Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6857
Helicopter Flares. This may seem obvious But when I release flares I bottom the Collective or try and drop down and stay amongst my Flares. As they Drop I drop with them. Hopefully they will mask my Signature longer. I Recalled Reading that a Soviet chopper pilot did the same. I believe it was Tom Clancy's " The Cardinal of the Kremlin." That described the Technique. It seems to work and I don't notice anyone else doing it. Excellent post by the way
McCullough
+7|6859
Have to try that. if i works you're my hero
Charlie_melvin
Right between the eye's
+0|6834
i've noticed that when I'm using AA and I lock onto a plane/chopper and they drop flares that my target lock will change automatically to a flare, then to the next one, then the next, until all the flares are out before It can lock onto the target again.
If the pilot can judge the right timing of the flares, then he/she has no need to slow or drop his chopper and can get the hell out of the reach of the AA's sights, before it's reloaded and ready to fire again.
It only takes around 5 seconds to get a target lock again after you've dropped flares, and then...................... BOOM! 
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6867|Australia
hummm if u llift the aim part above the jet u can lock on heaps b4 the jet is gone...

its how u kill choppers quicker cause their flares drop faster..

n well itd be kinda cool if falling with the flares works.. if ur in the chopper
and gunna make em harder to kill if not lol why did u have to tell everyone
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6857
It also helps becuase you drop in with terrian when you do, Depending on the Missles los
bluehavoc8686
will frag for food
+11|6860|Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Not to piss anyone off, but I think that the choppers/jets should be limited to one or two chaf/flares. Sorry pilots.
thinner44
+1|6830
I don't care how many flares they have, (as long as it's not unlimited), it's not about just locking and shooting.... I'll paint someone till they have none left, which is often if they're an inexperienced pilot, of course the downside is, I'm either stuck in an AA for longer than wanted or I'm laid on my belly with an AT. It's funny when they come to a CP, they'll hover, I'll paint forever, they panic and move elsewhere.... if they're not quick enough, I'll shoot em. Chopper kills when they're 2 or 3 up really adds a decent score.
bluehavoc8686
will frag for food
dude, you have the AA ribbon. I'm impressed. I want it so bad!
thinner44
+1|6830

bluehavoc8686 wrote:

lol, it's easy ... look for chopper whores, don't sit in an AA till the last second, point and shoot, it's that quick they don't have time to react. You'll feel great but they'll want revenge

Best of luck
WormGuts
+17|6814|Dayton, Ohio
beware of hitting flares while AA.  hitting a flare while AA (mobile or stationary) results in team damage.  why the flare is considered team i don't know but it is.
tcb263
+0|6821
yeah AA ribbon is really easy blue, i think it was the first one i got.  it was on dragon valley and i just sat in the missles next to the power station at the top of the hill where you can shoot at EVERY chopper.
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6867|Australia

WormGuts wrote:

beware of hitting flares while AA.  hitting a flare while AA (mobile or stationary) results in team damage.  why the flare is considered team i don't know but it is.
you sure on that one?

i think you will find its not it just means your missile missed and kept going and well the next thing it found to bite was just a team air asset..
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6806

Horseman 77 wrote:

Helicopter Flares. This may seem obvious But when I release flares I bottom the Collective or try and drop down and stay amongst my Flares. As they Drop I drop with them. Hopefully they will mask my Signature longer. I Recalled Reading that a Soviet chopper pilot did the same. I believe it was Tom Clancy's " The Cardinal of the Kremlin." That described the Technique. It seems to work and I don't notice anyone else doing it. Excellent post by the way
If you followed your flares closely in real life it wouldn't help you much, as AA missiles explode before impact slamming a cone of shrapnel into your aircraft :p
Crazy Tom Clancy and his insane ideas.
thinner44
+1|6830

Stoned_Smurfz wrote:

WormGuts wrote:

you sure on that one?

i think you will find its not it just means your missile missed and kept going and well the next thing it found to bite was just a team air asset..
I agree with Smurfz.... I've been done a few times for TD after my missiles went awry because of flares... not the flare itself being a member of my team. I hate it when it happens... so I wait till a new-ish pilot has deployed all flares before I fire any AA ...... oooh can you imagine if it was real life-like, chaff and ECM, that would be preety neat
Paladus902
The Last Man Standing
+1|6807
A good map to get the AA badge on is the Zetar Wetlands.  Grab yourself the AA vehicle and wait in the treeline by the base before you cross the river and head to the main MEC installation. You should have a clear line of site to the base in the middle, and if its occupied, you can keep the helo on the ground permenantly if you need to.
Like everyones been saying, you get a lock on and they drop flares, raise your aiming reticle and then put it back down quickly, and you should have a quick and clean lock.
However, because the helicopters still emitting heat, you can just fire your anti-air missles anyway, even if it has deployed its flares, its still one heck of a large heat signature thats standing quite still on the ground.  You dont always need a lock to hit your target

For helo pilots, I tend to strafe as much as possible, you'd be suprised how many missiles will miss you and you still have good aim for your target.
BrightAsh
+1|6837

bluehavoc8686 wrote:

To freaking easy. Really too easy. Take a Linebacker or Tunguska, and start shooting infantry. No one said you need to take down choppers or planes, you just need 15 kills (or so) in an AA unit.
bluehavoc8686
will frag for food
Cool. Thanks guys. For some reason, I was thinking only stationary AA units. The other day I spent the entire freakin time on Oman on the carrier in the AA unit shooting at the spawn raping jet fighters and choppers. This sounds like a much better idea. Porbably will do good things for my developing ulcer which I have named BF2. Kidding, I don't have an ulcer... at least I don't think I do *winces*
cmdwedge
More TK's than you can poke a stick at
+5|6830|Canberra, Australia
Or jump into a Stinger and become Commander... and start artying everything in sight.
Ace.O.Lamb
Got Lamb?
+56|6294|Outside your Back window
hmmm

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard