usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

I r a stoopid grunt.  Pass me my drool cup.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6730|Sydney, Australia

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Err, I think you were supposed to say "your" apostrophes...
As were you in the post he quoted.

Just drop it, or I'll temp ban you!
san4
The Mas
+311|6697|NYC, a place to live

RicardoBlanco wrote:

san4 wrote:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Furthemore, and as if to prove my point, you're spelling is atrocious!
You appear to have some trouble with you're apostrophes.
Err, I think you were supposed to say "your" apostrophes...
Sorry, didn't realize you were too slow to figure that one out.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6577|Oxford
I'm not talking about arrogance and frankly I'm bored with this now. If you send badly trained, ill educated people into a combat zone and let them get shot at they are going to do horrible things and come home with more than a tour of duty medal. Simple and quite obvious. British troops are far more professional and it's no coincidence we managed to pretty much colonise the world and leave said countries feeling that we'd ultimately helped them. Why can't you do the same?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

RicardoBlanco wrote:

I'm not talking about arrogance and frankly I'm bored with this now. If you send badly trained, ill educated people into a combat zone and let them get shot at they are going to do horrible things and come home with more than a tour of duty medal. Simple and quite obvious. British troops are far more professional and it's no coincidence we managed to pretty much colonise the world and leave said countries feeling that we'd ultimately helped them. Why can't you do the same?
Did you forget Northern Ireland?  Falklands?  Africa?

So fist yourself.
imortal
+240|6674|Austin, TX

RicardoBlanco wrote:

I'm not being nationalist and certainly not in it's basest form, that'd be US troops screaming "fuck yeah, go america" as they shoot at Iraqi civilians.

As for there being less British troops in Iraq, that's true and if you want to extrapolate levels of abuse based on percentages of troops who are US or British then go for it. I still stand by what I said.

Levels of civility are not based on nationality, rather education. Your troops behave in a less civilised way because, on the whole, there are not as educated. It might be painful for you but it's true. Furthemore, and as if to prove my point, you're spelling is atrocious!
It is very true that my spelling is sometimes lacking.  Sometimes it is that I am in a rush, and I do not proofread or spellcheck.  Sometimes it is because I really have a bit of trouble spelling.  School was so very long ago.  Also, my typing skills may not be up to snuff, being self-taught.  And sometimes, there is a slight difference in spellings between American and British spellings.

As for your claim not to be nationalistic, you boldly cliam that American troops are not as intelligent, as educated, or as civilized as British troops.  You claim the abberant behavior of American troops is the result of this, but that does not constitute any kind of proof.  So, as your little bio under your name shows you from Oxford.  You, being British, claim that British soldiers being superior to American soldiers, not through training, but by being more intelligent, better educated, and more civilized IS, by its very nature, nationalistic.

Oh, and to your first statement; I trust you are being hypothetical.  Or do you actually think that has happened?
imortal
+240|6674|Austin, TX

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Oh, I get it.  You are a troll.  I understand now.  You simply want us to argue with you.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6188
Blanco...you are probably one of the most ignorant, RACIST persons I have met....all you have to do is look at your sig.........

"I'm not racist. Racism is a crime and crime is for black people"

to see what type of person you truly are. Doesn't take long to spot someone who is really in left field or not the sharpest pencil in the box. So you can spell words nicely, but obviously your brain stops working there.

To say that American soldiers are any less intelligent than any other soldier in any other country is utter nonsense and totally ignorant. I have relatives in the military. My family history is very military involved. Grandfather fought in WW2 and received 2 purple hearts. I have relatives who fought in Korea, Vietnam and have served in peace time and every single one of them were intelligent, hard working, good family men. I also knew a soldier who died in Iraq just recently. This kid was a very smart young man. He studied abroad in his high school time and he chose to go into the military because he felt it was his duty to do so. He didn't need money, his family was well off, he just wanted to make a difference.

So your statement is very offensive to many people I know. Also, our military has some of the most high tech weapons, systems...etc. in the world and you must be intelligent to run this equipment. A machine or computer can do so much, a human has to input and finish the job to make it all come together. Not everyone is a genius and you prove it by your own words.

Finally, just take a look at history. Look at how the Japanese soldiers treated the Chinese, look at how they treated many places they occupied. Look at what the Iraqi soldiers did in Kuwait. Look at what EVERY army has done in history and you will see crimes by them ALL. America is not immune to it and neither is your country. You think that only an American soldier has raped?? You, my friend are so focused on your hate that your intelligence has taken a dump. Grow up and post something that shows you might have a little intelligence beyond spelling, because spelling only goes so far.

Last edited by DeathBecomesYu (2007-07-13 20:04:29)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina

usmarine2005 wrote:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Did you forget Northern Ireland?  Falklands?  Africa?

So fist yourself.
No kidding...  While it is true that some areas of the world would currently be better off if a European nation was running them, this is only the result of the colonizing nations making the colonized dependent on their trade.  This trend has even extended into the present day to a great extent.

One could even say that America has been doing some of this through multinational corporations.

Simply put, the world would be a much better place today if the Age of Colonization had never occurred.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6577|Oxford
God I really am bored now. I went to Oxford university before you question my levels of intelligence. You try and get in. I'm done with this thread and if you still don't believe what I say why not ask the rest of the world who have reached the same conclusion. I'm sure the war in Iraq will all end swimmingly and all your troops will come home mentally fit with glowing references from the Iraqi population!

Lol, debate and serious talk! Try the Oxford Union for some proper debate.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6188

RicardoBlanco wrote:

God I really am bored now. I went to Oxford university before you question my levels of intelligence. You try and get in. I'm done with this thread and if you still don't believe what I say why not ask the rest of the world who have reached the same conclusion. I'm sure the war in Iraq will all end swimmingly and all your troops will come home mentally fit with glowing references from the Iraqi population!

Ohhhh....ahhhh....Oxford....who cares. Honestly I know a lot of people who are very intelligent but are naive about life and it is obvious that you fit the latter. It is obvious that you think that you are better than everyone, that your country is better than all others, that your military is the "best" and as pure as a baby's ass and you probably think white people are better than all other races, especially black people.

If you were intelligent, you would not put such a statement under your sig in a gaming forum. Oh yes....that sounds like someone from Oxford! I bet Oxford would be so proud of you....LOL.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Ok professor...

"New Ministry of Defence (MoD) figures reveal 2,123 servicemen and women have been treated for mental health conditions after returning from Iraq since 2003."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/arti … article.do

"The brother of Jamie Cooper, the injured soldier reportedly forced to spend a night lying in his own faeces while recovering in hospital, has said that all soldiers deserved better treatment"

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/mailFrame … ge_id=1770
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6723|US
BS, Blanco

Provide some numbers if you are going to make claims like that!

The US military is better educated than our general population.  I know quite a few enlisted soldiers that have gone to universities or technical schools.  Unless you are prepared to back up your statements with hard numbers, cut out your crap.

Yes, you are being overtly nationalist, arguing with logical flaws, and making statements with no clarifications or framing.

________
edit

Wow, you went to Oxford! (quakes in fear of your wisdom)  If you want to convince people, you should put some of the logic (which you hopefully experienced there) to use, rather than beat people over the head with a name.  You may be able to belittle a few around here with your stellar education, but it gets you nowhere in a serious debate.  Some of my friends go to spectacular universities too, but that does not change the arguments they make.

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2007-07-13 20:42:46)

Turquoise
O Canada

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Ah yes...  the Ivory Tower effect...  The most intelligent people in this world are immune to this mindset because they can see beyond their own ego.

There are some things that cannot be learned in books, and you sir, are in great need of them.  Wisdom cannot be bought or taught.

Aside from this, I agree that Iraq is hopeless and we need to leave.  However, remember that soldiers don't make the policy; they just follow orders.  You can't blame them for the stupid decisions that their leaders have made in recent years.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6653
with one little line of muck, this guy takes away the whole thread
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6694|United States of America

Turquoise wrote:

Ah yes...  the Ivory Tower effect...  The most intelligent people in this world are immune to this mindset because they can see beyond their own ego.

There are some things that cannot be learned in books, and you sir, are in great need of them.  Wisdom cannot be bought or taught.

Aside from this, I agree that Iraq is hopeless and we need to leave.  However, remember that soldiers don't make the policy; they just follow orders.  You can't blame them for the stupid decisions that their leaders have made in recent years.
Damn, you are amazing. Academic elitism FTL, though. Actually, there was a hint of national elitism in there, too.

Last edited by DesertFox- (2007-07-13 21:03:57)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

with one little line of muck, this guy takes away the whole thread
muck?  I would say he had more than one line of shit.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6577|Oxford

RAIMIUS wrote:

The US military is better educated than our general population.
That's frightening, but going by some of the posts here that statement really doesn't surprise me at all and I certainly won't argue with it. Turquoise is the only one with anything intelligent to say so far and to you I say no, the soldiers don't make the 'stupid' decisions but that doesn't stop them from acting in a professional manner; so what does?

Gunslinger, I've read your posts over the last year and a half or so and quite frankly you epitomise what I consider a typical US grunt. 'Morally flexible'? I sure as hell wouldn't want to give you the responsibility of 'liberating' a nation let alone give you a gun!
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6577|Oxford
By the way my sig is a quote from Chris Rock...because it's funny.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

RicardoBlanco wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

That's frightening, but going by some of the posts here that statement really doesn't surprise me at all and I certainly won't argue with it. Turquoise is the only one with anything intelligent to say so far and to you I say no, the soldiers don't make the 'stupid' decisions but that doesn't stop them from acting in a professional manner; so what does?

Gunslinger, I've read your posts over the last year and a half or so and quite frankly you epitomise what I consider a typical US grunt. 'Morally flexible'? I sure as hell wouldn't want to give you the responsibility of 'liberating' a nation let alone give you a gun!
I see you ignore my post.

Just pointing that out.  Please continue.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6454|The Land of Scott Walker
I trust the men I know in the US military to both liberate a nation and carry a gun.  Berating the intelligence of men brave enough to face enemy fire is about as far as one can get from manliness, Blanco.
Turquoise
O Canada

RicardoBlanco wrote:

By the way my sig is a quote from Chris Rock...because it's funny.
I figured it was something from the Family Guy, but anyway....

You're right that soldiers don't have any excuse to be unprofessional when it comes to what happened at Haditha.  Again, however, that is a far cry from the norm.  British soldiers are in no way morally or logically superior to their American equivalents.  The only possible point of contention here is that, perhaps, British training is better or more relevant to the Iraq environment.  That is something that would be hard to prove, but feel free to provide whatever info you can on that.

If there's anything we had to learn the hard way, it's that training had to change dramatically to handle the differences that urban warfare exhibits as compared to traditional conventional war.  For the longest time, we had been training to fight conventional enemies like the Soviets, but nowadays, guerilla tactics are more relevant to our training.  Thankfully, we've changed our training to reflect this, and many of our forces are now better at urban warfare than conventional war.

The one edge that I would think the U.K. has in this is their experience with terrorism.  Since it's been a painfully familiar thing for your country ever since the IRA, I would assume your forces already have a lot of training against insurgency.

Still, I wouldn't say that automatically makes your soldiers more "professional."

Last edited by Turquoise (2007-07-13 21:23:20)

Smithereener
+138|6325|California
Ok, I'm absolutely sure that there are some US soldiers that aren't quite as educated as others, but to say that the reason all of them end up in the military is due to lack of intelligence is completely wrong. I remember John Kerry accidentally saying something like that, and he got pretty much screwed over. Good thing you aren't a politician in the States... My friend's older brother joined the Army, and he wasn't what you would call stupid (Unless you're like... Stephen Hawking or something). Part of the reason he joined was to receive education because his family wasn't in a sound financial state. I'd hardly call that him stupid for that. Having/lacking intelligence may have a role in some of these things you seem to disagree with, but I doubt that morals are determined by what level of intelligence one possesses. It's understandable that the stuff that soldiers have to go through will affect all soldiers' morals, whether they be smart or stupid.

To have come from Oxford, I admit, you must be really intelligent. And perhaps, the level of debate here doesn't compare to the level of debate with your fellow colleagues (sp?). But I'd think it's better to have it this way, with debate and discussion from people from all different sects of life.

Friedrich Nietzche wrote:

I have left the house of scholars and slammed the door behind me. Too long did my soul sit hungry at their table
Sure it's nice when you have people that can debate as well as you with the same intelligence. But seeing as the group would be so homogenous, the ideas and imagination that result from the debate are probably going to be somewhat limited. Here, we have people with all sorts of ideas and backgrounds, with various levels of what we would call intellect. Doesn't mean that we are short on experience or wisdom. Therefore, I'd think that what a person would get out of a debate/discussion here would be far more meaningful than having one that only an select few could comprehend.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6653

RicardoBlanco wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

OUCH!

Im being studied.

by the way, calling me a typical US grunt is the best compliment you could have given me...thankyou

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-07-13 21:53:57)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6653

usmarine2005 wrote:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

I see you ignore my post.

Just pointing that out.  Please continue.
he likes to come out his shell every once and a while. 

Dick White - DST all star

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard