FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6506|so randum
Right, i don't generally venture into this section, purely because i'm not intellectual enough.

However, i was having a chat today with my dad, about the IRA, and whether he considered them terrorists or not.

I'm not gonna share his views with you, I just wondered what group/faction, you consider to be the first true "terrorists", in all of world history. Backing arguments, cons pros etc would be welcomed.

Cheers, FT13
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6400|The Gem Saloon
the big person i think of, and dont get me wrong, he is by far NOT the first, but the one i think of.

Jesse James......and the crazy thing is, here in missouri hes glorified as a bank robber.
he and his crew during the civil war were definitely terrorists how we know them.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6561
https://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/398963/2/istockphoto_398963_israel.jpg
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6627|London, England
His main point was to ask what groups in history would you classify as terrorists (i think)

Me:

American rebels (!)
British Empire and their expansionism
Expansionism of all Europeans tbh
Arab invasions of Asia, implementing Islam by force
Jewish invasions too

I dunno, alot of things.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2007-07-11 14:51:44)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6296|Éire
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6627|London, England

Braddock wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolution
The general consensus around here is that the United States of America is not recognised as a state.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6762|United States of America
Are the Brits still mad about the revolution by any chance?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6506|so randum

Mekstizzle wrote:

His main point was to ask what groups in history would you classify as terrorists (i think)

Me:

American rebels (!)
British Empire and their expansionism
Expansionism of all Europeans tbh
Arab invasions of Asia, implementing Islam by force
Jewish invasions too

I dunno, alot of things.
No, i just wondered which group you considered to be the first true example of terrorists. But they are good examples
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6497|Menlo Park, CA
Why am I not surprized at the photo you submitted. . . . .

lol!! You really dislike the Israeli's. . . . What happend?? Did some Jew get you sick by planting a bad matzoball in your soup??

You're unrelenting in your discontent for that country!! Its kinda funny actually
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6506|so randum

fadedsteve wrote:

lol!! You really dislike the Israeli's. . . . What happend?? Did some Jew get you sick by planting a bad matzoball in your soup??

You're unrelenting in your discontent for that country!! Its kinda funny actually
Whoa Whoa Whoa, On topic please, no personal arguements
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6497|Menlo Park, CA

fatherted13 wrote:

fadedsteve wrote:

Its not a personal jab at him at all. . . . .

Its the truth!!

Back on topic. . . .  There are plenty of groups who could be classified as the "first terrorists". . . .I am gonna go with the Mongols as the worlds first organized terrorists. 

edit: Actually, you could go earlier and say the Huns were the first terrorists. . . . .Attila was a pretty bad cat!!!! His nickname was the "Scourge of Death".

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-07-11 15:04:59)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6296|Éire
Joking aside (and without condoning the many atrocities carried out by the following groups) I can see, to a certain degree, the legitimacy of the American revolutionaries, the Irish Republican Army, The Palestinian freedom fighters, Basque separatists and the Cuban revolutionaries. they all had/have causes I can identify with

...the one group that I really think are out of touch with a significant majority of people and are unjustified in their actions is Al Qaeda. I don't know enough about the KLA, the Tamil Tigers and the myriad of other groups that are out there to pass judgement on them.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6506|so randum

Braddock wrote:

Joking aside (and without condoning the many atrocities carried out by the following groups) I can see, to a certain degree, the legitimacy of the American revolutionaries, the Irish Republican Army, The Palestinian freedom fighters, Basque separatists and the Cuban revolutionaries. they all had/have causes I can identify with

...the one group that I really think are out of touch with a significant majority of people and are unjustified in their actions is Al Qaeda. I don't know enough about the KLA, the Tamil Tigers and the myriad of other groups that are out there to pass judgement on them.
Yeh, from what my dad said about growing up in Ireland in the troubles, Although the IRA could be horrific, they also quite effectivly policed areas under their control, and won a lot of respect from some of the community
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
CameronPoe
+2,925|6561

fadedsteve wrote:

Hey he asked for terrorists so I named one: Israel. 40 year anniversary of their contravention of UN Security Council Resolution 242 this year. Hip Hip Hooray!
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6296|Éire

fatherted13 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Yeh, from what my dad said about growing up in Ireland in the troubles, Although the IRA could be horrific, they also quite effectivly policed areas under their control, and won a lot of respect from some of the community
I don't condone ANY of the civilian killings carried out by the IRA but beyond that they were a well structured, well ordered outfit fighting a battle for a legitimate cause (in my opinion). When they were fighting the British troops and attacking infrastructure that was all part of the battle for the six counties, those British troops knew what they were signing up for.

You are right too about community policing, they were very strict but very effective. It's a shame now that they are further tarnishing their image by delving further into organised crime in peace time, in the same way that the Loyalist groups did.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6506|so randum

Braddock wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

I don't condone ANY of the civilian killings carried out by the IRA but beyond that they were a well structured, well ordered outfit fighting a battle for a legitimate cause (in my opinion). When they were fighting the British troops and attacking infrastructure that was all part of the battle for the six counties, those British troops knew what they were signing up for.

You are right too about community policing, they were very strict but very effective. It's a shame now that they are further tarnishing their image by delving further into organised crime in peace time, in the same way that the Loyalist groups did.
Aye, horrific things were done (read-Enniskillen Bombing (the town my dads from), but the IRA had far greater sucess in getting rid of pimps, drug pushers, rapists etc than the Police could ever have done.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
PureFodder
+225|6292

fatherted13 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

Aye, horrific things were done (read-Enniskillen Bombing (the town my dads from), but the IRA had far greater sucess in getting rid of pimps, drug pushers, rapists etc than the Police could ever have done.
I guess the threat of having your kneecaps removed is a fairly persuasive arguement.
Wreckognize
+294|6491
Lets see, the first "true" terrorists...

There are many throughout history that could be considered the first terrorists.  Ghengis Khan and the Mongols, Vikings, William Wallace, Guy Fawkes, the Sons of Liberty, KKK, etc. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_terrorism

Hmmm...no mention of terrorism before the 1600s.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6681|Canberra, AUS

fadedsteve wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

fadedsteve wrote:

Its not a personal jab at him at all. . . . .

Its the truth!!

Back on topic. . . .  There are plenty of groups who could be classified as the "first terrorists". . . .I am gonna go with the Mongols as the worlds first organized terrorists. 

edit: Actually, you could go earlier and say the Huns were the first terrorists. . . . .Attila was a pretty bad cat!!!! His nickname was the "Scourge of Death".
Will you fucking quit being so up-yourself?

It really gets up my nerves that almost every time you post, you say 'It's the truth' or 'you know I'm right' or some arrogant self-asserting statement like that.

Really.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6411|North Carolina

fatherted13 wrote:

Right, i don't generally venture into this section, purely because i'm not intellectual enough.

However, i was having a chat today with my dad, about the IRA, and whether he considered them terrorists or not.

I'm not gonna share his views with you, I just wondered what group/faction, you consider to be the first true "terrorists", in all of world history. Backing arguments, cons pros etc would be welcomed.

Cheers, FT13
The first ever...  Hmmm...  That's a tough one.  If we're looking to Ancient History, you might be able to say Hebrews.  Of course, by even suggesting this, I'm going to get the Mel Gibson treatment.  Maybe you could say the Hyksos.

There are various groups that functioned as insurgents throughout time, and some of them seemed to have very legitimate causes.  Defining what insurgency is seems to depend on your viewpoint.  I remember how someone here had a quote in their signature that said something like, "When you attack with a navy, it's called war.  When you attack with a single boat, it's called terrorism."

It's hard for me to define what exactly insurgency or terrorism is, but for most modern purposes, I guess it is comprised of extremists that blow up innocent people among relatively peaceful societies.  It's basically a spectrum for me...  I consider some of the acts of the IRA less worse than the recent acts in Glasgow by those doctors.  Why?  Because the IRA began as a reaction to British treatment of the Irish.  The context made it understandable, but still very wrong.  The doctors really had no reason to attack other than their own deluded dogma.

It's like how I can understand some of the reactions of the Palestinians better than Al Quida's reactions.  I still obviously think that killing innocent people is wrong, but certain contexts can twist people's logic more than others.
ReTox
+100|6505|State of RETOXification
First Terrorist... hmm let me think... I got it!

Eve.

Damn bitch and her TERROR apple.

Last edited by ReTox (2007-07-11 17:40:38)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard