simmy.uk
+117|6439

Been playing guitar on and off for around 5 years. I can do bar chords and simple songs like 'under the bridge', where do I start learning hard stuff so I can do these kinda these  songs. I know it takes alot of practise and dedication but does anyone know what i should do, like intermidiate books eg.

ok thanks for any help.

Last edited by simmy.uk (2007-07-15 17:32:43)

Bruce-SuperNub
SuperNoob
+26|6150|Scotland
Just try searching several places for a DVD tutorial. You know what i mean by places right? If you don't send add me to xfire and I'll show you a few places one might be found.
VaLzbeStoNeD
+17|6137
I've seen this movie before, it's awesome. I wish I could do that.
nonexistentusmc
+26|6446|Queens, NYC
Was the sound of the guitar digitally recorded onto the computer? Either way, that was frickin' awesome!
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6367|California
He's asian therefore, anything is possible
Except im a lazy asian. weeeee.!
simmy.uk
+117|6439
He plugged his guitar into the pc so he can play along to the backing song and record it at the same time.
mafropetee
+18|6145|Altamonte Springs, FL
ive been playing for almost 5 years. im sure i could play cannon without problems... and i know the very beginning. just never bothered to finish learning it.

anyway, get lessons. best way to improve. heres an example: my step bro, alex, is 18. hes been playing since he was like 5. never took lessons. im 17. ive been playing for almost 5 years. ive been taking lessons the whole time. im slightly more skilled than he is.

oo... the video just now got the part where hes using the harmonic minor scale. thats friggen awesome. i dont remember jerryc doing that...

anyway, lessons lessons lessons. ohh, and when your teacher tells you to practice, PRACTICE. A LOT. if you dont you will lose rhythm, and lose interest.

good luck to ya.
Drax
Paddles/Plane Whore
+28|6562|Australia, NSW
ive been playing guitar for less than 2.5 years and can play most of this song (up to the 1:40 to go point) 

how? i always have a guitar in my hands and am learning stuff nonstop, mostly by ear. ive never had a guitar lesson, but by listening to a sound i can go straight to the note

for this song definatly get guitar pro and get the tab for it on that so you can see and hear how its being played, also you'll be very slow at first so just focus on getting the notes in the right order and memorised. then play it again and again for the speed.

my distortion pedal is shit (a ZOOM505II) and ive only got a fender squire and a 15w amp so theres no way i can match his noise

Last edited by Drax (2007-07-15 22:38:27)

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6775|Noizyland

Heh, that's pretty neat. At the moment I've ben playing for 5 years, the best I can play is this.

Not as well as Lindsay Buckingham, and I don't sing, but it still impresses my mates. I'm mostly an acoustic player though and only really pick up my electric to play hard riff-driven rock.

If you've been playing for five years simmy you should already have most of the important stuff, the only other thing you can do is just practice more. If you want a more structured approach try getting advanced lessons in electric guitar from someone.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
cospengle
+140|6488|Armidale, NSW, Australia
If you want to learn to play the kind of stuff in the video you should learn to play scales and practise them over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...well you get the idea. Then you'll be able to pick up new songs much faster.

mafropetee wrote:

anyway, get lessons. best way to improve. heres an example: my step bro, alex, is 18. hes been playing since he was like 5. never took lessons. im 17. ive been playing for almost 5 years. ive been taking lessons the whole time. im slightly more skilled than he is.
Lesson might help too, especially when you're wondering where to start. I never had any proper lessons and I suck . My only 'lessons' were from mates (and free, but you get what you pay for ). Getting someone to show you definately helps, but only if you put in hours of parctise on a REGULAR basis. DVDs and CDs aren't that good if you ask me. You spend more time pausing and rewinding and thinking "WTF! How did they do that?" than you do actually playing. It's far better to have someone sitting next tot you to play along with and learn off.
sexecuti0ner
What kinda guy are you are?
+148|6233
I have some friends that play and from what I can tell, they really only gotten better after looking up tabs of songs they like and learning to play them.  This way you can learn to play with the music you like which probably helps you in the learning process. 

Or you could play Guitar Hero a lot.  I doubt this will actually help, though.
mafropetee

cospengle wrote:

If you want to learn to play the kind of stuff in the video you should learn to play scales and practise them over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...well you get the idea. Then you'll be able to pick up new songs much faster.

mafropetee wrote:

Lesson might help too, especially when you're wondering where to start. I never had any proper lessons and I suck . My only 'lessons' were from mates (and free, but you get what you pay for ). Getting someone to show you definately helps, but only if you put in hours of parctise on a REGULAR basis. DVDs and CDs aren't that good if you ask me. You spend more time pausing and rewinding and thinking "WTF! How did they do that?" than you do actually playing. It's far better to have someone sitting next tot you to play along with and learn off.
before i got lessons i must have went though just about every learning video there is. and very intently. after all that, i was barely any better than i was in the first place. the only good use for instructional solid media is for the blind.

actually, my first guitar teacher quit teaching to start a project to create a method of teaching guitar to the blind. hes an awesome man and i have a lot of respect for him. he taught Matt Heafy of Trivium guitar before me. (sorreh i know this doesnt help the topic. i tend to babble)
mafropetee

sexecuti0ner wrote:

I have some friends that play and from what I can tell, they really only gotten better after looking up tabs of songs they like and learning to play them.  This way you can learn to play with the music you like which probably helps you in the learning process. 

Or you could play Guitar Hero a lot.  I doubt this will actually help, though.
lol no it wont. that game is fun as hell though. i can do freebird on expert w00t go me
Drax
Paddles/Plane Whore
+28|6562|Australia, NSW
yes lesson will help, but only for making you take the time to pick the guitar up more. if you play for hours everyday without lesson, and use the tonnes of resources on the net you can learn easy without lessons.
mafropetee

Drax wrote:

yes lesson will help, but only for making you take the time to pick the guitar up more. if you play for hours everyday without lesson, and use the tonnes of resources on the net you can learn easy without lessons.
well it is different for different people. some really do learn better with personal lessons where a good player sits there with you and shows you, and some learn better on their own, taking in everything at their own pace. but most people i know who have had lessons improve a lot faster than most that i know who havent had lessons.
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6133|Carnoustie, Scotland
JERRY C IS A FAKE ASS BITCH[/rant]
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6757|Hell, p.o box 666

Oh, again, canon rock... Boring piece of guitar wanking imo. Hardest part is the legato sweeping, oh wait, sweeping isnt hard!

How you can do something like that? Well, the speedpicking and sweeping stuff is nothing but praticing for hours, again and again. Start a metronome at around 66 bpm, and play little licks, then increase the speed to 72 bpm and so on. If you can play some nice 16th in 140-160 bpm you´re above average.

Best way to speed up your hands, is nothing but a G-Major pentatonic pattern3 played all the way from 60 to 200 bpm, and always use alternate picking!

Get John Petruccis DVD Rock Discipline, good stuff. Further I recommend you get some DVDs of Paul Gilbert, this guy is a freak, and although the most stuff of his DVDs is out of hell, Paul explains, and even shows how you can play it.

And for Canon Rock, well just download the tabs, and play the song in half the original speed, the increase tempo etc.
mafropetee
Canon might not be hard to you cuz your experienced and to you its a cake walk to play it all the way through. but some people arent ohh so gifted as you are, my friend.

now i can play a LOT of fast solos all the way through without one problem and people ooo and ahh, but i never say "ohh thats easy why cant you play it you loser." for the less skilled and less experienced, its hard to learn a song like that. for those who havent learned sweep picking yet, sweep picking is hard. for those who havent learned tapping yet, tapping is hard. for those who havent built up speed yet, building up speed is hard. dont let skill go to your head. even learning stairway is hard at first to most people. and i dont mean the solo.
Slayer
---hates you

True Mafropetee, but I´d say playing Stairway to heaven needs much more skill and technique than Canon Rock imo. Speed is nothing without controll! Whats the use of a sweep when your tone gets lost? I´d say, better learn a alternate picking than this sweeping stuff.

Every technique is hard to learn and nobody is just as gifted to play just everything without practicing.

Nevermind the whole shredding stuff as long as you havent build a constant and clear tone! This is much more important that doing scaleruns in 32th and even in 8th.

Like I´ve said before, just learn the whole major patterns and practice them in a tempo where you´re able to play every single note as clear as you can. If you can handle this, then increase your speed and start again.

Start soloing to some good old Metallica for example. The solo´s of Kirk Hammet on their black album arent that hard, but will give you a good feeling for scales, tone and technique. If you´re not into metal well, then check some other genre for easy solos and practice them.

And for your info, I might be experienced, but Im not the guy walking to a guitar store to play some beginners against the wall.

Btw, I might be wrong, but I´d say most of the Canon Rock videos on youtube, are faked. Including the one by Jerry C shown above. Just listen to them, most are overwhelmed by delays, phase and flanger fx which sound pretty post recorded. Imo, the stuff is recorded in a slower tempo, and then pimped up by some protools. I for my part havent done a single recording via PC with such a great sound, and I´ve used nearly every recording software aviable, including Line6 models which sound without doubt best.
Z-trooper
BF2s' little helper
+209|6759|Denmark

simmy.uk wrote:

He plugged his guitar into the pc so he can play along to the backing song and record it at the same time.
yea, I got myself a creative X-fi - and its amazing for this purpose! a lot of good options, great sound, some good effects..  I love it..
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York

Z-trooper wrote:

simmy.uk wrote:

yea, I got myself a creative X-fi - and its amazing for this purpose! a lot of good options, great sound, some good effects..  I love it..
Yeah that's what I was figuring he used too. Front bay control panels ftw.
Slayer
---hates you

Well, sry to be the party breaker again, but I´ve read on Jerry C´s site once that he used a Line6 tone port and Live5.0 to record it... So I dont think he used a X-Fi at all, which, as I got one myself, arent too good for audiorecordings.
CosmoKramer
CC you in October
+131|6620|Medford, WI

Sl4y3r wrote:

Well, sry to be the party breaker again, but I´ve read on Jerry C´s site once that he used a Line6 tone port and Live5.0 to record it... So I dont think he used a X-Fi at all, which, as I got one myself, arent too good for audiorecordings.
The Line 6 is unbelievable.  My bro has it and it allows you to replicate any sound you want.  Just type in JerryC-Canon and it gives you the sound that JerryC used on Canon, its unbelievable.  Of course you have to be able to play it, but its great if you are an experienced guitar player.
mafropetee

Sl4y3r wrote:

Stairway to heaven needs much more skill and technique than Canon Rock imo
lol stairway was THE easiest song for me to learn. and it was one of my first songs too. i only play it when my mom makes me play for family, cuz its something they recognize. its soooooo boring IMO.
_MysT1C_Ri|)er_
+4|6176
Hell I would like to just learn how to play a guitar instead of playing Guitar Hero all the damn time.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard