SectorNine50
+1|6217
Alright, so I'll start with my set-up:

HP DV2000t Notebook
Windows XP Home SP2
2 Gigs Ram
2 Ghz Core 2 Duo (Centrino)
nVidia GeForce GO 7200 (128 Meg Ram Built-In)
80 Gb Hard drive

So here is the story, I had been playing BF2 pretty regularly for about 4 months before I decided I wanted more ram so I could run everything on higher graphics (Flight Simulator X particularly).  I go from 2 x 512 Mb to 2 x 1 Gb Ram, and everything goes smoothly, until I try to up the graphics (from low on everything and a max draw distance to high on everything) on BF2.  While the game runs, it runs very smoothly, no video lag whatsoever so I know my computer can handle the graphics.  FSX works brilliantly with the graphics cranked up, but BF2 for some reason decides it wants to crash every time I try to play.  The game loads fine, I can connect to a server, the map loads, and then I start to run around, and anywhere from 5 seconds to 3 minutes into game play the game will either completely lock-up (can't even ctrl+alt+delete or alt+tab or anything) or just flat out exit to windows.  However, it doesn't just exit to windows, it feels like it must change the resolution to 800x600 (from 1280x800) and then lowers the colors more than I thought possible, 4 bit color.  Wow.  I have been messing with the paging file size, and it seems like the game runs longer the higher I set the paging file.  I went from 2069 megs to 4000 megs minimum and a 6000 meg max.

I am honestly out of ideas.  I have the latest drivers from nVidia, the RAM works very well on every other single thing I do.  Even the infinitely more complex graphics of FSX work flawlessly and as long as I want.  I don't understand why upping the graphics would cause the game to crash when the graphics in comparison to other games I play the graphics aren't all that great.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Fateless
+36|6268|Jennifer Connellys Pants
Hi man, might be a heat problem with the new ram..as you didnt get crashes before the upgrade. Where is the laptop sitting, ie good venting?.
It could even be faulty ram, perhaps try returning for another set. Does it crash at any other time?

Also im pretty sure thats too high a paging fie size..150% of physical ram size is a good balanced number.

Fateless
SectorNine50
+1|6217
The laptop has the extended battery, so it's ass-end is sitting in the air a good amount.  The underbody (where the ram is) gets lots of ventilation.

I was thinking it could be faulty ram too, but BF2 is literally the ONLY thing that crashes!  The rest runs absolutely amazing!  I don't know if you know about the graphic intensity in FSX, but I can play that game for 3 hours straight and have no hang-ups, video lag, or crashes.

I know that big of a paging file is too much, but I was just messing with settings, hoping something would fix it.  I love the game, but don't understand why it is doing this.  I just got that reality mod that looks fun too! :'(

I'll see if it keeps doing it on the old ram really quick.
SectorNine50
+1|6217
Alright, so I swapped out the ram back to standard and the game works fine, very slowly, but it doesn't crash.  I checked the ram and it is definitely compliant with my computer.  However, it is Patriot Memory, and I'm not sure of it's quality.  It's strange to me that it would crash still because when I take the chips out, they aren't warm at all.  It still doesn't explain why it runs everything else perfectly and very fast and stable for long periods of time.  Is there a setting I have to change in BF2?
Fateless
Hmm, well, if its not crashing when you use the old ram, i think we've found your culprit.
Try running memtest from, here: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/memtest.html.

But either way, i'd try sending it back. The ram chips should at least be "warm" after use... There are no settings that will stop the crashes IMO, and although i hate to suggest it, perhaps a reinstall may solve it if you have no luck with replacement ram. Hope that helps, ill check up on the thread later.

Fateless.
geNius
..!.,
+144|6468|SoCal
Try putting the new sticks in slots 1 and 3, and the old sticks in slots 2 and 4.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
SectorNine50
+1|6217
I'll run that memtest thing and get back to you guys.

It is warm, but what I meant was that it wasn't overheating since that was one suggestion.  I actually have done 2 reformats and clean installs of Windows since I got the ram, I tried Vista out, decided it's too inefficient, and went back to XP.  Neither changed anything. :'(  I e-mailed Patriot Memory to see what they say.

I would try swapping the the sticks around, but I only have 2 slots! :-P (It's a notebook)
Fateless
Yeah well, it defiantly sounds like the ram, but post again when you've checked. And i meant a reinstall of BF2....

Fateless
SectorNine50
+1|6217
I ran the tests over night, came up with no errors! :-\  It does seem like the RAM for sure, I can't see it being anything else, just strange that it only effects BF2.

I know you meant reinstall BF2, I was just saying that I have since it's happened because I reformatted my PC twice.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll see if running the chips one at a time produces anything interesting.
Fateless
No problems, i cant really think of anything else apart from trying what geNius  suggested, so good luck mate.

Fateless
SectorNine50
+1|6217
Alright, so I've done a couple things.  1) I exchanged the RAM just to see if that was the problem.  While it the game did run for MUCH longer without crashing, it still did crash. :-\  2) I logged my GPU core temperatures during gameplay and found that my nVidia GPU hit it's temperature threashold which would mean that it would slow down it's performance, probably what is causing BF2 to crash.  I guess that's what I get for gaming on a laptop!  Good thing I am building a desktop later this summer! ;-)  Thanks for your help guys, I think I just have to deal with the graphics on low so the GPU doesn't overheat.
SectorNine50
+1|6217
Yikes, well I'm back again, found out that my GPU core really isn't overheating, but this weird problem still persists.  However, I did an experiment:  I ran the game in window mode instead of fullscreen mode thinking that maybe I would be able to see an error box this time.  So I started playing, and like clockwork the game locked up.  However, this time, a nifty little box popped up.  Before clicking anything, I wrote down everything it said:

Debug assertion failed

Version: 1.1.2965-7970.0 Build date: 2006-9-26 17:53
Module: ParticleSystem
File: D:\Aphrodite\BF2_1.4\Code\BF2\Geom\ParticleSystem\TrailRenderer.cpp
Line: 647

Text: Lock Failed

[Cancel] [Try Again] [Continue]

All three buttons led to the same thing, the windows closing, and me ending up back at my desktop.  Strange thing was that I did it again and got a slightly different error, the File and Line codes were different:

File: D:\Aphrodite\BF2_1.4\Code\BF2\Geom\ParticleSystem.cpp
Line: 668

Text: Failed to Lock

Everything else was the same, does this give anyone any sort of clue as to what could be causing my BF2 to crash?
Fateless
Oh dear, your back! Well, try a different video driver altogether. Use this one and see if the results are any different. http://www.tweaksrus.com/index.php?opti … Itemid=41/

Will check back later.

Fateless.
SectorNine50
+1|6217
Alright!  So I thought I'd post here to tell everyone my findings.  I had posted on several forums with this problem trying to get a fix.  Reinstalling didn't work, new drivers didn't do it, changing settings did nothing, etc.  Finally, someone recommended a program called GameXP to me on the EA.com Battlefield 2 Forum.  It said in the Readme that the program fixed several problems with DirectX, and when I ran it, viola!  I can play as long as I want now, and at any setting!  I'm so excited you guys have no idea hahaha.  Anyway, I highly recommend this program to anyone having problems!

http: //www.theorica.net/gamexp.htm
Fateless
Nice one, glad you found a fix. Ill check out that program too.

Cheers, Fateless.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6792|Cambridge (UK)

Fateless wrote:

SectorNine50 wrote:

http://www.theorica.net/gamexp.htm
Ill check out that program too.
Me too. Looks good. If it does what it says it does.

A word of warning though - these types of tools can be dangerous - it tweaks a lot of things in the registry and what-not - which is always risky...
Fateless

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Fateless wrote:

SectorNine50 wrote:

http://www.theorica.net/gamexp.htm
Ill check out that program too.
Me too. Looks good. If it does what it says it does.

A word of warning though - these types of tools can be dangerous - it tweaks a lot of things in the registry and what-not - which is always risky...
Agreed. Though this program allows you to save a previous state before anything is changed.

Fateless.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard