topthrill05
+125|6600|Rochester NY USA

lavadisk wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

He doesn't exist.

You don't know that for sure! YOU COULD BE GOING TO HELL! OGMOGMOGMGOMOG. Believe in jesus so ur sole is saved!
Your idiocy would be less obvious if you could spell soul.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6644|London, England
No, he was being intentionally sarcastic. With the bad spelling to go along with the act. Don't you guys understand internet!

I know what i said made me sound sad, but dammit!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

stef10 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

stef10 wrote:

Then why is Cam saying that God and Satan are equal when it comes to goodness and badness.

damn, I have had to much philosophy in school.
You can debate the components of an idea without subscribing to the existance of it. You could challenge the moral composition of Santa Clause if you want.
yeah. lets stop talking about that.
lol.. ok. Do me a favor and break this down for me using your philosophical wit.

Kmarion wrote:

"In religion evil refers to anything against the will or law of the god(s)"

Now this leads us down the old discussion of free will and religion. If it is a god that commands us to act in a certain way, then it must be Satan that entices us to break those laws (The Devil made me do it). Christianty tells us that it is the Devil that causes us to break the rules from god (Anybody want an apple?). Given the above quoted statement I must conclude that Satan is evil.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6476|Ontario, Canada

CameronPoe wrote:

Satan is as bad as God. He's also as good as God. Why? Because neither exist.
You know nothing as a fact, only your own opinion, so why do you open your mouth?
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

d4rkst4r wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

You know nothing as a fact, only your own opinion, so why do you open your mouth?
Ease up.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
CameronPoe
+2,925|6578

d4rkst4r wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Why can I not post my assessment of the situation while everyone else natters on about Santa Claus-esque nonsense?
imortal
+240|6687|Austin, TX

sergeriver wrote:

I thought Satan was gay and married or something to Saddam.
...well, if you get your religion from episodes of South Park, and the movie, then... well, yeah.  Whatever floats your boat.
imortal
+240|6687|Austin, TX

CameronPoe wrote:

Awwww, now why did you have to go ruin everyone's fun, CP?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6794|PNW

Well, hypothetically, he isn't keeping the souls as any sort of munificent gesture, though that idea would be a good way to win some people to his side. He wants the power rush of running everyone's personal lives, sort of like the US government. All those souls under his control is a neat little symbol of power.

CameronPoe wrote:

I'm assuming that thread was made with discussion of mythological philosophy in mind, separate from actual belief, under the assumption that he does exist. Your post is counterproductive here and would fit better in a "does God exist" thread.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-07-12 13:30:06)

Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6669|Peoria
The Temple of Set, Modern Satanism if you will, believes that "The Satan" is actual human desires. The belief is that human desires are not necessarily bad, and that indulging them is a good thing. Sorta like Anti-Buddhism.
Collateralis
Beep bep.
+85|6393|Stealth on Grand Bazaar

^KoB^Buckles wrote:

not really, more a philosophical discussion on the definitions of evil etc
Are you stupid or just pretending to be? Your an atheist and questioning whether a Christian creation is evil, when the only description of Satan is evil. Erm? If your American I can sympathise with your idiocy.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6600|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

^KoB^Buckles wrote:

Now, this is totally hypothetical. I'm an atheist but appreciate the religious views of others. Let's not flame people for their personal views and stick to the topic at hand. I talk about Satan here as a real being, irrespective of my personal views.

Now, Satan is the devil. Evil incarnate. Lucifer. And all sorts of other names. He runs hell as I'm sure everyone knows. But the question is this:

Can Satan REALLY be evil if he is the being that traps all the evil souls in hell? If he took good souls, THAT would be evil. But essentially he tortures the souls of evildoers, punishing them for their deeds in life. Without him doing this, would the evil sould remain on our plane of existance and wreak havoc (e.g. poulterguists)?

Discuss
Man! This is far from beeing stupid...If he would let all those "evil spirit" loose on the earth...that would be evil but think about it...he bitch slap the evil people after their dead...so...Satan is good?
Smithereener
+138|6338|California

nighthawk843 wrote:

^KoB^Buckles wrote:

Are you stupid or just pretending to be? Your an atheist and questioning whether a Christian creation is evil, when the only description of Satan is evil. Erm? If your American I can sympathise with your idiocy.
Erm... that's the point; Satan has, for the most part, always been depicted as an evil being. But if he's supposed to be the keeper of Hell, which may or may not be the case depending on who you ask (I suppose), and Hell is supposed to be where all the bad souls go, is that evil? I mean, like the OP said, if good souls go to a place of eternal torture, most of us can agree that is evil. But if Hell takes in bad souls and tortures them, is that really evil? Or doing what's right?

I suppose it's idiotic for an atheist to want to raise a philosophical question on a religious topic.

And fuck off with the whole "Americans are all stupid" generalization.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6866|Waikato, Aotearoa
Nope - Just misunderstood...... a LOT
Bruce-SuperNub
SuperNoob
+26|6172|Scotland

CameronPoe wrote:

d4rkst4r wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Why can I not post my assessment of the situation while everyone else natters on about Santa Claus-esque nonsense?
Offtopic: Is that you in your sig?

Ontopic: Why would you even say that when the guy said hypothetically speaking? Kinda stupid tbh.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6579|Kent, UK

Smithereener wrote:

nighthawk843 wrote:

^KoB^Buckles wrote:

Erm... that's the point; Satan has, for the most part, always been depicted as an evil being. But if he's supposed to be the keeper of Hell, which may or may not be the case depending on who you ask (I suppose), and Hell is supposed to be where all the bad souls go, is that evil? I mean, like the OP said, if good souls go to a place of eternal torture, most of us can agree that is evil. But if Hell takes in bad souls and tortures them, is that really evil? Or doing what's right?

I suppose it's idiotic for an atheist to want to raise a philosophical question on a religious topic.

And fuck off with the whole "Americans are all stupid" generalization.
@ nighthawk.      I might be atheist (probably more agnostic), but that is just my personal view on religion. I also respect that other people have beliefs different to my own and enjoy understanding those beliefs. For example, although i don't believe every word in the bible, i do agree with many of the teachings therein. And I'm English dude. There's a saying you might want to note: "It's better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and prove everyone right."

@ Smithereener.    Yeah dude, you got the idea. And although I don't personally believe in "Heaven & Hell" "God & Satan" etc as wrote, I think it's interesting to develop a discussion and learn other peoples views on the subjects, as well as making people think hard about what they do or don't believe in. Also, Political discussions don't really interest me much because they all seem to go the same way on here.
Lai
+186|6174
Maybe I'm missing a post or something else since I'm an atheist as well but,..

As far as I know Lucifers was an angel that was banished to hell by a celestial army led by the Archangel Michael for rebelling against God. Considering the rebellion, Lucifers had the opinion that mankind was of a lesser kind than the angels archangels God himself etc. and therefore shouldn't be allowed to live in paradise. After being banished to hell, Lucifer tempted Adam and Eve to be "naughty", thus mankind was banished from paradise and, though defeated, Lucifer got what he originally pleaded for.

The evilness of Lucifer considering this story has puzzled me as well. For his original rebellion was not exactly against God, but more against the equal status of mankind. Second, why wasn't the topic of the status of mankind "open for debate" at the time and didn't Lucifer eventually turned out to be right? After all, he might have tempted them, but it was mankind that gave in, which proved they were "lesser" than the other races?
XeromeXWarrior
XeromeX = Zero-Sex?
+8|6161
Satan want to be 'better' then god..so he want more souls to brag ?

Must be something like that
Fen321
+54|6520|Singularity
Is anything really evil?
Phrozenbot
+632|6638|do not disturb

Lawlessness is sin, and sin is evil to God. The Father of lies, the accuser, and the destroyer, are just a few names Satan has earned.

OrangeHound wrote:

Edit:  By the way, in the Bible, God is ultimately responsible for wars, destruction, and pain ... Satan may be an agent of negative things, but Satan does nothing without permission from God.
Satan doesn't need permission from God. He steals, kills, and destroys as he wills, like a prowling lion looking to devour sometime. The only time we see him asking permission to start satanic assault is when God's hedge of protection is preventing Satan from attempting to destroy Job's faith. No where in the Bible does it indicate he needs permission otherwise...

Last edited by Phrozenbot (2007-07-13 01:05:47)

Phrozenbot
+632|6638|do not disturb

Lai wrote:

Maybe I'm missing a post or something else since I'm an atheist as well but,..

As far as I know Lucifers was an angel that was banished to hell by a celestial army led by the Archangel Michael for rebelling against God. Considering the rebellion, Lucifers had the opinion that mankind was of a lesser kind than the angels archangels God himself etc. and therefore shouldn't be allowed to live in paradise. After being banished to hell, Lucifer tempted Adam and Eve to be "naughty", thus mankind was banished from paradise and, though defeated, Lucifer got what he originally pleaded for.

The evilness of Lucifer considering this story has puzzled me as well. For his original rebellion was not exactly against God, but more against the equal status of mankind. Second, why wasn't the topic of the status of mankind "open for debate" at the time and didn't Lucifer eventually turned out to be right? After all, he might have tempted them, but it was mankind that gave in, which proved they were "lesser" than the other races?
Paradise Lost? That's not Biblical. First, you need to know that Satan and a third of the angels (now called fallen angels or demons) fell before man and earth was created. Why was Satan cast out of heaven? It is a little uncertain, as the Bible is a little silent about it. All I know is that he was proud, and his pride must have led him to believe he deserved to be worshiped, and that he didn't have to worship God. Paul, one of the apostles, said he saw God him cast out like lightning. He wasn't casted out to hell, but out of heaven. Some say he was thrown to Earth, and others says the Abyss. I've also heard Tartarus, but I believe that is just a Greek translation for Gehenna (or maybe Final Hell), as Hades is Greek for Sheol.

Last edited by Phrozenbot (2007-07-13 01:36:29)

Lai
+186|6174

Phrozenbot wrote:

Paradise Lost? That's not Biblical. First, you need to know that Satan and a third of the angels (now called fallen angels or demons) fell before man and earth was created. Why was Satan cast out of heaven? It is a little uncertain, as the Bible is a little silent about it. All I know is that he was proud, and his pride must have led him to believe he deserved to be worshiped, and that he didn't have to worship God. Paul, one of the apostles, said he saw God him cast out like lightning. He wasn't casted out to hell, but out of heaven. Some say he was thrown to Earth, and others says the Abyss. I've also heard Tartarus, but I believe that is just a Greek translation for Gehenna (or maybe Final Hell), as Hades is Greek for Sheol.
Deserved to be worshipped by whom?

Was he aware that man would be created?

Obviously Satan could not have been thrown to earth if he fell before it was created.

On the Greek "translations", the Greek polytheistic concepts and that of the Tartarus predate any Biblical ones.
Lai
+186|6174

Fen321 wrote:

Is anything really evil?
Yes, Germans
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6668

Lai wrote:

Fen321 wrote:

Is anything really evil?
Yes, Germans
Germans more evil than the Devil ?
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6675|pimelteror.de
nice hypthesis... so when satan takes care of the bad people, he does us a favor. when god only takes the "good" ones, he is cruel and a liar, because "he" always told us to forgive and love our enemy - so he is the evil one.
hm...
at least i don´t give a shit on these religion fairy tales....

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard