jdoog
+0|6107
Hi, in BF2 online i enter a game and it gets choppy for a couple minutes. I have 2 gigs of ram and dont know why it still stutters. The settings i use in game are the high option but i changed the res to 1280x1024 at 75hz
Here are my specs

Vista Home premium
Intel Core Duo CPU 4300 @1.87ghz
2 gigs of pc5300 ddr2 667 ram
nvidia 8600 gts
sigmatel onboard audio

Thanks
mafropetee
+18|6114|Altamonte Springs, FL
first of all, this might belong in the Tech forum. im not sure though.

second, there are a few possible culprits. your internet connection might be cruddy, you might have a program running in the background hogging some of the ram, there could be a vista issue, vista itself could be hogging some of the ram (it is in fact a ram hog), or one of many other solutions.

do the ctrl-alt-del thing, go to the performance tab, and check PF usage. dont worry about the number blow the chart, just look at the chart. if its showing that something is using a large amount of your PF, then check your processes tab. look under mem usage for each active process and see if anything is rediculously high (like over 100,000 K). if thats all fine, then it very well could just be vista.

also, whats the status of your internet connection? do you have anything like frostwire or limewire or ares open? those are some major bandwidth hogs and cause games to lag a lot if they are open. also what kind of internet connection do you have?

i would say the CPU might be choking on it but i doubt it. i used to play BF2 on a pentium 4 with no HT at around 2.9GHz which for a P4 isnt very much and i didnt have any major issues related to it. but to be safe, maybe try overclocking the CPU (if you think you can... its not very hard). for help on that, this thread over at TechReport should help. but again, i highly doubt the CPU is the cluprit.
Chorcai
+49|6618|Ireland
have your desktop @ 75hz and your game at 75 or 60/60hrz
jdoog
+0|6107
i get 50-70 fps on servers and ya i think its vista my memory is at 1.7 gb when it starts chugging O.O any vista solutions?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
none really it should be fine.. tried lowering some settings?
jdoog
+0|6107
which settings would you prefer i lower
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

jdoog wrote:

which settings would you prefer i lower
1. AntiAliasing
2. Dynamic Lighting
3. Dynamic Shadows
4. Textures
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6465|Sydney, Australia
It could be your harddrive reading the volume and causing the game to temporarily freeze. Also, it could be your internet connection.
_MysT1C_Ri|)er_
+4|6145
Ya I get the same choppy/stuttering in game.  I have all my settings on low except for geometry and effects which are on medium.  My resolution is set on 1024x768@75hertz (same as my desktop).

Inside my computer - 2 gigs of RAM, Nvidia 7600, 2.4 processor, 120 gb hard drive, 350W power supply.  I also have a router that is connected to two other computers (that at the moment aren't being connected to the router), and XBOX Live that is on just as much as my computer is running.

So just as jdoog is asking....why would my stuff still stutter/lag/be all sorters of choppy?
Grundge
+0|6127
I would guess that your hard drive is thrashing.  The choppiness stops after a bit of time, right?  Happens to me as well.  I just wait it out.  Most likely unloading memory taken up by other applications that you had running.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6351|the land of bourbon
packet loss is my guess... it sounds like you don't have any hardware issues, and you have multiple PCs on a router.  check your router, b/c higer-end models can manage the packets without dropping them to your ISP.  you probably don't lose enough to disconnect you, but the game play will be laggy.  try the netmon app to see what your internet connection is doing.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
mafropetee
+18|6114|Altamonte Springs, FL
i dont see how lowering any settings will help. thats all mostly related to the graphics card. right now, im running on a pentium D 820, 2GB ram, and, get this, an ATi X1300PRO 256MB. now that is one seriously crappy card. but  can still run BF2 with all settings (even AA) on max. so him having an 8600GTS, an IMMENSELY more powerful card than the X1300PRO, i dont think that is the culprit.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

jdoog wrote:

Hi, in BF2 online i enter a game and it gets choppy for a couple minutes. I have 2 gigs of ram and dont know why it still stutters. The settings i use in game are the high option but i changed the res to 1280x1024 at 75hz
Here are my specs

Vista Home premium
Intel Core Duo CPU 4300 @1.87ghz
2 gigs of pc5300 ddr2 667 ram
nvidia 8600 gts
sigmatel onboard audio

Thanks
I've got pretty much the same specs as you, however a 7600GT card, and XP. I think its a Vista issue. Have you played BF on this machine before you installed vista?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
PsychoKillers
Walking Sniper, Hidden Claymore
+11|6574
Vista takes A LOT of RAM
_MysT1C_Ri|)er_
+4|6145
So for me it is having multiple things connected to my router?
mr. LuxusLexus
+11|6184
Same problem here.
Vista 32bit
E6600
2gigs of ram
raptor disk
8800GTS 640Mb
i suspect it`s a combination of writing to disk and a bad Internet connection.
is there any effect of using 4gigs of ram i vista?
jdoog
+0|6107
It probably is Vista, i dont see any reason to upgrade to 4 gigs to run a pretty dated game, i'm just gonna wait it out till microsoft and nvidia get there act together, in the meantime ill keep trying stuff and let you guys know what worked.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6721|Chicago.
I'm going to move this to Tech for you.
-|TS|-owNzu7
+6|6389
Well, Vista could be somewhat of a problem.  I'm not totally sure but I know that even on idle the rendered home takes quite a load on your RAM...

It could also be caused by what type of monitor you have. depending on if its an LCD and whatnot.
jdoog
+0|6107
i have an LCD whats wrong with it?
dubbs
+105|6602|Lexington, KY

-|TS|-owNzu7 wrote:

Well, Vista could be somewhat of a problem.  I'm not totally sure but I know that even on idle the rendered home takes quite a load on your RAM...

It could also be caused by what type of monitor you have. depending on if its an LCD and whatnot.
His display will not effect choppy game play, that would effect refresh rates, but not game play.  I would say that it is Vista.  You can try turning all the Aero stuff off, but I do not think you can even use Aero since your card is not DX10.
Ryan
+1,230|6813|Alberta, Canada

Quick question here.

If your monitors refresh rate is 60Hz, would the game play better at say 75Hz?
jdoog
+0|6107
my card is dx10 and yes i have aero off and disabled services from tweak guides i read, i dont know what else to do lol.
dubbs
+105|6602|Lexington, KY

jdoog wrote:

my card is dx10 and yes i have aero off and disabled services from tweak guides i read, i dont know what else to do lol.
Sorry for some reason I saw a 6800.  Do you see the same choppy game play on single player?  Do you have the same issue with lower settings?  I am not for sure, but I heard that Vista is choppy with DX10 games anyways.  You can try reinstalling DX9L, the DX9 for Vista.
jdoog
+0|6107
No, gameplay in singleplayer is flawless, and i havent tried lower settings cause it looks pretty bad lol. where can i download DX9L. (btw thanks for your help)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard