Bevo
Nah
+718|6519|Austin, Texas

Leatherneck2869 wrote:

Very nice guide, One thing I'd add though is a good trick when firing at a tank or APC is to aim above them and then, once the missile is about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way there, aim directly at it. That way they've less time to react and you've more time to get back into cover. This is, of course, more useful for longer shots while they're stationary, at shorter ranges you might as well just fire and forget. It takes a bit of practice before you get good at judging how far the missile has to go before it hits, but once you get it down, it makes hitting them much easier since you don't have to compensate for them moving.
Armor doesn't get a "warning" if you shoot the missile at them without zooming in. Therefore if you've got a decent eye, you can just no-scope it.
Arnie_Ze_Austrian
+55|6140
Nice guide:

Two important things I'd add when battling armour:

#1:  Unless at very close range, always shoot your missile slightly away from the armour and then guide it back onto the target.  This means the target doesn't get a heads-up that he's about to get slammed (via the lock-on warning alarm thingy) until it's just about to happen.  No warning = no time to pop smoke and retreat and, most importantly, less chance of being spotted.

#2: I'd also add that it's possible to bend missiles around obstacles while remaining in cover for longer.  A lot of people don't think about the best way to combat armour and assume that the purpose of guiding missiles is solely to follow a moving target (as opposed to bending rockets around corners to hit a stationary or moving target). 

E.g. On Jalalabad as MEC, I will prone behind sandbags as the enemy tank rolls towards the outpost.  I'll then back off from the sandbags slightly and shoot my AT missile over the sandbags (at an angle just great enough to clear the sandbags and no more) while holding the fire button.  I'll then wait maybe a second or two (or however long I think I can delay before it becomes irretrievable -- since the terrain slopes upwards it buys you even more time) and then stand up, guiding the missile back down and onto the tank's front treads.  You can do this with nearly any obstacle and angle, though some parts of levels work better than others.  With a bit of practice, you can bend rockets around corners and then walk around the corner to guide it the last stretch.  Proper execution can decrease the time you're exposed by 50%.  If done correctly, you will be practically impossible to hit unless the tank was expecting it and even then it's still quite tough to hit someone who does this -- I've been on the receiving end and it's a lot tougher to take out ATers who stay in cover for longer while delivering the same punishment as the dude who just stands there like a pleb, totally exposed.

My friend (an experienced all round BF2 player who I've often seen clear up in armour) literally couldn't even see where I was hitting him from when I was doing this at the construction site on sharqi -- he'd just see a rocket come out of a room, then look towards it, get hit by it and then not even see me.  It's great for hitting with an opening salvo and retaining your cover as well as hitting armour multiple times when the target knows your position and you need to minimise your exposure to fire.  In short, it's a win win tactic.  You can also use it to keep safe against .50 cal fire when dueling with heavy jeeps, or even to be a cheeky git and take out some proning infantry or snipers.  I love hitting pesky snipers with this tactic because they never see it coming (or if they do, the AT missile is really off-putting and puts a lot of pressure on them to get the shot right).

Edit - I'll add a third, actually.  The most important one!  -- pick your battles.  Don't just tackle tanks head-on if you can wait for them to drive past.  Tread shots are great, but it often means you're fully exposed and fighting the tank head-on.  It's much better to let a tank pass you so you can blast him in the back -- less risk, easier shot, same result.  Obviously this doesn't always happen, but I always do the same thing for all kinds of vehicles -- if you can wait for a few seconds to give yourself much more favourable odds (via either being harder to hit/detect yourself, or the target has a weaker spot exposed or the target is just easier to hit), then do so!

Oh and the AT weapons = horses for courses really, IMO.  I hate the MP5 but I like the MEC & PLA smgs (I understand that they have identical stats, but for some reason I can't tear people up with the MP5).  Most BF2 players can't aim too well, so it's not unheard of for a good SMG user to take out two or three enemies.  I use the DAO-12 sometimes (Karkand and some other infantry areas on other maps), but I prefer the SMGs in general.

Last edited by Arnie_Ze_Austrian (2007-07-12 21:57:05)

HeadShotAK47
Hand's shaken' / Heart's beatn' / Still Shootin'
+32|6725|Ft. Laudy, FL, USA

CloakedStarship wrote:

Moving people are much harder to hit.  Here’s the trick.  The hitbox on any person lags behind him, just slightly.  If someone is moving left, their hitbox is slightly to the right, and vice-versa.  Generally you’re going to want to shoot directly at the person and try to follow him if he’s not sprinting.
I was always under the impression that the hit box goes in front of the person as they run so you have to lead them with bullets/missles, not shoot behind them but maybe it's different for SRAWs w/e i duuno

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard