PitViper401
The Magnetic Bullet Attractor
+31|6712|Illinois
I can read the signs (and hear the horrifying sounds from my pc case) and its time to replace my hard drive.  My only question is, does SATA150 really provide that much of an improvement over Ultra ATA133?  This is the only issue stopping me from buying a new hard drive right now.

For reference, the two hard drives I'm deciding between are:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB SATA150

and

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB Ultra ATA133

as you can see, the only major difference is the connector so everything else is basically a moot point.
+0|6688
Well SATA is the NEWER technology over the old ATA's, so I would lean towards the newer one. Kinda like comparing AGP vs. PCI-e.
DSRTurtle
+56|6699
If your machine supports it, go SATA.  It's worth the investment.
PitViper401
The Magnetic Bullet Attractor
+31|6712|Illinois
thats what I was thinking, I just wanted a second opinion.  Time to break out the credit card.
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6688|Planet Seibertron ;)
Deciding on SATA depends on whether you wish to benefit from what SATA has to offer.  SATA is the interface we'll be using in future systems that not only provides better performance but also better cooling airflow and better power consumption.  Then there's the possibility of it being hot swappable if your system can handle it.

My preference say to go with SATA.  Many others may echo the same vote.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6685
GO SATA!  You will not be disapointed, load times improve a ton.

I am running the WD raptor 76 gig.  One of the best upgrades I have made.
Maj.Do
+85|6765|good old CA
go sata, i have a Seagate bara.  160gig 7200RPM and a Raptor 76gig
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6857|Bryan/College Station, TX
While I support everyone's opinions on SATA I will point out a few things you need to be aware of.

1. Make certain you have SATA support on your motherboard.

2. SATA allows the cable connection to be longer to your HD. Instead of the standard max of 18" you can go beyond if your case setup needs it.

3. SATA requires a special power connection. While the molox cables that have been standard for years provide enough power you will need a SATA HD power connection. They are smaller. So hopefully when you order the drive you get this adapter with it. If not then you will have to buy the adapter separately.

SATA connection is faster than ATA. The transfer rate will increase. For many this doesn't matter but for those who are accessing information on their HD constantly then this is a big difference.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6709|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
@ Maj.Do and Stealth42o
since when has there been a 76gb raptor , o yeah go with the bara
duffry
Moderator Emeritus
+148|6852|Cheshire, UK
The Seagate Baracuda is a top drive, been using them for a while now with no problems while other drives have fallen by the wayside.

I moved over to SATA recently putting two Baracudas in RAID 1 and two Western Digital Raptors in RAID 0 (crazy fast loading). Couldn't be happier with them.

Sorry this isn't more technical but thought a personal thumbs up for some drives might help.
DSRTurtle
+56|6699
the raptor is 10000rpm drive.
iLLmatic
+0|6763|uk
sata everytime.

I have 2 x 74GB raptors.. superb drives and so so so quick.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6857|Waikato, Aotearoa
IDE dude. Easier to use and operate (XP for some reason doesnt like SATA and prefers IDE.)
Oh and on another note the WD Raptor is prolly a VERY expensive 76 GB HDD. For the same price you can get
a 200GB HDD. There are equivilent IDE versions of the 10K RPM SATA
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6709|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
omg its a 74gb raptor get it right not 76gb
iLLmatic
+0|6763|uk

-101-InvaderZim wrote:

IDE dude. Easier to use and operate (XP for some reason doesnt like SATA and prefers IDE.)
Oh and on another note the WD Raptor is prolly a VERY expensive 76 GB HDD. For the same price you can get
*sighs*

IDE = So much slower.

Update your self nab.
vjs
+19|6784
Go with the sata if you can. Also go with the 10K drive if you can afford it. Do you really need more than 40G of storage space???

My preference is the 15K scsi but then again that's money.
Hoosyourdaddy
+0|6771|NZ
One thing that people tend to forget, is that the actual drive in the case is pretty much the same in both SATA and IDE. The drive will have a maximum internal transfer rate (e.g. Barracuda 7200.8 is 95MB/s peak or 65MB/s sustained) so you would be lucky to saturate an ATA/66 channel with one drive - different story with more than one drive though...
What you really are looking for is avg access time, which is a function of the spindle speed - the faster the spindle speed, the quicker the access.

The big benefit to SATA is that each data channel is seperate (not shared like IDE), plus there are nifty routines in the SATA interface/protocol to optimise data access.

Basically, go with SATA if your motherboard supports it...as you will be able to use the drive in later computers.
Plus, you will get a small performance benefit over IDE - the benefit gets bigger when you start striping/RAIDing them!
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6789|Kansas, USA

iLLmatic wrote:

-101-InvaderZim wrote:

*sighs*

IDE = So much slower.

Update your self nab.
OK, let's get this strait please. The SATA interface is faster than the PATA interface - but the drives are NOT faster!!! The fastest drives today cannot saturate the available bandwith on a PATA 100 interface. A SATA and PATA drive from the same manufacturer are physically the same, only the interface is different. There is only a marginal performance increase because of system overhead when using SATA, but it would be negligible.

That being said, I would still recommend SATA as well just for the convenience - unless you can get the same drive in PATA format for a good discount.

And as far as Windows XP not working well with SATA drives is bogus also - as long as you know what you are doing. You should use the native SATA connections on the motherboard not the ones that are typically from a secondary controller chip. you can use the ones from the secondary controller chip but then you will need to do what is called an F6 install of Windows - so stick with the native connections.

Edit: Hoosyourdaddy, I was still writing my response when you posted. Doh! It just peeves me when people spout off about something that they "think" they know. Anyone who goes out and buys a SATAII drive thinking it will be twice as fast as a SATA drive because the bandwidth is doubled is a moron.

Last edited by Psycho (2006-01-31 17:04:27)

Hoosyourdaddy
+0|6771|NZ
I know, Psycho....I've spent years in the server hardware world and constantly have to 'advise' friends who are paying twice the money for the latest buzzy thing....when in reality they don't need to!
Look at AGP vs PCI-E. Yes, in theory the interface is faster, but the amount of actual traffic over the bus isn't any more than AGp can handle. No-one (yet) is planning to bring out a 7800 on AGP as they want to sell more in the PCI-E SLI format...

Remember everybody.....buzzy marketing terms don't mean much most of the time!
BUT: If you are buying new gear, and the price difference isn't much, buy the new stuff....
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6747|Singapore
Hey dude if u got the cash to burn, buy twin 74gb raptor drives. They really rock:P
harleyds
+0|6691
When you go looking for you new SATA drive, check out Slickdeals.net.

There was a post for a 160 GB Sata drive for $50 after rebate.  The Rebate promotion is over now, you can still get the drive for $80.

I find alot of great prices for PC parts on there.

I also agree about SATA II not being any faster than SATA I.  You will not get double the speed.  It is meant for servers and high end workstations running mutliple tasks as the same time.  Not for gaming or heavy PC usage.  Save your buck and still with SATA I.

As for why someone would favor IDE over SATA, do some research please and learn the progression of the technology tree.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard