Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

_j5689_ wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Does this mean a price drop in P4s also?  Just curious because I can only use those and i've been meaning to get this: http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=110
Probably not, but....

Do you really care?

Does anyone really care?

Why the hell would anyone want to buy a P4? One of the most fundamentally flawed architectures ever - P4s are shit.
Because I can't afford anything else except for some sort of Celeron and those are even worse so P4 it is until I get a job and even then it'll take for fucking ever to get a new comp.
Then why bother upgrading at all? Presumably you have a P4, having a slightly less crap one won't make any difference - unless it was one of the later, less rubbish ones (which you probably can't use anyway).

If it matters that much to you and you're that poor, I'd get the fastest Celeron you can find and OC the hell out of it. You never know it might go ok.

Spending $60 on a CPU isn't going to boost your performance a lot, at all. Probably a total waste of money in fact.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Winston_Churchill wrote:

What would be better for gaming - q6600 or 6850?  I'm guessing th e6850 but why?
Higher clocks and quad cores aren't exactly necessary now.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
OmniDeath
~
+726|6644

Winston_Churchill wrote:

What would be better for gaming - q6600 or 6850?  I'm guessing th e6850 but why?
not many games make use of multi core cpu ive heard... that may be why. but ive heard newer games like crysis will benefit from 4 core cpus
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6493|N. Ireland

Winston_Churchill wrote:

This is a dilemma I am facing too. I've outweighed the pros to the cons (for Q6600):

Pros:
- Quad-Core Architecture;
- Should last longer;
- Twice as much cache (8MB Total L2) than E6850.

Cons:
- Dual-Core is hardly being used for gaming, so Quad-Core gaming seems unlikely for a while, by which you will have to upgrade;
- Lower clock speed than E6850;
- Lower FSB (1066MHz compared to 1333MHz on E6850).

Last edited by leetkyle (2007-06-27 08:40:58)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

I would honestly just go for the E6850 now. The Q is a beast, but it's unecessary.
The#1Spot
+105|6540|byah

Bertster7 wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Probably not, but....

Do you really care?

Does anyone really care?

Why the hell would anyone want to buy a P4? One of the most fundamentally flawed architectures ever - P4s are shit.
Because I can't afford anything else except for some sort of Celeron and those are even worse so P4 it is until I get a job and even then it'll take for fucking ever to get a new comp.
Then why bother upgrading at all? Presumably you have a P4, having a slightly less crap one won't make any difference - unless it was one of the later, less rubbish ones (which you probably can't use anyway).

If it matters that much to you and you're that poor, I'd get the fastest Celeron you can find and OC the hell out of it. You never know it might go ok.

Spending $60 on a CPU isn't going to boost your performance a lot, at all. Probably a total waste of money in fact.
With a budget to only be able to afford a P4 you are better off buying a video card.
The#1Spot
+105|6540|byah

OmniDeath wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

not many games make use of multi core cpu ive heard... that may be why. but ive heard newer games like crysis will benefit from 4 core cpus
In about 6months all games should support dual core processors. The reason crysis supports 4cores i believe is to be able to support the full processor market and to impress the consumer. It also costs a lot for the extra technology put into the game for that kind of support.
xRBLx
I've got lovely bunch of coconuts!!
+27|6355|England - Kent
im so waiting till next now till i order my new rig.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6493|N. Ireland

Zimmer wrote:

I would honestly just go for the E6850 now. The Q is a beast, but it's unecessary.
They are the exact same price. So, I'd go for it (personal choice).
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6736|Salt Lake City

I have the Q6600 @ 2.8GHz, and I'm loving it.  Supreme Commnader will make use of 4 cores, but more than gaming I love being able to multi-task like there is no tomorrow.  I have run an AVI to MPEG2 conversion in Pinnacle Studio, while encoding/burning a DVD in Nero, scanning my computer for spyware, playing music in Rhapsody, and browsing the web, all at the same time.  The system never hesitated once.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6443|Stealth City, UK

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

I have the Q6600 @ 2.8GHz, and I'm loving it.  Supreme Commnader will make use of 4 cores, but more than gaming I love being able to multi-task like there is no tomorrow.  I have run an AVI to MPEG2 conversion in Pinnacle Studio, while encoding/burning a DVD in Nero, scanning my computer for spyware, playing music in Rhapsody, and browsing the web, all at the same time.  The system never hesitated once.
An E6600 would do that without a problem too. An anti-virus puts more stress on the hard drive rather than the CPU.
David.P
Banned
+649|6274

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

David.Podedworny wrote:

When's penrym coming out?
That is Penryn I think.
Nope penrym will have different series numbers and it's supposed to be out in september or october.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

David.Podedworny wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

David.Podedworny wrote:

That is Penryn I think.
Nope penrym will have different series numbers and it's supposed to be out in september or october.
I think it's September, coz that's when the other price drop is coming.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

David.Podedworny wrote:

That is Penryn I think.
IIRC Penryn is the 45Nm chips, and I think that's not being released till Q1 2008. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

ghettoperson wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

David.Podedworny wrote:

That is Penryn I think.
IIRC Penryn is the 45Nm chips, and I think that's not being released till Q1 2008. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah you're right, I just thought Intel would've had them out by now =/
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

Christ those are nice prices. Why can't they slash the prices today? We all know when it's happening, so why the suspense?

And would it honestly be worth it to wait for these, or is it better to just get an E6600 and overclock it till it cries?
Yes it would. Those new chips Overclock like OMFG.

http://vr-zone.com/?i=5089

Omfg low volt high OC
How have they got an unlocked multi on that chip? Surely most people won't have that?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

ghettoperson wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

Christ those are nice prices. Why can't they slash the prices today? We all know when it's happening, so why the suspense?

And would it honestly be worth it to wait for these, or is it better to just get an E6600 and overclock it till it cries?

Omfg low volt high OC
How have they got an unlocked multi on that chip? Surely most people won't have that?
Engineering samples have unlocked multipliers.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Omfg low volt high OC
Engineering samples have unlocked multipliers.
Bastards. Didn't notice the second page though, a 640Mhz FSB is rather impressive.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Sweet news. I'll be ordering one for an office computer.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
CommieChipmunk
+488|6570|Portland, OR, USA
k, i have an e6600 so  haven't really been thinking of upgrading at all, however some of that stuff is really cheap.  Will penrym still be a LGA 775 socket or will it have new architecture?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

CommieChipmunk wrote:

k, i have an e6600 so  haven't really been thinking of upgrading at all, however some of that stuff is really cheap.  Will penrym still be a LGA 775 socket or will it have new architecture?
Isn't Penryn going to be for laptops?

Yorkfield is what we want.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Bertster7 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Penryn is for desktop. Penryn will defiantly need a new motherboard coz it's 45nm.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Penryn is for desktop. Penryn will defiantly need a new motherboard coz it's 45nm.
Penryn will still use LGA-775, not to say that it'll work. It needs the proper VRM implementation. Not sure which support it (if any, currently), but at least a few will come.
[PTG]shogun
PS n00b & proud vista user
+44|6432

OmniDeath wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

crysis will, alan wake will and so will HL2 EP2, portal and TF2 and many other valve games (these are just the ones i know off)
dual and quad were so close together in relese that they jumped straight to letting the game utilise however many cores the processor has (least thats what valve are doing), 8 will be out soon lol

perryen runs on P35(95 maby  or somthing) , motherboards
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6443|Stealth City, UK

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Penryn will still use LGA-775, not to say that it'll work. It needs the proper VRM implementation. Not sure which support it (if any, currently), but at least a few will come.
The P35 MOBOs have been out for a while, they're the only ones that support 45nm at the moment. I think the next type to support are X38 and G38 (correct me if Im wrong about the exact names).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard