Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6705|San Francisco
And yet, FeloniousMonk, our forces aren't fighting American snipers...so the whole American ideaology of a "proper" sniper's role in combat kind of goes out the window.
whittsend
PV1 Joe Snuffy
+78|6769|MA, USA

Marconius wrote:

And yet, FeloniousMonk, our forces aren't fighting American snipers...so the whole American ideaology of a "proper" sniper's role in combat kind of goes out the window.
Not really.  Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the Iraqis understand the role of a sniper in the west (as defined by myself or FeloniousMonk or anyone else) and rejected it.

If they are trying to wound troops to tie up other troops in Iraq, they are fighting a losing battle.  That tactic is only really useful in a high intensity conflict, which Iraq isn't.  In a low intensity conflict, US troops have the luxury of dealing with the wounded and continuing with the mission later.  Casualties would have to be on a massive scale to interfere with US operations because those operations are LOW INTENSITY.  If those troops were all engaged in a large scale battle across a large front, with essential timetables and missions, wounding troops could have a nasty effect.  As it is now, the troops just take care of their buddy, and drive on when that is complete.  The mission can wait, so a few snipers don't have very much of an effect, tactically speaking.

Personally I think they understand the role of a sniper as I defined it VERY well  - morale killer.  They are probably spreading this crap (which I still think is BS, by the way) of some great arab sniper to sow fear.  The video is part of it.  Unfortunately, as I said earlier, for a sniper to be effective at breaking morale, he has to be a good shot.  This is the part they can't seem to get, and it is essential.  When they miss a lot, they get laughed at.

Anyway, more simply than that: Snipers are not an efficient way to cause casualties.  They take much too long to make a kill (patience is as necessary a skill for snipers as marksmanship), and so they don't make many kills over time.  If their primary purpose (as you seem to suggest) is to cause large numbers of casualties, they are a wasted resource.  There are more efficient ways to do it.

Last edited by whittsend (2006-02-01 11:48:17)

WilhelmSissener
Banned
+557|6744|Oslo, Norway
that was a long movie,
wonder how long one would be if it was o every alliend/american kill in the war,

to me this look like BS, he keeps hittingtrees and stuff
FeloniousMonk
+0|6746

Marconius wrote:

Untrue. Snipers in every military of every nation have always followed those doctrines. THe sniper's role is to provide behind-enemy-lines information and to disrupt morale and communications by eliminating high profile and crucial targets.

Insurgents are not stupid and they're not untrained. They understand the concepts of war just as well as anyone else and any good sniper is going to follow the same goals. Wounding is absolutely USELESS for a sniper. If you want to wound, send in a platoon. Snipers are one shot, one kill.

whittsend wrote:

Anyway, more simply than that: Snipers are not an efficient way to cause casualties.  They take much too long to make a kill (patience is as necessary a skill for snipers as marksmanship), and so they don't make many kills over time.
Exactly. Good snipers will scout and track their prey for days at a time, sometimes even weeks. Makes no point to waste all that time as well as a bullet for a mere wound.

Last edited by FeloniousMonk (2006-02-01 12:25:26)

bustamante8151
+0|6681
Mod Edit: No Personal attacks when you haven't even read the rest of the comment.  Thanks for playing, try again next time.

Last edited by Marconius (2006-02-01 13:53:07)

Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6705|San Francisco
Watch it bustamante8151.  I will remind you that this is the Debate and Serious Talk forum, and it doesn't pertain to BF2 at all.

I don't care what military tours you've taken, and you've obviously missed the rest of Nehil's post.  Respond to his original question and points, or don't respond at all.
ArMaG3dD0n
+24|6846|Deutschland/Germany
Quite amusing how you label Nehil as a terrorist and insult him just because he started a discussion about Juba. If you would have actually read some of his posts you would have seen that he is quite pacifistic.
"This isnt't the place for it"? This is the Debate and Serious Talk forum so I guess it IS the right place to discuss something like that. And what about this "probably by some sunni fuckface living in germany (most likely)"?

If I understood you right you are or were in the US army yourself. Stuff like that is making me vote "Yes" in the "Rednecks, poor people and hotheads join the military" vote. Shame on you!
bustamante8151
+0|6681
And you Marconius are obviously from SF Bay area. Don't even attempt to take a scolding tone with me by referring to my "military tours", not only that I'm 9 yrs older than you. You haven't done anything with yourself or your life to take any tone other that of a thankful citizen. Thank me that you can wear your birkenstocks and twill belt while you ride your trollie to work while SOME OF US are over there sacrificing.  BTW get a hair cut and shave that hideous beard. Your look like Napolean Dynamite. Your 21, try and look it.

As for Nehils other post, I'm not a Nehil watch dog... He started this thread knowing the type criticism he (or she) would get. So unless you are an admin here on this site, YOU WATCH IT. Before I put your picture on this site... tough guy.
mpsmith
+5|6683
The sniper kills shown in the beginning of the video are NOT from one sniper. The last video was one where the soldier was shot, fell down, and immediately got back up due to body armor. Shortly thereafter they found the sniper, shot him, gave him medical attention, and arrested him- he's off the street. So yes, this is more propaganda than reality (at least in the context of the claim that it is one sniper).
bustamante8151
+0|6681
Oh wow... you are an admin. You are sooooooo kool! LOL....

I didn't see the forum this was posted in. OBVIOUSLY THIS IS A SERIOUS PLACE FOR ADULT CONVERSATION.

Ahhh armageddon
If I understood you right you are or were in the US army yourself. Stuff like that is making me vote "Yes" in the "Rednecks, poor people and hotheads join the military" vote. Shame on you!

No not army.... Marine; it's ok you are forgiven. So is it your position that the military shouldn't have the sheltered coattail riding rich kids? If the military was as full of rednecks, poor people, and hotheads as you think this war would have been over a long time ago. I take it you are one of the above (sheltered, rich kid, mummy's wittle boy)
ArMaG3dD0n
My position is that you sir are indeed hotheaded because you:
1. are insulting random people
2. label random people as terrorists
3. dont seem to be able to discuss since in a discussion you actually need to read what other people say

Btw. your age which seems to be 30 doesnt count as an argument and doesnt make us respect you in any way
rhodri_d
+-2|6676
That Juba's a twat he picks on easy targets, and films it. not very noble at all.
bustamante8151
+0|6681
Yes armawhatever... a HOTHEAD I am. You would be too if you got out there. But whatever, this is a discussion because you are entertaining my post by presenting your opinion in response to mine. Not insulting random people, just nehil. He wasn't random, he started the post. Marconius attempted to insult my service, so he gets a pie in the face. The arguement wasn't about age, don't respond to my post scolding me as if I was the typical 13yr old in this forum when you are a whopping 21. No No. Anyway, you must be his boyfriend because you come to his rescue. You jumped on his bandwagon when you said
>>>>Btw. your age which seems to be 30 doesnt count as an argument and doesnt make US respect you in any way<<<<<

who said anything about us, I was responding to marconius. Therefore, you too will get a pie in your face.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6782|Atlanta, GA USA
I must say I am confused by Horseman's last post...

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2006-02-01 14:48:22)

ArMaG3dD0n

bustamante8151 wrote:

Not insulting random people, just nehil. He wasn't random, he started the post.
So he deserves to be insulted because he started a thread about some sniper in Iraq asking if we think this is fake or real (later he said that it s most likely just propaganda)?
I mean he didnt say: "Wow cool there s some sniper shooting the fuxxing americans I like him! If i d be him I d do exactly the same!"

I didnt see any "bandwagons" driving past me......

Last edited by ArMaG3dD0n (2006-02-01 15:13:13)

Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6705|San Francisco
Your service does not grant you any permission to personally attack Nehil, nor myself as a "Birkenstock, trill-belt wearing hippie."  And yes, I indeed AM a forum admin, so please follow the site rules and pay attention to what forum you are in (Level-Headed conversation).

And Horseman, I'd appreciate it if you stopped mis-quoting me and/or editing what I have said.
ArMaG3dD0n
Hehe you need to understand Horseman has just learned how to use /quote as previously he always said:
blablasomerandomperson stated:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Horseman replies:

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
bustamante8151
+0|6681
Ahhh thats what makes this country so great! It does grant me permission to do so. Not saying your choice of "sitting this one out " makes you any less of a man (I sense envy in the way you refer to my service). Not everyone is cut out to do certain things. No fault of your own. Just for the record I never said anything about being a hippie, maybe implied it, but that didn't role off of my fingertips. Guilty conscious? Stand proud in those sandals... hell you gotta stand for something right?

Hey armageddon! You couldn't see the bandwagon because your head was on his lap

This is amusing... please keep them coming!
monkeyhunkeytunkey
+2|6753
this video makes me sick how that sick basterd kills with no moral!
2ndLt.Tucker
If you can read this, your already dead
+33|6694|Stillwater, Ok
I was over there this past summer and i don't ever remember hearing about a "Juba".  I was north of baghdad but i don't know i think it might be around the same area this character was in.  As for the sniper i saw alot of shots that were pathetic.  I will admit watching this film did infuriate me and if nothing else I wanted to go over there to kill more of the bastards.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6848

ArMaG3dD0n wrote:

Hehe you need to understand Horseman has just learned how to use /quote as previously he always said:
blablasomerandomperson stated:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Horseman replies:

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Ha !  Man  you totally busted me on that !  I am beet Red in the face as I type.   

I did feel like a Secret agent tho... for a while

ROFLMAO
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6848
on another note isn't it strange how you can read a stat like " 18 dead as XXX responds to Violence in XXX. "

But seeing one mans death effects us so greatly. Hitler said " One will be mourned, 1000 is just a statistic. "

I guess he had something there.

ps cant I please  do the quote thing Please oh please
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6782|Atlanta, GA USA
Hurrah!  Horseman has joined the 21st century!
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6708|Germany

monkeyhunkeytunkey wrote:

this video makes me sick how that sick basterd kills with no moral!
Hmm,I think that guy has a whole big bunch of moral,maybe just not mine or yours....

If you were an insurgent you would probably do the same thing,or the even worse thing - suicidebomber.
But hey,derka derka,it's Jihad..
Matiandos
+2|6696|Lappeenranta, Finland
Viva La Resistance !!

In reality  Juba might be insurgent propagand, and is propably several, not one ex-republican guard snipers.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard