Ali
Official Hell Bound Turbo Action Club Member
+17|6711|Gütersloh, Germany

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

mpec82 wrote:

the top20 guys have more or less the same score, if they keep in this way we'll have a lot of officers, i think dice/ea should make more ranks available for only on or more persons at time son we can have for example:

lets say 1-2 generals, 10 colonel and so on

It would be more realistic
And how do you expect them to Decide who gets what rank? There really is no way to do that on an online game.
That's like saying on an MMORPG only one person can be lvl99 at a time.
Gunbound has such a ranking system and it works.
The lower ranks are based on your points, the higher ranks have limited slots or are based on the percentage of players that have more than a certain score. In BF2 this mark would be 200,000 but I lowered the score for 2nd Lt to 100,000 in this example.

This is just a basic idea. The % aren't calculated based on the amount of BF2 players, because I don't have access to this data. They're random just to give you the idea.

Limited players, based on their score, have more than 100,000 points, awarded on a general basis:
General | 1 player (aka best performing BF2 player)
Lieutenant General | 2 players
Major General | 4 players
Brigadier General | 8 players

based on the % of players above 100,000:
Colonel | 0.5% of players with a score above 100,000
Lieutenant Colonel | 1% of players with a score above 100,000
Major | 2% of players with a score above 100,000
Captain | 4% of players with a score above 100,000
First Lieutenant | 8% of players with a score above 100,000

score based, unlimited slots:
Second Lieutenant | 100,000 points

1 slot:
Sergeant Major of the Corps | Best Performing Sergeant Major, monthly based

unlimited slots:
Sergeant Major/Master Gunnery Sergeant | 50,000 points
First Sergeant/Master Sergeant | 20,000 points
Gunnery Sergeant | 8,000 points
Staff Sergeant | 5,000 points
Sergeant | 2,500points
Corporal | 800 points
LanceCorporal | 500 points
Private First Class | 150 points
Private | 0 points

Gunbound ranking system for comparison:
1 player
4 players
16 players

0.1% of players with a score above 6,900
0.2-1%
2-3%
4-6%
7-10%
11-20%
21-30%
31-50%
51-70%
71-100% of players with a score above 6,900

under 1099

Note: you start with 1000 points

Last edited by Ali (2006-02-01 03:30:32)

Lt.Maverick|Lw|
youve now just been Pwned by the Mavster
+-1|6725
I think they should put a few more ranks in.. as i try an play as much as i can but it will take me 14,000 more points for me sgt mjr and it will take forever for me to get 2nd lt and i think a while for most players and so some ranks in bewteen would be rewarding.
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6835

Ali wrote:

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

mpec82 wrote:

the top20 guys have more or less the same score, if they keep in this way we'll have a lot of officers, i think dice/ea should make more ranks available for only on or more persons at time son we can have for example:

lets say 1-2 generals, 10 colonel and so on

It would be more realistic
And how do you expect them to Decide who gets what rank? There really is no way to do that on an online game.
That's like saying on an MMORPG only one person can be lvl99 at a time.
Gunbound has such a ranking system and it works.
The lower ranks are based on your points, the higher ranks have limited slots or are based on the percentage of players that have more than a certain score. In BF2 this mark would be 200,000 but I lowered the score for 2nd Lt to 100,000 in this example.

This is just a basic idea. The % aren't calculated based on the amount of BF2 players, because I don't have access to this data. They're random just to give you the idea.

Limited players, based on their score, have more than 100,000 points, awarded on a general basis:
General | 1 player (aka best performing BF2 player)
Lieutenant General | 2 players
Major General | 4 players
Brigadier General | 8 players

based on the % of players above 100,000:
Colonel | 0.5% of players with a score above 100,000
Lieutenant Colonel | 1% of players with a score above 100,000
Major | 2% of players with a score above 100,000
Captain | 4% of players with a score above 100,000
First Lieutenant | 8% of players with a score above 100,000

score based, unlimited slots:
Second Lieutenant | 100,000 points

1 slot:
Sergeant Major of the Corps | Best Performing Sergeant Major, monthly based

unlimited slots:
Sergeant Major/Master Gunnery Sergeant | 50,000 points
First Sergeant/Master Sergeant | 20,000 points
Gunnery Sergeant | 8,000 points
Staff Sergeant | 5,000 points
Sergeant | 2,500points
Corporal | 800 points
LanceCorporal | 500 points
Private First Class | 150 points
Private | 0 points

Gunbound ranking system for comparison:
1 player
4 players
16 players

0.1% of players with a score above 6,900
0.2-1%
2-3%
4-6%
7-10%
11-20%
21-30%
31-50%
51-70%
71-100% of players with a score above 6,900

under 1099

Note: you start with 1000 points
That would make it more unfair than the 200k points for 2nd lt! You say you'll never make it now, what if they did this? I could guarantee you that the same top guys would just rotate through those top ranks.
Camp Freddie
+0|6716
I expect they'll reduce the rank requirements with the patch.  Otherwise there'll be little point in officer ranks if you need >200,000 points.  DICE/EA would see it as a waste of time adding a whole new bunch of ranks, just so that a dozen players can get some extra bragging rights.

Anyway, I'm gonna try extra hard to get my knife badge in the next few days though, since I want to be sure I get the 'good' rank if I suddenly get bumped up to 1st Sgt.
[Chill.zone] Link
+0|6716
If they would put in the new general ranks above the 200K what do you expect should the requirements be? If they would higher it like they did before i guess it would look something like this:

2nd Lieutenant - 200K
1st Lieutenant - 300K(?)
Captain - 500K
Major - 750K
Lt. Colonel - 1000K
Colonel - 1500K
Brigadier General - 1750K
Major General - 2500K
Lieutenant General - 3500K
General - 5000K

Noone would ever reach it. Maybe those crazy statspadders, who are playing one accoung with 2-5 guys just to be top of the list, but most of the regular players will never reach 200K anyway. At the time a regular player should reach the general rank there's battlefield 5 on the marked.

My guess is that general will take 1000K (1 million), maybe 1500K and that they will lower 2nd lieutenant to close the 150K gap. So second lieutenant will be awarded at 100K maybe, 1st at 200K captain at 300K and so on. Anyway, the genral ranks will still be for the stats-powergamer. I'll rather play cool mods as soon as they are out.
Daxmann
+0|6712|Denmark
I don't care if there is 100 general.
The fun is to earn some point so you can get a promotion.
That it what i like with the ranking system, but to get 150000 point before you get a promotion is way to much.
I would like to see some more ranks between sgt mjr and Second Lieutenant.
CZE_M4CH0
+0|6791|Boston,MA
there is only like 5000+ player s who have their score above 50k and another 500.000+ players who have their score below 50k! This players have no chance to reach even 200k for the next year or so, and by that time there will be BF3 so I think lowering the ranks and some of the awards...like 4500hours for a medal in SF, would be smart move. I think gaining a new rank every 25k is ok, ofcourse the top 20 players won't like it, as they gain 2000 points a day but who cares about them? I don't have time to play 6 hours a day or more!
It's 500.000+ players against 20!
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6703|New York
So Some here are saying That If you Have No Life But BF2, You should be Elite?

Yah Thats the crowd Id like to hang with,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT!!

Give the Average Gamer a chance. 20-50 thousand is a Joke already for Average players, 50 to 200 thousand Is A crock of Crap for the average gamer. Something in between those ranks Would be a Good thing and Keep People PLAYING the game And Keeping it alive. Do you think Only The socalled Elite Will Keep the Money in EA's Pockets? I Doubt it. Mainly, because they Dont even have servers, They Invade Other servers and Do there thing.

Harry
kontrolcrimson
Get your body beat.
+183|6829|Australia
thats what im worried about. im 29k out and dont want to be promoted over 2lt straight way. ive been playing hard to get there.
spacebandit72
Dead Meat
+121|6732|Michigan
I don't think there should be any (only x amount of players get x rank on any given month) That would mean that anyone may or may not get that rank. The problem I'd have with that is... I bought the game. The game comes with said ranks... they should be obtainable by any regular Joe.
Making them difficult to get is fine but don't make them possibly impossible!
Not that I care to much. The ranks and stuff is cool but... I enjoy playing so... whatever.
airborne916
+24|6667
Why are you guys saying they are going to lower ranks? You cant go any lower thes are ream military ranks and they are not just making them up. I can only see them going higher, like CPT, LTJ, LTC, COL, BG, MG, LTG, GEN and up on rank.
vjs
+19|6772
Why don't people think the ranks for these high point places will be reduced. I think everything less than 20K is just fine. It's doesn't take you long to achieve 20K.

And if you don't play it all the time why do you care...

I think the gap between 20K and 50K is O.K. especially considering the next rank is 200K.

But 50K --> 200K come on that's a little rough.

They have always had this disproportionate growth between the ranks as it should be.

I'm thinking they will do something like...

20K left alone and all ranks less than that... the jump from the previous rank was 8K points I recall.
next rank
40K instead of 50K this is an increase of 20K

after that...

then maybe something like

150 70
500 and every rank 250K points beyond

Sure with this new system I'll skip ranks but hey I think I earned it I'm still stuck with the just go 20K crowd.
vjs
+19|6772
I didn't have my basic knife and pistol I'd make sure to get them before the patch.

Also I think they need some vet requirements for the new ranks.
This will stop padders from ranking up as well.
sinir
damned
+2|6820|Boston
Heh, i took a little break from BF2, well okay about 5 months.  Anyway, i logged in last week, killed one guy and got uber-promoted.  I also noticed all of the badge time req's were lowered substantially, 15ish hours for vet class badges where I think it used to be 100.  It really wouldnt surprise me if they did it again.
vjs
+19|6772
I don't think they will lower any of the vets...

However the Experts are a little high at 100 hrs.

Those could be taken down to 50 hrs if they made a master level (platinum color) at 100 hrs.

-----------

I think EA did a pretty good job as is for the badges and ribbons. Sure you can't get all of them right away but they make you play the classes. Also for myself all of the badges as it stands don't seem too "out of reach".

Example once you have all the basics and some of the vets, other vets become "in range".

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if your going for medals as I do. There always seems to be one to work towards. They were also all difficult to get for that time.

Basics are not that hard... but you have to play the badge to get the badge. Isn't that what basic means anyways.

Basic - yeah I know how to do it and can do it.
Vet - Yup, do the experience I'm pretty good at doing ... now.
Expert - I rock a pistol, use it all the time now. Don't understand why more people don't use it.

Here is where I think a Mastery or Plat badge is needed.

Mastery - Where other people start saying. Wow look at that guy he really good, or put that #$%^&@& pistol away you aim-bot hack.

Example:

30 pistol kills in a round... I think I could do that if I got lucky. When I got my expert I had some of the round left, probably could have got 25 that round not sure...

Heal on the other hand... I don't think I could do more than 28. That's got to be the hardest and you have to get lucky.

Last edited by vjs (2006-02-01 12:35:32)

Fuzzball_the_Shooter
The Photographer.
+81|6706|Central Valley,California

Ali wrote:

Sergeant Major of the Corps is given out on a monthly basis but as soon as he hits the 200,000, he gets promoted to 2nd Lt
The last SMotC in January was VISSTICK[HCP] but he got promoted to 2nd Lt in no time after he has been promoted to SMotC

Unlock topic:
Why do you think you get the two new unlocks for 2nd Lieutenant promotion?
Ever run with the idea that you get the two unlocks for Lance Corporal and Corporal? With SF you get 2 unlocks for every promotion to an "unlock rank" once you are Sergeant. Lance Corporal and Corporal are the only "unlock ranks" you only get one unlock for.

bf2s.com says, I'll make 2nd Lt in 666 days when I keep playing 2.6 hours per day and score 1.64 points per minute. That's SOOOO unreachable. 2.6 hours per day is pretty much I think, so the average player will never reach 2nd Lt.
ZOMG DEVIL NUMBER, DEVIL NUMBER!
DrDestruction
Utilityman
+1|6779

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

DrDestruction wrote:

I don't think the ranking system should be made to allow everyone to be equal.  The people who put more time into the game and play more SHOULD get the higher ranks.

I don't agree with a 150,000 pt difference, but there needs to be a line.

Either way, I could care less.  I've pretty much got the unlocks I want and I will be getting the last two in 500 pts (if I ever bother to boot it up again).
They're adding two more unlocks. So if you're referring to the "last two" at 50,000 points, you'll have two more after that.
I meant the last two I WANTED, not the last two total.  Sorry for the confusion.
Ali
Official Hell Bound Turbo Action Club Member
+17|6711|Gütersloh, Germany

Fuzzball_the_Shooter wrote:

Ali wrote:

Sergeant Major of the Corps is given out on a monthly basis but as soon as he hits the 200,000, he gets promoted to 2nd Lt
The last SMotC in January was VISSTICK[HCP] but he got promoted to 2nd Lt in no time after he has been promoted to SMotC

Unlock topic:
Why do you think you get the two new unlocks for 2nd Lieutenant promotion?
Ever run with the idea that you get the two unlocks for Lance Corporal and Corporal? With SF you get 2 unlocks for every promotion to an "unlock rank" once you are Sergeant. Lance Corporal and Corporal are the only "unlock ranks" you only get one unlock for.

bf2s.com says, I'll make 2nd Lt in 666 days when I keep playing 2.6 hours per day and score 1.64 points per minute. That's SOOOO unreachable. 2.6 hours per day is pretty much I think, so the average player will never reach 2nd Lt.
ZOMG DEVIL NUMBER, DEVIL NUMBER!
]:-> |,,|/

@vjs
"Lower the ranks" is short for "lower the required points for ranks"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard