sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6728|Argentina
Russia suspends arms control pact

BBC wrote:

Mr Putin signed a decree citing "exceptional circumstances" affecting security as the reason for the move.

Russia has been angered by US plans to base parts of a missile defence system in Poland and the Czech Republic.

The 1990 Conventional Forces in Europe Treaty (CFE) limits the number of heavy weapons deployed between the Atlantic Ocean and the Urals mountains.

The suspension is not a full-scale withdrawal - but it means that Russia will no longer permit inspections or exchange data on its deployments.

The allies consider this treaty to be an important cornerstone of European security," James Appathurai said.

He added that the move was "a disappointing step in the wrong direction".

Russia's suspension of its application of the treaty is yet another sign of a worsening relationship between the US and Russia.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum
Hmm. Sounds bad. Maybe the US need to pay more attention to what Russia have to say
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

fatherted13 wrote:

Hmm. Sounds bad. Maybe the US need to pay more attention to what Russia have to say
Have proof they are not paying attention?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire

usmarine2005 wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

Have proof they are not paying attention?
Russia are just behaving the same way the US did when Russia wanted to set up missiles on Cuba, I'm not surprised they are worried, especially since the US seems to be more belligerent now than they ever have been since WWII.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6376|North Carolina
I know what you're saying, Braddock, but Putin is even worse than Bush.  Russia is one of the only reasons why I'm not a total isolationist.  We should keep an eye on the Russians (and the Pakistanis).
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire

Turquoise wrote:

I know what you're saying, Braddock, but Putin is even worse than Bush.  Russia is one of the only reasons why I'm not a total isolationist.  We should keep an eye on the Russians (and the Pakistanis).
I don't trust Putin as far as I can throw him but what you just said about Russia ...that's what most of the world thinks about the USA these days. If you get a missile system that allows you to hit all of us in Europe, Russia and the Middle East it really will be check mate.
Turquoise
O Canada
Isn't Russia pursuing a missile system with similar capabilities?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6526
Fair play to Russia. It's all very well the US 'reassuring' them about missile defence but 20 years down the line the US could pose a realistic threat to Russian security. They have to keep pace with the other superpowers - the US and China.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6295|New Haven, CT
What would the U.S. have to gain from attacking Russia?
LT.Victim
+1,175|6533|British Columbia, Canada

nukchebi0 wrote:

What would the U.S. have to gain from attacking Russia?
Oil, resources?
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6418|Boulder, CO
Yelling Owned down the phone to the kremlin would be nice too.
dill13
+67|6164

Its about time Russia shoved one of these weapons treaties back in the face of the US what goes around comes around.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6615

dill13 wrote:

Its about time Russia shoved one of these weapons treaties back in the face of the US what goes around comes around.
that'll show us
https://www.publicedcenter.org/images/mushroom-cloud.jpg

dumb ass

so mutually assured destruction is a good thing in your eyes, eh?

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-07-14 16:58:40)

dubbs
+105|6603|Lexington, KY
I may be wrong, but was it not Puntin that stated he wanted to bring back the USSR?
Turquoise
O Canada

dubbs wrote:

I may be wrong, but was it not Puntin that stated he wanted to bring back the USSR?
No kidding...  we make a big deal out of Iran, but Russia and Pakistan are the real threats to us these days.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6685|US
The thing is that ABMs are designed to shoot down ballistic missiles.  They're not exactly a first strike weapon.

Granted, Russia still sees them as a threat because it would limit their ability to wage WWIII, should it ever come to that...in other words, it weakens their ability to throw around their nuclear arsenal in a debate.

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2007-07-14 18:34:27)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6194|Escea

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

dill13 wrote:

that'll show us
http://www.publicedcenter.org/images/mushroom-cloud.jpg

dumb ass

I've often wondered how the cameras survived in those explosions when nothing else did, maybe its a sign, during a nuclear attack hide in a camera.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6685|US
They were shielded behind lead walls.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6194|Escea

This is what I mean, wherever these cameras are they're attached to something extremely well built.

Also for the start of the video

'Behold the bringer of light.' .
dill13
+67|6164

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

dill13 wrote:

that'll show us

dumb ass

the point i was making is that the US signs a weapons treaty along with russia and imediatly starts breaking it but now its a big deal that russia starts doing the same thing just to protect itself not procure more weapons of mass destruction just trying to match the US's ability to stop them.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6615

dill13 wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

dill13 wrote:

that'll show us

dumb ass

the point i was making is that the US signs a weapons treaty along with russia and imediatly starts breaking it but now its a big deal that russia starts doing the same thing just to protect itself not procure more weapons of mass destruction just trying to match the US's ability to stop them.
and the point I was making is that nuclear fallout doesnt recognize national borders.

especially countries that neighbor other countries that have big fat red target dots on a map in moscow.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-07-14 19:32:14)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard