Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6513|Sydney, Australia
OK, I recently acquired this game (through legal channels) and have been going about it for a bit. The graphics and immense game play are brilliant, but I have some qualms as to whether or not I'm doing things right.

Here's the problem: I've watched other people play and it seems like they can take down enemies very quickly. For me however, armed with a steel longsword and dwarven shield, I'll be down to 10 health before I can kill something like a headless zombie. It seems as though the damage system is indifferent to how many times I slash my sword, the little health icon over the target crosshair is tiny and yet it'll take about 4-5 slashes before I down the enemy.

I also tried my hand over at the arena, made it to brawler and am now stuck at the battle with the two twin elves.

Now, you might think to yourself "Yeah, you're probably just some level 6 guy who thinks he can take on the world."

You'd be right if I was level 6, but I'm actually level 15!

So here's my character (first time I heard that in-game life can suck compared to reality).
Level 15 Imperial. Endurance, intelligence, strength and willpower ~60. Personality and luck 50 and agility and speed <40. I have 400 gold, own a shack on the water front and the weapon that does the most damage is a glass claymore at 11. My health is at a grand 201 and I'm ALWAYS over-encumbered.

So what do you guys think? Is it just me or am I sounding the repressed rebellious symphony of the populous?

Last edited by Vub (2007-07-09 08:16:28)

heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6407|New York
That little difficulty slider needs to be adjusted. They have specifically included it so that you can adjust the gameplay to fit your character. I'd suggest turning it down a hair. I had to do that with my character, and things have gotten manageable, vs. almost impossible.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Canadian_Sniper_X
+45|6507|Kamloops, BC Canada
Thats your problem... you are level 15 but have crappy stats. And seeing as enemies level up with you, it causes a problem. Download Kobu's Leveling Mod. It makes things better. (If you have a PC)

OR

When you make a character... make the minor stats the ones you would use. I.e. Make a warrior but put warrior skills as Minor and stuff like magic as major. So that when you level the warrior skills you don't level you character.
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6839|Belgium

What are your skills stats (heavy armor, hand 2 hand, etc ...) ?

R
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6779
Levelling actually makes you weaker, as it has very little impact on your stats. In fact, if you never sleep, you'll be almost invincible, as your stats will increase, but the enemies wont get any tougher. Since you're still using a steel swrod but are level 15, I'm guessing you levelled way too quickly. Your only solutions are to restart the game and sleep less often, or to lower the difficulty and not sleep for ages (until you are ocmfortable with the enemy difficulty).
Heavy_Guns_91
I hand out purple hearts like candy
+72|6421|Alberta, Canada
Alot of people think it's easiest to just not level up at all. ( I think they're retards )
The thing about it is, the higher the level you are, the harder your enemies will get. (Yes, you read it right... You get stronger, and instead of staying the same, your enemies also grow in strength.)
So, the easiest thing I think you can do is just turn down the difficulty bar a notch.

For the arena, I suggest going for the other elf, leaving the one with the bow shooting at you. Keep them both at your front and as soon as you see the bow elf get ready to fire, pull up your shield. Arrow hits shield, and you continue fighting the other elf.

I always beef my strength up at least one point every level. Your strength level determines your power, but more importantly, it determines your weight capacity. If you're always being over-encumbered, try selling off the heavy stuff that you really don't need. (I kept my sword which I can't remember exactly what it was, and my silver claymore. I can then take out enemies, and ghosts.)

It may have also helped that I was a light-armoured kind of guy. I like mobility over protection
If you went heavy aroumor, there's a reason why you're over-encumbered   (Note though: when you reach level 100 for heavy armour, I'm pretty sure that it negates the weight of the armour, making it feather light for your character.
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6548|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia
Personally I try to create a character that has a decent balance of magic and fighting qualities. Your initial problem is selecting the Imperial class as it's one of those "jack of all trades master of none" sort of character. Try to balance out your swordfighting and magicka so that you also use a large amount of spells in battle as that may tip the balance in your favour.

Next time you are up at character selection try to pick a character that is a "master" of a certain quality. If you wish to go with shields and swords go with either the Orc or Redguard, Redguard being the better of the two. If you wish to go the magic way try either a Breton or a High Elf, Breton being my personal favourite.

The other classes are largely useless and only have novelty advantages (such as the Argonian waterbreathing quality or the Khajiit see-in-the-dark advantage).

It's also possible that you've tried to gain levels too quickly which has meant your enemies have beaten you easily because you most of your minor traits have not risen with your majority traits. What class did you choose at the start of the game? By Level 15 you should really be into the glass stuff. A steal longsword and dwarven shield will not cut it at level 15. You must put some serious cash into buying a glass claymore and a top-notch glass shield (as gay as they make you look).

Hope this may help, the first time playing the game can really suck. If you keep having problems try turning the difficulty down in the game settings. Although you may feel like you are cheating the game will become less frustrating and more enjoyable.
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6538|Adelaide, South Australia

This may help with levelling, and, honestly, if you're not using anything over Dwarvern at lvl 15, you going to have a very hard time winning fights.

Also, zombies are notoriously hard to kill. I suggest raiding some Forts along the main roads and finding one full of Marauders. They'll carry the best armour and weaponry to suit you.
{HMS}_jee
+15|6664
Go and get the Umbra sword as well, it should make your life a little easier. Go to the Vindasel ruin which is a short trip southwest of the Imperial City. There's only rats and a few traps to contend with in there so should be rather easy. When you reach the npc at the end, pickpocket her and make her follow you to the gas trap (don't attack her or you'll get minced rather quickly ).
Once there just run around the trap until she drops dead, and now you have some decent armour and teh uber sword all to yourself
Vub
The Power of Two
Thank you all for your enlightened solutions. Now here are a few more questions to tickle your respective brains.

1. Do enemies and items regenerate in forts, ruins and caves? If I adjust the difficulty slider down and go into one to completely decimate the inhabitants, next time I return are they going to be there again for another session?

2. What should a quintessential Level 15 character have as his various skill and attribute levels?
Dragonclaw
+186|6324|Florida

Vub wrote:

Thank you all for your enlightened solutions. Now here are a few more questions to tickle your respective brains.

1. Do enemies and items regenerate in forts, ruins and caves? If I adjust the difficulty slider down and go into one to completely decimate the inhabitants, next time I return are they going to be there again for another session?

2. What should a quintessential Level 15 character have as his various skill and attribute levels?
1. Every 3 days. It becomes repetitive in that area.

2. I dont know, I always start my characters at level 30ish so I have a real challenge.
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6663|Camoran's Paradise
Your skill levels depend on what you are trying to focus on (magic, blade, balance, etc). 

Here is my little tip for staying alive: be a coward.  When I'm out and about I look for an area that I can jump on (rock, ledge) that an NPC can't (they are retarded like that).  Then just proceed to summon or shoot arrows.

Last edited by Ganko_06 (2007-07-09 18:08:38)

gene_pool
Banned
+519|6640|Gold coast, Aus.
OK, I recently acquired this game(through legal channels)
Hhahaha I only had to read that before I knew the answer was no.
Vub
The Power of Two

gene_pool wrote:

OK, I recently acquired this game(through legal channels)
Hhahaha I only had to read that before I knew the answer was no.
Haha
Phatso
The Moisture
+49|6714|South Africa
Efficient Levelling... Check the UESP guide.

If i am not mistaken :

You need 20 Minor skill points in the relevant atrributes you want +5 modifiers in and 10 (split up 3.3.4) Major skill points to level efficiently. ie : when you level up, you will be able to +5 your main attributes (all 3).

I had to start a new character because of how gimped mine was...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6790|PNW

The game is much easier if you don't level. Trust me. If you just run around improving your skills and not character level, the monster difficulty won't slide up. Unfortunately, battles will become rather dull.
Vub
The Power of Two

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

The game is much easier if you don't level. Trust me. If you just run around improving your skills and not character level, the monster difficulty won't slide up. Unfortunately, battles will become rather dull.
Yeah and the weapons you can get are worse? I read that from somewhere.

And to Phatso: Do tell about your gimped character! I really can't be bothered to start again, but I want to see how badly gimped your character was.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6671
efficient leveling? bullshit. No levelling? bullshit. I've played through oblivion three times:

first time, I didnt know a thing. I had no trouble fighting stuff
second time, I knew what skills to choose and how to use them. I could take on most things in a normal fight, but even the toughest enemies went down easy if I used my character to the fullest.

the third time, I made my ideal character and used the OOO mod from the start. The game got rediculously easy after a few levels.

So, skills are important. Stuff like mercantile, speechcraft, athletics, and acrobatics is a wasted slot. Illusion is a must-have for ANY character. any character that's not a pure mage should have at least blade (not marksman) and an armor type. Alchemy is very useful for those who know how to use it. security is nice but can really be left alone: learn how to lockpick and you can do it with any skill level.

An overview:

combat skills:
  • only one type of weapon. Anything else is a waste and will leave you weaker 1 skill
  • block is useful for a character focused more on physical combat and being able to 'run and slash'
  • choose one kind of armor 2 skills
magic skills:
  • Illusion is a must. Invisibility, night-eye, charm, calm (highly underrated), frenzy are all vital spells 3 skills
  • Alchemy is useful: potions are powerful: they can make you a lot stronger and keep you going in combat.

3 skills are vital. after that, you have to choose a package that works: block, restoration, armorer, and alchemy for a fighter. Sneak, alchemy, mysticism, and an extra skill for a sneaky character. The extra skill can be anything you like really. I'd recommend Security (just to make things easier)

hope it makes sense. Its 4 am, i should go to bed or something

oh, and focus on endurance early on in the game, you need to get it up to raise your hitpoints.

Last edited by SargeV1.4 (2007-07-10 18:46:47)

https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6779
What do calm and frenzy actually do?
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6671
as long as an enemy is calmed, it will act as if it were neutral towards you and stop attacking you for the duration of the spell. You can basically stab, cast calm, stab, cast calm, etc.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Vub
The Power of Two
I followed your advice and set the difficulty level down Amazingly the game is a lot more fun now that I have a chance of killing my enemies. And in those 1 against 3 fights I have a good chance of survival! This makes me happy, because this is what I spent my money on, virtual, unrealistic pleasure derived from 345600 pixels dancing around on the screen (yes I have to set it to low because I run it on a laptop ). Yes, I have indeed reached my epiphany, we play games to have fun, time to give my injured ego a reality check.

Of course some of you more ardent players may regard me with disdain as I have to turn down the difficulty to survive in Cyrodil, but to you I say this: If you regard a computer game, a product of someone else's imagination, the definitive examination of skill, then you should reconsider who is most pitiful out of us two. Now I hope this message doesn't have to apply to anyone here, we're all savvy internet buddies right?

One more thing, I think levelling up is important because of the nature of weapons you can pick up, types of creatures you can battle, and also the amount of loot you can acquire. People who consistently stay on level 6 will find buying their first home to be a very difficult task
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6839|Belgium

SargeV1.4 wrote:

as long as an enemy is calmed, it will act as if it were neutral towards you and stop attacking you for the duration of the spell. You can basically stab, cast calm, stab, cast calm, etc.
I must admit that I never considered the calm spell.

Makes me wonder if enchanting a weapon with the calm spell would work, if possible.

R

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard