_MysT1C_Ri|)er_
+4|6176
I have posted here before about my computer being laggy or choppy, but I just found out a new part of it. 

Computer specs are Nvidia 7600, 2 gigs of ram, 2.4 processor, and a 350W PSU.

I want to know if having bad or shitty internet is the cause of my horrible lag.  My internet is 1mbps DSL.  I got these results from speedtest.net.

Download - 157kbps

Upload - 321kbps

I also have a router that is connected to my computer that goes through a laptop (which at the moment isn't being run alot), another desktop computer (rarely on that computer), and XBOX 360 Live (which is on as much as I am playing BF2, which is all day, every day).

So what can be the cause of the lag?  All comments would really help.  Thanks.
maniacmattie
Karma Whore.. LOL
+27|6302
157kbps download on a 1mbps connection?

Sounds pretty good to me!
geNius
..!.,
+144|6443|SoCal
Your download should be about 10x that speed.  Time Warner?
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6445|California
Your upload should never be faster than your download.
Volatile
+252|6705|Sextupling in Empire

What does your ping look like when your playing? If it's under 100-140, and doesn't fluctuate like crazy, then it shouldn't be your internet. If my ping suddenly skyrocketed, it was usually because my roomate was downloading stuff on his pc. So check to make sure the other PCs  on your network are not downloading stuff.
_MysT1C_Ri|)er_
+4|6176
Yea my ping is usually below 100.  Most of the time it is between 20-70.  The other 2 computers don't have anything to do with it because they are always off, but the Xbox live is always on.  Has been downloading things that make my ping go to about 150.

My opinion, its my internet.  Went over to my cousins house to try my computer out, had all settings on high and went to places I could never go to and never lagged.  He also has a router but the computer that it is attached to is never on.  So I think its my internet and the router giving me hell.
Fateless
+36|6243|Jennifer Connellys Pants
Hi mate, what brand of router is it? Does the Xbox "need" to be plugged in when your playing real games?

Fateless.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6526|South Florida

geNius wrote:

Time Warner doesn't serve DSL (Atleast not in the US). Im gunna guess its a smaller less important company. How many other computers are plugged into your internet connection? (Total computers in the house that have internet)

Last edited by Mitch (2007-07-18 11:57:45)

15 more years! 15 more years!
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6569|Mountains of NC

use a rolled up newspaper the next time its bad

https://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/70/30/23113070.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6569|Mountains of NC

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/SEREMAKER/laugh.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
_MysT1C_Ri|)er_
+4|6176
They XBOX is on all the time.  Like every time I play BF2 it is on.  As for the other computers, they are never really on and are disconnected from the internet.  And yes the xbox has to be plugged in because then he will never be able to play it and he plays it all day every day.
mikkel
+383|6602
Sounds more like oversubscription than anything else to me. You should call up your provider and ask if they're having throughput issues in your area. Of course, it's likely that they won't admit it, but it's worth a shot. Alternatively, assuming that you have a seperate DSL modem that isn't built into your router, you should try plugging a computer straight into the modem and do the speed test again from there.

RandomSchl wrote:

Your upload should never be faster than your download.
That very much depends on the connection you have.

Last edited by mikkel (2007-07-18 13:09:07)

_MysT1C_Ri|)er_
+4|6176
Yea I have a modem that is connected to the phone line.  So it has a wire that goes to the modem from the phone line and then another wire that goes from the modem to the router and another wire that goes from the router to my computer.

I have other wires that go to the other things also.
mikkel
+383|6602
Try taking the network cable that goes from your modem to your router, and instead of plugging it into your router, plug it straight into a computer. Then take the speed test.
_MysT1C_Ri|)er_
+4|6176
Alright I'll do that later on when my brother gets off.  Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6176|Sydney | ♥

Well i have the sexact same comp as you...

And my internet is a 512kb/s connection (gotta upgrade)

I live in Aust. and i have NO lag with a 512 connection...

Avg. ping is around 40-80, while on TS on internode...

My suggestion, Backup files, re-install windows, i do this once a year every year, its really amazing

Any Freeware, like sandbox, i put on disc for later use...

So that is the best way,

if you dont want to re-install windows, do many virus scans, there is also a site that can help with windows bugs and stuff, i'll find the link...

Here we go...

http://security-central.us/forums/

Read some of the stickies and stuff, quite easy to read...

Enjoy..., hope you enjoy
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6440|King Of The Islands

tazz. wrote:

My suggestion, Backup files, re-install windows, i do this once a year every year, its really amazing
Best advice yet. I suspect he has crap on his comp stealing bandwidth. That or his wireless is open (if he has one).

And I never thought I'd see the day when an Aussie had a faster connection than an American anyone else. Of course this is only capable when the later connection is crippled beyond use.

Oh and my ping is 12, bitchaz.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
_MysT1C_Ri|)er_
+4|6176
I just recently re installed windows.  Did a reformat about a month ago.
mikkel
+383|6602

Cheez wrote:

tazz. wrote:

Best advice yet. I suspect he has crap on his comp stealing bandwidth.
Not really, no. Very little, if any, malware does much to your downstream bandwidth directly. Malware using your network in most all cases saturates your upstream bandwidth with mail spamming, DDoS attacking and whatever else one could use a zombie node for.

This guy is having his downstream bandwidth zapped, and considering the downstream, the upstream bandwidth measured is probably just as it should be. Providers oversubscribing or having equipment failures and failing over to lower capacity equipment or connections aren't exactly rare occurances, and what this guy is experiencing is very symptomatic of just that.

Last edited by mikkel (2007-07-19 04:50:52)

maniacmattie
Karma Whore.. LOL
+27|6302

geNius wrote:

I'm on adsl2 (24mb) what speed should I be getting?

Last edited by maniacmattie (2007-07-19 04:52:19)

mikkel
+383|6602

maniacmattie wrote:

geNius wrote:

I'm on adsl2 (24mb) what speed should I be getting?
Roughly 22000kbps or around 2.7MiB/sec throughput on a speed test. At those speeds, though, your downloads are typically limited by the capacity or allowances of the server you're downloading from, or the bandwidth available to you from your ISP.

Last edited by mikkel (2007-07-19 06:24:26)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard