Rofl_My_Waffle
+11|6696
ATI's new x1900xtx owned Nvidia's 7800 GTX
BEE_Grim_Reaper
+15|6711|Germany
Well.... if you have the money to buy it, do so.... as far as I know, the cost of the card is 1.5 times the cost of the NVidia... plus: ATI drivers still suck (even a ATI certified software engineer whom I happen to know says that)
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6759
I opened my computer up the other day & in the graphics card slot I found a silicone board with 'IOU One Graphics Card' written on it in solder & transistors, was quite dissapointing
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6775|AUS, Canberra

BEE_Grim_Reaper wrote:

Well.... if you have the money to buy it, do so.... as far as I know, the cost of the card is 1.5 times the cost of the NVidia... plus: ATI drivers still suck (even a ATI certified software engineer whom I happen to know says that)
here the ati is selling for 900 and the nvidia for 1300
Maj.Do
+85|6756|good old CA
Well even though ATi is winning and im a fanboy i have to say Nvidia is owning, they can reseacrh and release a new card almost every 6 months.  The ATi cards almost have the same designs and stuff and still 16 pipes which i forgot how allows them to have higher clock speeds.  On the other hand Nvidia has like 24 so yea, sadly as a fanboy of ati i have to say there owning.  If u really cant wait for next generation cards like the g71 then buy a x1900XTX.  My friend has 1 and its great.  but 7800GT seems cheaper to me so if you like to save money go for the 7800GT.  Not sure about GTX prices

Edit:  U cant compare the 2 cause the X1800 was made to go against the 7800GTX , Now the G71 is made to go against the XTX

Last edited by Maj.Do (2006-01-31 21:00:06)

Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6676
Yea this always happens, then Nvidia drops something better and makes ATI look like the little red headed step child they are.

O btw, was this a benchmark test or a game test?  Because ATI does consistantly beat Nvidia in benchmark test, however gets beat in gaming aplications (So Nvidia FTW!)
chitlin
Banned
+36|6767
7800gtx = 400

x1900xtx = 600-700

retarded comparison
Zanzura
Shallow and Pedantic
+2|6676|Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Maj.Do wrote:

Well even though ATi is winning and im a fanboy i have to say Nvidia is owning, they can reseacrh and release a new card almost every 6 months.  The ATi cards almost have the same designs and stuff and still 16 pipes which i forgot how allows them to have higher clock speeds.  On the other hand Nvidia has like 24 so yea, sadly as a fanboy of ati i have to say there owning.  If u really cant wait for next generation cards like the g71 then buy a x1900XTX.  My friend has 1 and its great.  but 7800GT seems cheaper to me so if you like to save money go for the 7800GT.  Not sure about GTX prices

Edit:  U cant compare the 2 cause the X1800 was made to go against the 7800GTX , Now the G71 is made to go against the XTX
I believe waffle meant that the ATI x1900xtx is better than Nvidia's 7800GTX 512 MB

Stealth42o wrote:

Yea this always happens, then Nvidia drops something better and makes ATI look like the little red headed step child they are.

O btw, was this a benchmark test or a game test?  Because ATI does consistantly beat Nvidia in benchmark test, however gets beat in gaming aplications (So Nvidia FTW!)
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc. … 79&p=7
Maj.Do
+85|6756|good old CA

Zanzura wrote:

Maj.Do wrote:

I believe waffle meant that the ATI x1900xtx is better than Nvidia's 7800GTX 512 MB

Stealth42o wrote:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc. … 79&p=7
it is better but im sure the g71 will beat it.
BEE_Grim_Reaper
+15|6711|Germany

the_heart_attack wrote:

BEE_Grim_Reaper wrote:

here the ati is selling for 900 and the nvidia for 1300
Never thought, that Australia was that expensive...

As a comparison:

Germany

Nvidia 7800GTX /w 256MB   489 Euro = 784 AUD
Nvidia 7800GTX /w 512MB   669 Euro = 1.073 AUD
ATI AX1900XTX /w 512 MB  699 Euro = 1.121 AUD

And these are the higher priced cards.... Usually, you can get good cards for a price between 200 and 400 Euro.
TheGreatTykos
+3|6728|Berea, OH
ATI is in no way better than nVidia.

I bought an x850 xt over the summer and I sold it as soon as I could it sucked so bad.  ATI has the worst drivers ever.  ATI only makes cards to have slightly higher specs than the top nVidia card but then within 6 months nVidia comes out with something that beats that ATI card into the ground.  Plus ATI is always playing catch-up (can you say SLI?).  I'll never buy another ATI card again.
Souljah
+42|6672

Maj.Do wrote:

hes right. the x1800 was made to go against the 7800gtx. we'll have to wait and see how the new nvidia card is (7900 ?) to see if the new ati card is the top leader.
Maj.Do
+85|6756|good old CA

TheGreatTykos wrote:

I bought an x850 xt over the summer and I sold it as soon as I could it sucked so bad.  ATI has the worst drivers ever.  ATI only makes cards to have slightly higher specs than the top nVidia card but then within 6 months nVidia comes out with something that beats that ATI card into the ground.  Plus ATI is always playing catch-up (can you say SLI?).  I'll never buy another ATI card again.
If ati can reseacrh more they can become better.  Its like a bum vs a genius scenario. 
anyways viva la ATI

Edit: x1900  and 7900, both got the 900 in em.  strange

Last edited by Maj.Do (2006-01-31 21:35:03)

psychotoxic187
+11|6714

Maj.Do wrote:

TheGreatTykos wrote:

If ati can reseacrh more they can become better.  Its like a bum vs a genius scenario. 
anyways viva la ATI

Edit: x1900  and 7900, both got the 900 in em.  strange
Would you stop saying "ATI needs to do research"? Read about their new architecture. They might have only 16 pipelines, but each pipeline has 3 pixel shader processors. ATI is always ahead in 3D processing. It will always go back and forth between the 2 companies. But, to say one or the other sucks, is just ignorant. The new line is ATI's answer to the 7800gtx 512, then Nvidia will release the G71,and beat ATI, then ATI will release it's R600, with unified shaders, yeah new technology, and beat them again.
Mabec
Re-Member-Me
+6|6836
doesnt x1900 have 48pixelpipelines?
OaksMokedBacon
+0|6712|Dundee, Scotland
people complain about the ATI drivers why? jsut go download the Omega drivers from Guru3d. they are easily on par with the NVidia ones.

Anyway drivers make only small differences to performance. Most performance problems occur due to hardware ie. bottlenecking of data cos your CPU is slow, or the RAM isnt quick enough, or your still on an ATA HDD (like me ).
Fahrenheit
+0|6783
Its just a ploy to get u all to spend ur money on uneeded graphics cards, how many people buy a top of the range card and only use it for playing a £30 game on? as soon as you get one top card 2 months later another pops up making urs seem crap...im still using a GFX5700 ultra, ATi v Nvidia...Pentium v Athlon as long as what u got does the job who cares...like matey above says too many other things can affect overall performance....like cheap teabags! or nylon carpets, hot curry, ...............................................erm what was the question again?????????....2 lumps please!
OaksMokedBacon
+0|6712|Dundee, Scotland
cheap tea bags are sacrilage PG all the way!
BEE_Grim_Reaper
+15|6711|Germany

OaksMokedBacon wrote:

people complain about the ATI drivers why? jsut go download the Omega drivers from Guru3d. they are easily on par with the NVidia ones.

Anyway drivers make only small differences to performance. Most performance problems occur due to hardware ie. bottlenecking of data cos your CPU is slow, or the RAM isnt quick enough, or your still on an ATA HDD (like me ).
It should not be neccessary to use modified 3rd Party drivers for a piece of hardware. It is a fact, that ATI still did not manage to publish a driver that is stable. It is not about performance, it is about stability.... and ATI drivers tend to crash a lot.
psychotoxic187
+11|6714

BEE_Grim_Reaper wrote:

OaksMokedBacon wrote:

It should not be neccessary to use modified 3rd Party drivers for a piece of hardware. It is a fact, that ATI still did not manage to publish a driver that is stable. It is not about performance, it is about stability.... and ATI drivers tend to crash a lot.
That is not fact, only opinion. My ATI drivers work perfect, and I have never had any problems with them. Maybe, your driver got corrupt during install. It's not always the driver.
CC-Marley
+407|6833
Never really had issues with Ati cat drivers that I can tell. I always update them when new ones come out. The 6.1 work great. As did the earlier cats. Only improvement I noticed was the night vision graphics on SF. Maybe I just don't see problems. Maybe I've never had them. Only issue with ATI was the 850pro agp. Not compatilble with Dell 8250. 9700pro worked great, as does my Bfg 6800gtoc, and my 800xt, and my 850xt.
BEE_Grim_Reaper
+15|6711|Germany

psychotoxic187 wrote:

BEE_Grim_Reaper wrote:

OaksMokedBacon wrote:

That is not fact, only opinion. My ATI drivers work perfect, and I have never had any problems with them. Maybe, your driver got corrupt during install. It's not always the driver.
I don't use ATI for BF2....
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6770|Cambridge (UK)

OaksMokedBacon wrote:

cheap tea bags are sacrilage PG all the way!
PG sux! Twinnings have twice as many perforations and their new unified flavour architecture rox!
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6852|"Frisco"

OaksMokedBacon wrote:

As someone else pointed out, default drivers (even if slower) ought to be stable. And by stable, I mean that last ATI card I had couldn't run Unreal. It would cause random crashes left right and center. Unbelievably unstable.

OaksMokedBacon wrote:

Anyway drivers make only small differences to performance.
In a generaly sense, that is true -- but get the wrong drivers, and you *will* see a difference -- especially when matching newer/older driver/cards -- sometimes in the near 20fps range.

I've never been a fan of ATI, my personal experience with their cards has been that you get a far less entertaining experience at a higher price. Perhaps they are ahead in raw benchs for the next 4 months, but quality of all my ATI experience points to "fuck if I care for the extra 30fps". I'd rather dual up on some 7800's anyday.
BEE_Grim_Reaper
+15|6711|Germany
Especially if you get 2 of them and team them up in SLI... though ATI has copied that to some extent, NVidia SLI still works better.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard