we are to dumb to figure it out. show me one cat that understands relativity and i will show you one person able to understand the meaning behind the universe.

but it doesn't mean we cant try right?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
The only major problem that I have with the OP is that he seems to be discussing the matter of evolution versus creationism, which is supposed to be a proxy atheism versus theism. It's not that simple in terms as a large group of Christians, for example, believe in evolution as they should.

And you seem to want God to put on a concert or something, too? Chill. I doubt anyone is convinced that God gains power or popularity or anything proportionally to the number of people that worship Him. God isn't trying to get into the "Kool Kids Klub" of dieties.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6495|South Florida

zeidmaan wrote:

I believe that God exist and that he created everything. He made a universe governed by a set of unimaginably complicated laws of physics. God follows those laws he created and thats why every act of God can be explained by science.
That's your brain thinking "Wow, the laws of physics are so confusing to us in our time, i need a way to have them exist without figuring them out.. hmm.... ok... god just made them! end of question! Let's move on"
15 more years! 15 more years!
zeidmaan
+234|6385|Vienna

Mitch wrote:

zeidmaan wrote:

I believe that God exist and that he created everything. He made a universe governed by a set of unimaginably complicated laws of physics. God follows those laws he created and thats why every act of God can be explained by science.
That's your brain thinking "Wow, the laws of physics are so confusing to us in our time, i need a way to have them exist without figuring them out.. hmm.... ok... god just made them! end of question! Let's move on"
Thats not true. People have to strive to understand those laws. And the more we understand them the more we realize how complicated they are. If you think that the unbelievable complexity of the universe is not "Godly" than I concede and you win.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6662
The egg came first if evolution is correct, just want to clear that up now.
CrazeD
+368|6643|Maine
The difference between Evolution and Creation is that Evolution takes most facts from what we see. What we feel. What we experience, and what we as humans ration as truth.
lmao, yeah I see monkeys morph into humans quite often myself.

You didn't disprove God at all. What you did prove, however, was how ignorant and arrogant you are.

Physical matter can not appear out of thin air and make a big ol' bang and put everything in orbital rotation so perfectly and precisely. Matter magically exploding in space would not create living organisms, that billions of years later magically morph into humans.

How can you believe something as absurd as that, but not believe in something that actually has truth to it? There are tons of things in the Bible that have come true or are coming true as we speak. The Bible was written 2000 years ago, yet things written in it are happening today. Lucky guess? I think not...

You should try Jesus...if you don't like Him, Satan will always take you back.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard