Jepeto87
+38|6674|Dublin
Hey im getting a new PC but dont know much on the subject, whats your opinion on this?

-  Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 Processor (2.66GHz,1066MHz,4MB cache)
-  Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English
-  4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
-  320GB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x160GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst™ cache]
-  768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX graphics card
-  128MB Ageia™ PhysX™ physics accelerator PCI card

I just want something for gaming. Thanks
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6431|Stealth City, UK
You obviously don't need our help.....you know what you're talking about

But not with the PhysX card, notihng uses it.

Oh....you forgot a Mobo.

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-07-08 07:57:56)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6754|Cambridge (UK)

Jepeto87 wrote:

Hey im getting a new PC but dont know much on the subject, whats your opinion on this?

-  Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 Processor (2.66GHz,1066MHz,4MB cache)
-  Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English
-  4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
-  320GB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x160GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst™ cache]
-  768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX graphics card
-  128MB Ageia™ PhysX™ physics accelerator PCI card

I just want something for gaming. Thanks
Looks fine.

What's the damage?
Ryan
+1,230|6831|Alberta, Canada

Lucky people and their 8800s
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6619|Washington, DC

...worst PC ever.
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6390|dm_maidenhead
Wait for intel's 22/7 price drops
Jepeto87
+38|6674|Dublin
2300 I know I could get it cheaper but I dont know how to build one myself! Work wont let me take my holidays when I want so ill just get this instead and play games for 2 weeks solid!

Will loads of new games not be using those physics cards in the future? It dos'nt cost too much extra.

Thanks!

Last edited by Jepeto87 (2007-07-08 08:05:03)

buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
I dont know of any game that uses it apart from a tech demo. With an 8800GTX you wont need it anyway.

Where you getting it from?
Hurricane
Banned

Jepeto87 wrote:

2300 I know I could get it cheaper but I dont know how to build one myself! Work wont let me take my holidays when I want so ill just get this instead and play games for 2 weeks solid!

Will loads of new games not be using those physics cards in the future? It dos'nt cost too much extra.

Thanks!
I honestly wouldn't spend the cash on the physics card. Wait until the 22nd for intel's price drops and grab yourself a super sexy quad core for dirt cheap.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6754|Cambridge (UK)

Jepeto87 wrote:

Thanks!
Hmm... yeah, price is a little high (that is in Euro's isn't it?), but not hideously so.

You might want to wait till the end of the month and get quad-core.

And, yeah, future games will make use of physics cards.

So, all in all, not a bad system - I doubt you'll be disappointed.
CDK3Y
+25|6127|BEHIND YOU!
HUGE GRAPHICS! WOW! your gonna be running Crysis and COD4 beautifully...so when are you getting this?
Scorpion0x17
+691|6754|Cambridge (UK)

buLLet_t00th wrote:

I dont know of any game that uses it apart from a tech demo. With an 8800GTX you wont need it anyway.
But using a video card for both graphics and physics means it won't perform quite as well on the graphics side.

A separate hardware physics solution is a better option than a combined graphics/physics one.

The choice, between getting the physics card or not getting it, is, well, marginal. It's going to do nothing out of the box, but will come into its own once games start coming out that support it.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-07-08 08:14:24)

Hurricane
Banned

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

But using a video card for both graphics and physics means it won't perform quite as well on the graphics side.

A separate hardware physics solution is a better option than a combined graphics/physics one.
A quad core can probably handle physics.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

But if the game isn't optimised for the PhysX card (and none have been announced) then theres no point.

So I'd just wait, it can only go down in value.

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-07-08 08:15:25)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6754|Cambridge (UK)

Hurricane wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

A quad core can probably handle physics.
Again, at the cost of performance elsewhere.

A separate solution is always better than asking one component to do two jobs.
Hurricane
Banned

Bullet makes a good point. He can just buy a sexy quad core now and then save up for a PhysX when games come out that need it
Scorpion0x17
+691|6754|Cambridge (UK)

buLLet_t00th wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

But if the game isn't optimised for the PhysX card (and none have been announced) then theres no point.

Rubbish. Lots of them have been announced. The PhysX card is supported by all the major physics middleware solutions (e.g. Havok). Therefore all games built on those physics engines will support it.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6754|Cambridge (UK)

Hurricane wrote:

Bullet makes a good point. He can just buy a sexy quad core now and then save up for a PhysX when games come out that need it
Like I said - it's marginal.

He could also wait a few weeks and get both.

(I really wish people that really don't know what they're talking about would just KEEP THE HELL OUT of the tech section - please leave it to us professionals)

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-07-08 08:22:04)

buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

buLLet_t00th wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Rubbish. Lots of them have been announced. The PhysX card is supported by all the major physics middleware solutions (e.g. Havok). Therefore all games built on those physics engines will support it.
You sure? There was a huge article on this over at Hexus. I think the jist of it was that when the PhysX card was announced the best card was the 7950 (don't quote me on exacts), then the 8800GTX came out and completely blew it away, and with the added QuadCores they didn't see any point in it.

I'll try and find it.
Jepeto87
+38|6674|Dublin
Yeah thats in Euro's and im buying it off Dell, it one of those xps slighlty altered. And I want it yesterday!

The physics card only cost 123 euro or something.

I wonder will Dell drop the price at the end of the month, they never seem to do it?!

Last edited by Jepeto87 (2007-07-08 08:22:37)

r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6437

PhysX  is pointless, only GRAW and GRAW 2 use it. Nice rig btw.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6754|Cambridge (UK)

Jepeto87 wrote:

Yeah thats in Euro's and im buying it off Dell, it one of those xps slighlty altered. And I want it yesterday!

The physics card only cost 123 euro or something.

I wonder will Dell drop the price at the end of the month, they never seem to do it?!
hmm... yeah, you could have to wait a good while for Dell to drop prices...

And, look - whether to get a physics card or not at this point, is up to you - as I said, it'll do nothing out of the box, but in the future it will get utilised.
xRBLx
I've got lovely bunch of coconuts!!
+27|6344|England - Kent
Dont buy a pre buildt unit from Dell there well over priced. if ur in the UK and cant build ur self then buy one from www.overclockers.co.uk good value there.

As for the physics cards i dont know much about them but u can always wait later on and buy it when they drop in price if u dont need it right now.

Last edited by xRBLx (2007-07-08 08:29:03)

Jepeto87
+38|6674|Dublin
Those XPS 720's have Quad-Core and they cost an extra 2000 with less RAM! Dont think id be willing to spend that much!!

Im living in Ireland and loads of English sites wont deliever here.

Last edited by Jepeto87 (2007-07-08 08:28:19)

gwolfman
+1|6225
Here's a few links of supported games:

Code:

http://www.ageia.com/physx/titles.html
http://personal.inet.fi/atk/kjh2348fs/ageia_physx.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_physics_engines#Games_using_PhysX
I think it will all be worth it once Unreal Tournament 3 comes out!

Last edited by gwolfman (2007-07-08 08:38:50)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard