Will Live Earth make any difference?

Yes10%10% - 10
No64%64% - 63
Live What?25%25% - 25
Total: 98
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6665

Live Earth won't make a difference because the people putting it on are of low intelligence. I saw on MSN the tagline for it said something like "7 continents, 150 artists, 24 hours". The 7 continents part really got to me. I looked up the small list of countries they'd be playing in and Antarctica was not one of them. Friggin morons.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS

mtb0minime wrote:

Live Earth won't make a difference because the people putting it on are of low intelligence. I saw on MSN the tagline for it said something like "7 continents, 150 artists, 24 hours". The 7 continents part really got to me. I looked up the small list of countries they'd be playing in and Antarctica was not one of them. Friggin morons.
Neg, there was one band playing in Antarctica. Got a fair bit of newstime.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6772

<BoTM>J_Aero wrote:

I find it really hard to believe so many intelligent forum members missing the point here, Live Earth isn't about saving power or planting trees. It's about raising awareness, there are still people out there that don't know what global warming is, or what they can do about it, that's what Live Earth is for, keep the issue right in the spotlight so the elected representatives that answer to us can do something about it.
"The globe-spanning Live Earth pop music extravaganza fell flat for television viewers in the United States and Britain, drawing far smaller audiences than the Princess Diana tribute concert a week earlier. "

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070709/med … ratings_dc

So it was a huge waste of time and hurt the environment more than it helped.
V1king
+10|6165|Land of crocs and cane toads
Bob Geldof's efforts in Live Aid did about as much as Band Aid will do.  Pretty much a short term awareness campaign and a few dollars here and there.  Africa were screwed then and still are today and that was 20 years ago when it first started.  The little kids that were portrayed back then as helpless are now grown up and having kids of there own which are also in the same predicament as back then.  So much for those donations being well spent.

They should have given them condoms, sterilised them or teached them self awareness, instead of making us aware when our efforts eventually go to waste. Same goes for enviromental issues.  What will the outlook be in 20 years in regards to our enviroment?

You can't help someone if they can't at least help themselves!

Last edited by V1king (2007-07-10 23:42:37)

mafropetee
+18|6154|Altamonte Springs, FL
same outcome will happen as EarthdayBirthday (an anual rock concert here in Orlando, FL... always has really good bands. last time they had Bullet for my Valentine, Sevendust, Black Stone Cherry, and a few others i cant remember... that was an AWESOME show)

they told us all to clean up and not throw trash on the floor. they had trashcans EVERYWHERE. well, that worked... for the first two seconds. then before you know it you couldnt see the ground.
Chappy556
+14|6710
Live Earth made me want to make my carbon imprint even more huge
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6475|Melbourne - Home of Football

usmarine2005 wrote:

Awareness?  What bottom feeding mouth breather is not aware of environmental issues?
Being aware is only the beginning. You couldn't count on a rednecks extended families hands and feet the number of politicians who are "aware" of environmental issues but will do sweet fuck all about it. Awareness -> Debate -> Action. You raise the level of awareness, you raise the level of debate, eventually you raise the level of action.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6772

<BoTM>J_Aero wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Awareness?  What bottom feeding mouth breather is not aware of environmental issues?
Being aware is only the beginning. You couldn't count on a rednecks extended families hands and feet the number of politicians who are "aware" of environmental issues but will do sweet fuck all about it. Awareness -> Debate -> Action. You raise the level of awareness, you raise the level of debate, eventually you raise the level of action.
This did not do that.  Why can't you admit that?  I have been made aware since the 80's, and so has everyone else.  This was nothing more than star nonsense that wasted more resources in one day than most people do in a year.
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6691|Dayton, Ohio
No amount of people talking is going to change the envirionment.  It call comes down to dollars and cents.  The middle and lower class families can not afford technologies that limit emision such as hybrid cars even solar panels.  Hell, anything with an energy star symbol cost extra, probably close to 30% more.  For individuals that are trying to pay for a house and feed a family, that is an excessive cost.  Corporations dictate when more efficient technologies take hold, not movie and rock stars.  I will admit that I ponied up for the more expensive "energy star" frig when we moved this year and I have tried to replace all my Lights with Florescents but that is about as far as I can go.  I can't replace my car, I have 3 kids and Plan on having another, I can't expect to get mu better than 25 MPG out of a 7 seater that I can afford.
Lai
+186|6161
Will live earth make a difference? I surely hope it doesn't:

1. Even if we're going to heat the earth dramatically, the water level won't rise as much as Gore wants us to believe; there isn't enough water stored in the ice and even if there was, we'd be dead long before the temperature was high enough for it all to melt. Yes, once the water level did rise 120 meters but it was approximately 120 meters below the current level, so we're past that.

2. Without the "greenhouse"- effect earth would be like Mars,.. so much better.

3. Temperature is going to rise even if the human race didn't exist at all, it's natural. At worst we're only excelerating it. Money spend on stupid Gore propaganda and bringing people together to sign silly treaties like that of Kyoto, could be better spend on preparing for the inevitable. Build bloody dikes, don't try to tell the sea to stop rising, you're not Mozes!

4. Human influence, at least of any significance, on the "greenhouse"-effect has not been proven. We don't even know for sure what substances are involved, it has been suggested that Vaporized H20 is in fact the worst greenhouse-gas,.. so,.. let's all build cars that don't run on petrol but on hydrogen, thus they'll only emmit vaporized H2O! 

5. The Dutch are exagerating like not other,.. the sea level isn't going up all that much, Holland is just going down (plate tectonics).

Last edited by Lai (2007-07-12 09:15:54)

crimson_grunt
Shitty Disposition (apparently)
+214|6664|Teesside, UK
Good going celebs, you've just given the cynics even more reasons to do fuck all.  Like they didn't have enough anyway.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard