confused
+10|6364|British Columbia

dill13 wrote:

I just read the population of Britain is 60 million thats twice the population of canada and we have alot of alternate power plants and stilluse twice as much fuel as you i really dont think that yours is so bad.
In England 30 km will put you in the ocean.  In Canada, some people won't leave their driveway.
ReTox
+100|6469|State of RETOXification

dill13 wrote:

I just read the population of Britain is 60 million thats twice the population of canada and we have alot of alternate power plants and stilluse twice as much fuel as you i really dont think that yours is so bad.
UK = Size of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Canada's land mass = Many many many UKs.

It takes me 1.5 hours at 120 KM/hr just to reach the next city from me (Calgary) and a week to go cross-country.  I can go from anywhere in the UK to anywhere else in the UK in less than a day.  We travel farther so we use a lot more fuel.

But personal autmobiles are not the major "drinkers" of oil.  It's all the transport vehicles (long haul trucking), shipping, factories, and commercial centers using deisel generators that make up the most.  Some factories run 24 hours a day (usually) sucking in 100s of gallons of fuel whereas your car is likely close to several hours each day and maybe uses a couple of litres.  Even with all the cars on the road their consumption is dwarfed by industry and shipping.

CO2 is different, personal automobiles make up most of the pollution.  That is why cars/trucks are being marketed as green or environmentally safer.  It's not the fuel usage that they care about but the emmissions from that usage.
Volatile
+252|6674|Sextupling in Empire

-note to self: DONT MOVE TO TURKEY!-

Damn, you brits have got it pretty bad. I guess this is why diesel engines are so popular over thar.
norge
J-10 and a coke please
+18|6439

Turquoise wrote:

Miller wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Try adding all of the people on the list, and then compare the population total to our own population.  That part should amaze you.  China alone has way more people than us.
And far fewer vehicles... China may be growing, but the populace is still poor.
True, but you can even leave out China.  Japan has tons of vehicles, and they have 127 million people.  That's nearly 1/2 of our population, and their standard of living is only slightly lower than ours.

Japan consumes a small fraction of what we do.  Then, throw in Germany...  They have plenty of cars and are close to our standard of living...  They have 80 million people.  The U.K. has 60 million and plenty of cars too.

Just those three countries alone are a total of 267 million people.  That's roughly 5/6 of our population (300 million), and the consumption looks like about 1/5 or 1/6 of ours.
we have farther to drive(because were more spread out)?
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6153|Ireland
I leave my car idling in the driveway all day long, because I can.  Graph that green boy.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6416|Chicago, IL

Turquoise wrote:

Miller wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Try adding all of the people on the list, and then compare the population total to our own population.  That part should amaze you.  China alone has way more people than us.
True, but you can even leave out China.  Japan has tons of vehicles, and they have 127 million people.  That's nearly 1/2 of our population, and their standard of living is only slightly lower than ours.

Japan consumes a small fraction of what we do.  Then, throw in Germany...  They have plenty of cars and are close to our standard of living...  They have 80 million people.  The U.K. has 60 million and plenty of cars too.

Just those three countries alone are a total of 267 million people.  That's roughly 5/6 of our population (300 million), and the consumption looks like about 1/5 or 1/6 of ours.
America is also the same size as most of Europe combined. but with far less port/river access, which means we have to transport millions of tons of goods thousands of miles by truck.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina

S.Lythberg wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Miller wrote:

America is also the same size as most of Europe combined. but with far less port/river access, which means we have to transport millions of tons of goods thousands of miles by truck.
Good point...  Still, Australia is another wealthy country with a spread out population.  Per capita, they only consume about half of what we do.  Even Canada (also wealthy and spread out) consumes about 3/4 of what we do per capita.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

-note to self: DONT MOVE TO TURKEY!-

Damn, you brits have got it pretty bad. I guess this is why diesel engines are so popular over thar.
I dont think we do. Diesel has only become slightly popular in the last few years because its slightly cheaper but still taxed just as heavily.

Personally I support the taxation on our fuels. Our government needs the money for the NHS etc.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6416|Chicago, IL

Turquoise wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Good point...  Still, Australia is another wealthy country with a spread out population.  Per capita, they only consume about half of what we do.  Even Canada (also wealthy and spread out) consumes about 3/4 of what we do per capita.
yeah, but inland australia is deserted, not a town to be had, nearly all major australian cities are port towns, and i don't even think there are many highways connecting the coasts via the center of the continent.

Same can be said for canada, nearly all of the population is within about 150 miles of the US border.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina

S.Lythberg wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

yeah, but inland australia is deserted, not a town to be had, nearly all major australian cities are port towns, and i don't even think there are many highways connecting the coasts via the center of the continent.

Same can be said for canada, nearly all of the population is within about 150 miles of the US border.
True again... although Alice Springs is a notable exception for the Australians (not a major deal, but still interesting to note...  lol).
RECONDO67
+60|6606|miami FL
I came back from tonight from a south America traveling and the biggest vehicle i encounter was the size of a Tacoma and as soon as I landed here i was ashamed to see all the American vehicles that look like dinosaurs devouring oil.

plus the fuel cost 4.5 the gallon and therefore people it's willing to walk rather than pay for fuel
FathomsDown
+19|6621|England
And just how do you go dogging in that?

Erm, on second thoughts forget I said that!
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615
damn U.S. consumes so much

Last edited by blademaster (2007-07-12 03:56:58)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

60L a week roughly. 3.0L engine FTW!
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6518|San Diego, CA, USA

Milk.org wrote:

sexecuti0ner wrote:

Is it just me or is this graph stupid?  Of course America uses a lot of gas, but we have a lot more people than most of the countries on that list.  How about a graph that shows gas consumption per capita?
Are you for real?
I would like to see a gas consumption per capita as well.  I'm surprised that China uses so much less fuel with their population at 1,321,851,888 (July 2007 est.).
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6518|San Diego, CA, USA
One reason why we use so much gas in the United States...we have to live so far away from our jobs.

Personal Example:  I used to live in Oceanside, but work in Mira Mesa and goto school in La Jolla.  The round trip per day for me was 72 miles/day.

There are some people who drive from Temecula to Downtown San Diego and back...that's over 100 miles/day.

When your car only does 20 mpg then you can see the problem.  And remember this is city driving, the traffic to tough.

There is a new movement for companies to have satellite offices because they can pay less to employees who don't have to live so far away.
dill13
+67|6163

S.Lythberg wrote:

i dont know about Australia but in Canada most of are resources are in the west and most of are population is in the east so we have to put all are resources on trains to ship down to southern Ontario. there is well over a 1/6 of are population in the west and in saskatchewan we are twice the size of Texas with around 500,000 as are population and we are not congested are largest cities are around one hundred a piece (two of them) the next largest city isnt even all in Saskatchewan with a population of around 30,000.
BVC
+325|6665
If I bus to uni every day of the week it costs me 19NZD (about 7GBP)...but I walk when the weather allows it, so about half of that?
vedds
+52|6724|Christchurch New Zealand
120L per week to feed a 4.0L XR6 Falcon ( and thats the small engined variant) so thats approx $200 NZD

but yeah I feel for turkey.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6433|Tyne & Wear, England

Harmor wrote:

Milk.org wrote:

sexecuti0ner wrote:

Is it just me or is this graph stupid?  Of course America uses a lot of gas, but we have a lot more people than most of the countries on that list.  How about a graph that shows gas consumption per capita?
Are you for real?
I would like to see a gas consumption per capita as well.  I'm surprised that China uses so much less fuel with their population at 1,321,851,888 (July 2007 est.).

KILLSWITCH wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

sexecuti0ner wrote:

I'm not saying that we don't use a lot of gas, I'm just saying that this graph is structured to make America seem worse than it is.  To me, a per-capita graph would paint a better picture.
Even per capita, it'd still be real bad for the US. The only country that would even get close would be Canada.
QFT, I did a bit of research and found this. Sorry I couldn't convert it to a graph, but you get the picture.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/Mu … Capita.jpg

I'm afraid it really doesn't paint a better picture sexecuti0ner.

Source:  www.earthtrends.wri.org
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Smitty5613
+46|6496|Middle of nowhere, California
I feel like I have more gas than all of the US.....*farts*, ah crap, it wasnt gas...
V1king
+10|6124|Land of crocs and cane toads

Miller wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

sexecuti0ner wrote:

Yes, the populace is still poor but has been growing rapidily over the last 4 years or so.  The materialistic age has hit China in a big way, especially its major cities and it won't be long before they become a big polluter.  It's bad enough that they burn coal out of fashion due to their huge reserves but now the cars...Oh dear.

S.Lythberg wrote:

80% of Australias population reside on coastal regions.  More than half of that lies on the east coast alone.  National highways do exist to service the major towns and cities like Alice Springs for example and transport is undertaken via road trains to smaller outback regions.  Everything else is unaceessable by road unless you have a 4WD or aerial service.  Not truck friendly in some of the most remote areas.  Some driveways are a 6 hour trip, they are so long and then it's another day or two before you get close to a town that has produce but these people represent a minority.

Everything is so spread out and the popularity of the car just to get a loaf of bread  is a journey in itself for country regions.  City dwellers have it easier but you can still drive up to 5 km's to get a quick supply of goods in the mid to outer suburbs.   The car is used by everyone to do short trips and has become a bit of a habit.  Scooters and bicycles are not commonplace and our transport is terribly inferior to say the paris (Metro) or London (Underground) and not enough people use it's service because of it's unreliabilty and expensive running costs.  CBD workers will use the transport network predominantly but only because the parking is expensive otherwise they would drive.  It's cheaper to drive a car unfortunately and most of our pollution comes from cities and coastal regions.

European cities seem to have a alot more people but live in a tighter enviroment from what I've seen, whereas Australian's have an abundance of space and backyards which mean less people per square km and longer distances to services.  This is changing to a more european trend but it will take decades to eventuate due to the geographical layout of most of our cities and towns.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard