Icetoocool
+2|6185|Devon England
With the 2007 Rugby world cup coming up in a few months, do you think England will retain the cup, and who do you think will be the new stars of this Tornament?

Coments please.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6720|Disaster Free Zone
ATM all I see is a global depression in Rugby skill. Every game I've watched its been scrappy and boring with lots of mistakes and very few well executed plays. From what I can tell the Major 4 (Australia, New Zealand, England and South Africa) are all is form slumps and their wins are far from convincing. I wouldn't put it past a second rate team such as Ireland or France to come up and win the cup this year. But saying that, all the 'top' teams are capable and will only have to pull out 1 or 2 good games the whole tournament at the right time to win.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6813|Noizyland

Ah, finally a sporting competition I care about, (and it's not the Americas Cup either, everyone seems to be a bloody New Zealander it was just an issue of whether the Airline or the Pharmacuticles company boat won.)

The All Blacks always show terrific form in the three years leading up to the World Cup but then manage to fuck it up when it counts. After their uninspiring loss to the Aussies a weeks or so ago  I am far from being confident. I realise that we were whistled off the field by that South African bastard who took an age to call the scrums and then penalised the wrong team for bringing it down, (c'mon NZ's scrum is brilliant at the moment we have no motive to bring them down,) and Carl Hayman being sent off for an entirely legal move, (which in those ten minutes cost us the tries which lost us the game,) I also saw some poor efforts from people like Rodney So’oialo and I can't remember who the other person was, and also the number one first-five in the world Dan Carter seems to be far from form. Fitness and strength-wise the All Blacks are good, which was proven by the last minute win in South Africa which was down to fitness, but thanks to their absence from the Super 14 they are out of practise, and I'm not sure if Graham Henry's strategy will pay off.
They have strength in rucks, mauls, scrums and line-outs and also surprising opponents, but they have problems in tackling people to actually bring them down, and also throwing 50/50 passes which seem to get intercepted far more than what should happen.

I haven't seen England play for a while, but unless big changes have been made since the last time they toured or the tour of other teams to England than they won't last long. Bringing back Jonny Wilkinson was interesting move, I just hope they're not going to rely on their incredibly boring style of play where they milk penalties instead of going for tries.

South Africa is in bloody good form at the moment with having two teams in the Super 14 final and their defeat of Australia and near defeat of New Zealand, but their fitness is lacking. Also they don't have any really stand-out players. However this gives them advantages over teams such as the All Blacks because they have no-one who will be 'targeted' as teams in the past, particularly Australia, have aimed to add specific players to the injury list - namely Dan Carter and Richie McCaw.

Australia was almost scourned at the end of last year/beginning of this one and they have gone through a dry talent spell, yet it is foolish to take them lightly, especially when Australia has a perchant for crippling anyone who does. Players like Lote Tuqiri punish anyone who doesn't play their best against them. Australia has incredible experience with people like absolute legend George Gregan and Captain Stirling Mortlock who are bloody deadly when they get gowing. Australia's strength is to perform breakaway and crippling runs. Where Australia falls down is in general strategy, one of which is the rather inauspicious aim to cripple and opposing team by causing injury to specific players, also relying heavily on referees to award penalties in their favour. Australia is bloody good, but uninspiring which can lead to predictability which won't help them with teams like the All Blacks who perform all the tricky shit they can.

I'm a New Zealander, I know my Rugby.

I predict South Africa to make it to the final, however I am unsure who their opponent will be. I'd like it to be New Zealand of couse, so lets say my call is a South Africa New Zealand final with the All Blacks coming away with the win.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Pacman
+0|6303|UK
The All Blacks kick ass, they'll want revenge from last year, and i think they are the best in the world
Final: All Blacks v. Wallabies
Winner All Blacks
I wanna see some country like Japan do well-they have such good handling.
Pacman
+0|6303|UK
Just looked at the pools, NZ wont have a problem getting through (Scotland, Italy, Romania, and strangly-Portugal (who i have never seen play rugby before!!))
Winners from other pools for me will be:
Pool A: England
Pool B: Australia (although Wales will give em a good run for their money)
Pool C: NZ   
Pool D: close between France and Ireland, i rekon Ireland will win
Icetoocool
+2|6185|Devon England
You guys know your rugby, for me being a Englishman i hope we can defend our trophy with pride and passion, after the way we played in the six nations this year there were signs that we were turning the corner again and we had some good players step up. and you cant read to much into the tour of s Africa as we only had are second team out.

But looking to the world cup i am hoping we can make the semis, as for the rest i think the all blacks will take some beating and from Europe, if Ireland believe in themselves i think they could go far.
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6374|Oregon
USA HELL YEAH.

sigh.

fucking people only care about football... i mean, i love football... but rugby is just so freaking awesome!
I'd put my vote on the All Blacks. Ty is right in his criticisms, but they are the most talented rugby team in the world right now, from what i've seen. I have limited access to games because no american tv networks carry them, but I try my best to keep up.

edit: Oh, and i'm rooting for Wales, but I don't think that'll happen.

Last edited by djphetal (2007-07-11 13:22:51)

Pacman
+0|6303|UK
Im English too! But yea your rite Ice, Ireland could go far, but come on, I dont think England have a chance-quater finals at most i think...lol-i have a lot of faith in my country. We kicked everyones ass, in those previous world cup years with big Martin Johnson (sp?) but now, it aint so.
Icetoocool
+2|6185|Devon England
I know what you mean Pacman, we need a leader in the Martin Johnson mode. and i did say i was hoping for the semis.
TuataraDude
+115|6561|Aotearoa
I suspect it will be a South Africa V Wallabies final (NZ come up against the Wallabies in the semis if everything goes as I suspect they will). I would love NZ to win, but we do not have the smarts. We have the skill and fitness, but when things start going wrong, we go to pieces. We do not have it in the top 2 inches (to use the old cliche). Both South Africa and Australia have the discipline to stick to their game plan and if things go too awry, they have several players with a good head on their shoulders who have enough influence over the team to guide them in the right direction. Rugby is not just a game of brute force, or we would have won it more than just the once.

I'm sick and tired of hearing the All Blacks are the number one ranked team, yet we never win the one that matters. We have only won it once, the first time, and look at that team. We had players who were not only good players, they had something outside of rugby. This gives a player a greater experience base to draw from and allows them to adapt to situations much more effectively when required. The professional era may have brought us bigger, faster players, but it has also brought us dumber ones.
Pacman
+0|6303|UK
Yes, soz Ice didnt see that, btw have you seen the Pools?  -->  http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/standings/index.html
I think Nambia are goin to get screwed, lol, although knowing my judgement they'll be the darkhorse.
Im dont think The Springbok will make the final, but they are good rugby players, its their foremost sport.
Does anyone know (Ty cuz your from NZ) know if  Jonah Lomu is comming back to International level?? i loved that guy, or has he kicked the rugby bucket?
Any of you guys going to France to see it??
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6813|Noizyland

Jonah Lomu still plays club Rugby but he would never come back to international Rugby. He's too old and too ill, but in his prime he was fantastic. Didn't the Brits for a while nickname him "Joanna Lumly"?

I understand your critisisms and doubts about the AB's Tuatara and you're right, a couple of years ago we did have an intelligent team whih has somewhat dwindled in recent years. The ABs have settled in playing risky rugby rather than intelligent rugby. The effects are the same, but risky rugby has more chance of everything screwing up.
Still, it's been 20 years since we last won and the whole of New Zealand will be mighty pissed off with Richie and the boys if they don't go as far as everyone thinks they should. They'll be fired up in that regard.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Pacman
+0|6303|UK
I dont remember any Joanna Lumly nick names, but is poss. pretty funny.
But he did kick English ass --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoHL0nYlPbI

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard